Post your 29er!

JCB

Likes Bikes
View attachment 228289
I don't think I've seen anyone post one of these yet so here's mine!

This is my first 29'er and after reading endless "pro's and con's of the 29'er" articles before the purchase, it pretty much rides exactly as I expected it would.

It rails corners amazingly well and on an undulating trail it holds it's speed so well it sometimes feels as if there is a motor in there somewhere. Not as much fun to throw around as the 26" bike but it's not a pig by any means. This is my first time on Rockshox forks and the Sids don't feel as plush as the Fox forks on my other bikes but I'm still playing with pressure settings and they haven't had a whole lot of time to bed in yet so time will tell.

It's early days yet, I've only ridden 80km or so, but so far so good!
That rig looks amazing!

MountGower

Likes Dirt
You can get them in stealth black with no decal from your good friends at Hong Fu, Long Teng and a host of others. Many versions of stealth black available from each of them.

Hools

Likes Dirt
cobia-1.jpg

My first mountain bike. Trek Cobia. I've had this for two months. Changed grips and pedals straight away, will be changing pedals again really soon. Changed to a 1 x 10 setup this week. Love it. Still working a few things out and have many, many questions.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Nice fork Sumgy/TR

Is that a Jones fork on the sheep? how does it ride/ Has it been a while since you ran it rigid?
Tell me does Shannon have anything to do with Slingshot bikes anymore - he is still a distributor on their site?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
A day to day trainer...

Cannondale make a very reasonable bike for (at times) entertainingly unreasonable prices. Way too expensive. And yet I've just bought one...

2012 Cannondale Trail SL2 - Cannondale's entry level 29er that comes in no less than six different versions including a single speed. This one is second from the top and retails at close to $1,600. Quite what makes Cannondale, the local distro and your dealer think it's worth that sort of ask is open to interpretation given that it is not that well specced for that price point. The following ingredients: RS Recon Silver fork, SRAM X5 10spd driveline, Avid Juicy 1 brakes and Formula hubbed wheels don't shout $1,600 when there's more than a few brands/models that will have similar specs for around a k. Anway...

The original plan was to get a day to day trainer/basher to replace the old Learsport 'Scaffold'. Hardtail 29er was the type and ~$750 was the budget. Nearest thing with the best value spec to that price point that I could find within my availability network was the Fuji Nevada 1.0 for a quoted price of $855. Suntour XCR fork, Deore 10psd driveline, Tektro Draco hydro brakes. That'll do. Two weeks back and fore by the LBS with the Fuji distro failed to extract a large Nevada from the warehouse.

So the LBS said sod it - "You can have the large SL2 in the window for $900 or the large SL4 in the window for $700".

Hmmm....extra fifty bucks for a much better fork and (likely) a much better frame? Yeah why not? "But why did you not quote me that sort of money in the first place? Especially since the first quote on the SL4 was about $980?" Shrug shoulders, extracts from credit card and moves me out the door....

Gotta say though....this thing just fits!!!

So far I've binned the Wellgo flat pedals for clippies and swapped the rear wheel for a spare Giant PXC-2 wheel with the DT350 hub (saved 200 grams right there). There's a front wheel as wheel but I have to get an adaptor sleeve made up to convert 15QR back to a 9mm first...

Last edited:

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is that a Jones fork on the sheep? how does it ride/ Has it been a while since you ran it rigid?
Tell me does Shannon have anything to do with Slingshot bikes anymore - he is still a distributor on their site?
I have been of the rigid for about 12 months.
The fork is a Koiled.
I think that Shannon has a Slingshot hanging in his garage at the moment that he is looking for an owner for.
Not sure what size it is though.

Will find out for you.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I have been of the rigid for about 12 months.
The fork is a Koiled.
I think that Shannon has a Slingshot hanging in his garage at the moment that he is looking for an owner for.
Not sure what size it is though.

Will find out for you.
Hi mate,
I just swapped my road bike for a slingshot. Never really got the whole road bike thing - I am too inclined to jump gutters and pedestrians. Just interested if he had parts and stuff if required in the future. Quite the experiment but it is just for ss commuting.
The koiled fork looks great - look forward to seeing their frames.
Cheers
JD

Last edited:

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Upgrades!!!

Got me some HBC bling at last. Awesomely machined. No tight spots at all.

Off to ride the shit out of it now.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Hi StevoB

Homebrew looks the goods mate. How are the trails we were speaking about? Is Mitch using / enjoying those BSMMbars? Would love to come riding out your way soon.
Cheers
John

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks fellas. I'm a little unsure of the colour, but keep in mind that I ordered them before I got the red frame.

Hi StevoB

Homebrew looks the goods mate. How are the trails we were speaking about? Is Mitch using / enjoying those BSMMbars? Would love to come riding out your way soon.
Cheers
John
Mitch has just switched to some Salsa 660mm bars. The MM bars are just too wide to hold a decent pace up at those trails. He loved the comfort and control, but not the tree hits. He's freakishly fast with the narrower bars. Bastard. Methinks I need a faster bike to keep up with him now.

Please let me know when you're available for a ride John. The trails are freakin' awesome. Lots of maintenance was done in Jan/Feb. FYI, I'll be riding there today (mid morning) and tomorrow, if it suits you. I also have Monday off.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Thanks fellas. I'm a little unsure of the colour, but keep in mind that I ordered them before I got the red frame.

Mitch has just switched to some Salsa 660mm bars. The MM bars are just too wide to hold a decent pace up at those trails. He loved the comfort and control, but not the tree hits. He's freakishly fast with the narrower bars. Bastard. Methinks I need a faster bike to keep up with him now.

Please let me know when you're available for a ride John. The trails are freakin' awesome. Lots of maintenance was done in Jan/Feb. FYI, I'll be riding there today (mid morning) and tomorrow, if it suits you. I also have Monday off.
thankyou Steve. I have kid duties this weekend but hopefully can sort it over Christmas. Please let Mitch know if he wont be using those bars that i will buy them back. Building up a rigid SS and they would be perfect.
Have a good weekend
John

piker

Likes Dirt
Chi9er part II

Posted this a while ago after I got the frame from Tumbledowns on here...11kg after a few updates etc:

The Phil Wood 'philcentric' bb is the goods so far:

Rides is nice and springy and the carbon Carnegie bar feels great. Not sure on the feel of XTR trail brakes yet?

Have a good weekend!

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thankyou Steve. I have kid duties this weekend but hopefully can sort it over Christmas. Please let Mitch know if he wont be using those bars that i will buy them back. Building up a rigid SS and they would be perfect.
Have a good weekend
John
I'll talk to him tonight, but I'm pretty sure he had them cut down a little, so I'll check to see what he did.

Christmas? Don't you mean Easter?:)

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Posted this a while ago after I got the frame from Tumbledowns on here...11kg after a few updates etc:

The Phil Wood 'philcentric' bb is the goods so far:

Rides is nice and springy and the carbon Carnegie bar feels great. Not sure on the feel of XTR trail brakes yet?

Have a good weekend!
Doesn't look like an 11kg bike. Looks lighter than that.