Post your 29er!

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Recovering nicely bud. 50/50 for the COG social ride, but will be good to go in a week or 2.

My OO campaign would have turned to shit if not for the roadie. I gather your hip strain is better by the day?
Good that you're recovering well. The hip is exponentially better every day. Had a ride yesterday, no pace, but no pain at all. I'm good to ramp up the training for the OO now.

Delmar

Likes Dirt
Taken the plunge...

Well I'm a few rides in on my Haro Mary...
IMG_0171.jpgIMG_0170.jpgIMG_0172.jpg

Got the blackflags from crc, didn't realise the hubs were gold... a bit much maybe for my liking... Mary is one of those bikes where I think she's the best looking thing ever to grace my shed one minute, then really odd looking the next...

Bought her on here, got a bit infatuated so have added the forks, blackflags and and XT shifter. 26er dually now sold for money, was going to spend the year researching and contemplating the next move: either 26 or 29 dually. Now after a few rides although I'm not convinced the big wheels are faster (they're not slower), they are SUPER comfortable. Having experienced the awesome ease with which a well sprung 29er front end rolls over stuff, I'm thinking I may not be able to go back to 26!!

Impressions:
- I have had to re calibrate cornering. I felt like a complete noob for the first 30 mins or so in single. Started to feel better after that.
- I guess the mary is not a balls out racer: I can't get saddle to bar drop anything like the ASR I just sold. I'm on the headset, flipped stem, flat bars and I'm 20mm short. Not such a big deal I guess.
- The big wheels really do flatten things well, however.... a hardtail is definitely still a hardtail. I may get used to it and race this thing for the foreseeable future, or I may be in the market for an AX29 (like everyone else) at the end of the year. In the meantime I guess I'll learn to pick lines better!

Bike_freak

Likes Dirt
Australia's lightest Anthem 29er?

My new 2012 Anthem, weight weenie tuned to just 9.93kg with pedals and bottle cage, 2.25" tyre on the front and 2.1" on the bike.

Yes it is 1x10, but it works for me and with 2x10 it would still be about 10.2kg. IMG_0685.jpgIMG_0684.jpgIMG_0694.jpgIMG_0696.jpgIMG_0700.jpgIMG_0703.jpg

ClintC

Likes Dirt
My new 2012 Anthem, weight weenie tuned to just 9.93kg with pedals and bottle cage, 2.25" tyre on the front and 2.1" on the bike.

Yes it is 1x10, but it works for me and with 2x10 it would still be about 10.2kg.
Nice build. Do you mind listing what you changed? About to go down a similar path but only looking to get it under 11kg.

Bike_freak

Likes Dirt
Nice build. Do you mind listing what you changed? About to go down a similar path but only looking to get it under 11kg.
Everything except the frame, fork, rear shock, stem and headset has been swapped out with the parts from my previous bike. It won't be hard to go sub 11kg; get a nice light weight tubeless wheel set, light weight bar and seat post and maybe upgrade the cassette and you should hit 11kg. Also little things like trimming the fork steerer and shortening cables to the right length are a good start on the giants.

aaron01

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Yes it is 1x10, but it works for me and with 2x10 it would still be about 10.2kg. View attachment 223385View attachment 223384View attachment 223386View attachment 223387View attachment 223397View attachment 223398
Got my older model anthem to about 10.7kg, with a change of wheels, and contact points still using a 3x10 XT setup as standard, figure I'll run it till it blows, so 9.93kg doesn't seem particularly impress IMO, If I want to lose the extra 800 odd grams I'll just take a dump before my ride.

krisko

Likes Dirt
If I want to lose the extra 800 odd grams I'll just take a dump before my ride
Damn! If your expelling that much weight, I feel sorry for your plumber! :mmph:

Sub 10kg is very light for an Anthem! Whatever you have been led to believe thats genuine low weight for a very rideable bike that is genuinely rideable.

wintortree

Likes Dirt
Hears Mine, One of the first in the Australia BANDIT 29

Been awhile waiting for them to turn up but my frame turned up and was able to build this sweet ride up. Ride mostly dh so wanted something that would cover all my other riding. i.e. trail AM and XC and stumbled on to these. so went out on a limb with my first 29er. haven't spent much time on it yet but its so much fun. can really charge on this bike.

frame: bandit 29 -130mm
fork: tales 34s -140mm-110mm
shock: rp23
wheels: sunringle charger tubless
tyres: racing ralphs 2.4
bars: enve dh carbon 770mm
stem: cronotec
cranks: xo
drivetrain: x9
brakes: elixer cr carbon.
am waiting on the new KS LEV seat dropper to come in then it will have one

weight 12.9kgs
P1000796.jpgP1000795.jpgP1000794.jpgP1000790.jpgP1000792.jpg

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Once again that bandit is wicked. Just a shame that their XL has an effective TT of only 24.5- that is a large with most other manufacturers. Perhaps they are measuring it differently.If the Aussie importer can keep the price comparative to US prices - they will have a big win with this bike. Transition have a great repution for quality frames and great service.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
yeah 29ers

You might find this thread interesting
Thanks mate, I have read that before and at 6.4/5 I know it aint the bike for me. I have tried the whole shorter TT, reach adjustment and more up right position (Transition designer's arguement) on 29ers and I know that I need a 25.75 ETT so as to run a normal length stem (90mm). I apprieciate that this is more of a trail bike than a racey XC rig with slacker HA and SA (and as such the tt can be shorter) but giants like me cant comfortably fit on this XL frame. When you go really big frames I always find more flex, longer wheelbase (less flickable), still need long stems (90+) and set back posts. Makes me want to go back to 26 for an all purpose trail bike. For general riding a 29er HT is perfect.
Bandit is a super frame - not to take the shine off it in anyway and this build is spot on.

wintortree

Likes Dirt
Wow!
Only 24.5"?
Even a dwarf like me needs a 25+" ETT.

Yea they feel short. But not to short. I'm 6" and run a large v10c and the large still feels fine to me not to short. They designed around wide bars. So this has to be taken into consideration.

A little bit of ride report if anyone is interested.

You ride more in the bike instead of on it which is weird. I know that what they say in there advitising about this bike but it's true. It's not a bad thing just took the first ride to get used to. Only complaint about this is that with out a seat droper it's quite hard to get over the back with the seat up. Never had a problem riding bikes with the seat up before but this one is quite difficult. In saying that with the seat down it's easy to get your weight back and feels very fast. (might just be the seat placement or wide bars that don't let you get back as far) a seat dropper will solve this complaint. (waiting on the KS LEV) it's so rippable. You can just plow through trails. The single pivot is so sweet. I've gotta say it super plush. I haven't noticed any brake jack yet but try not brake when going through rough if I can avoid it.
Never thought I would say 29er wheels are sweet but they are. There is deferent roll over advantages.

The angles are good to really slack for this style bike. Which made me feel right at home. So decending is so much fun. It's very flick able but not like a 26er but way more then all the other 29ers. Jumps well to.

Steering it's really good. I thought it would be like a boat but it's not. Very responsive. In sharp corners I just commit more then on a 26er and I'm just fine. But when the trail starts to stretch out. It just rockets. Very fast in single track.

Climbing
Being a Dh back round company so every thing is tuned for decending. But I will say first thing I noticed was how efficient it is climbing.(it climbs so much better then the 2009 specialized enduro) Im keeping up with my xc Lycra wearing brother now which I never did before. And can still smash him on the downs. Being almost 13kgs is noticeable when accelerating but once it's up to speed it's really easy to keep it unto speed. 2x10 is so good. This is the first time ive run it. I guess you could go a lighter build but I didn't want to take away from the decending capabilities of this bike.

If your from a dh background or is more about going down then up then I would strongly recomend this bike. It's very good decender and also climbs well to. But where it shines is on the flat. The 29er valve of fast rolling and roll over is unbeatable. I really think it's the closest bike to a AM 26er with 29er wheels.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Hardly built yet, but will be soon. 2012 Santa Cruz Tallboy, large, blue - hard to find detailed images of this frame so I kind-of bought it sight-unseen (cheers Kerry from Phantom!):

Yes, I'm running a Hope Trials rear hub with the top six carrier-cogs from an 11-34 cassette. Dual rings up front. I'm mainly a single-speeder, so 12 gears should be more than enough.

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
I thought you were more of a shit stirrer Steve rather than a SS'r...

Beautiful frame, Colour isn't bad either :)