Post your 29er!

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Transition Bandit29 Large - Pre-loved

13.5kgs.... not for the weenies
Brake cables are still a bit long... waiting on fittings to sort that out

Syntace goodness.... thanks to Eightyonespices components
Need to neaten the dropper cable routing at this end.

KS LEV install is cleeeeeeeeeeeeeean
and yes... it's a weight weenie clamp... but they do work really well and aren't much more than any other clamp

Chris King/Arch EX goodness!

I'm very impressed at how the build came together.
This thing PINS downhill faster than I can handle. Climbs well over steep and tech terrain and faster than I thought it might be.
Not setting any PR's uphill but that's not what this puppy is for.

Frame/Fork Stock.. Large Bandit29 w Fox F34 140RLC Tapered and RP23
Drivetrain is stock SRAM x7... shifts well enough that I won't replace any of it until it breaks (it's a trail bike after all)
Avid 2012 Elixir 9 brakes w 7" rotors... (Jagwire Hy-Flow hose kit on its way)
Chris King Tapered headset
Syntace Mega Force Stem
Syntace Vector Bars
KS LEV 150mm Dropper Post
Carbocage Clamp
Hand Built Stans Arch EX/Chris King/DT SuperComp wheels. QR15F 12x142R

Big JD

Wheel size expert
good to see someone taking this thread seriously again. what a great looking ride mate and the spec doesnt get much better - well done

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice setup mate. I'm building up a set of those wheels at the moment, still undecided on whether to stick with flow, arch ex or light-bicycle wide rims. Nice to see the poxy stickers gone from those rims though. Have you managed to dial in the fork setup? I'm finding on the f34 I need to run a few extra psi than the fox chart and it's still getting full travel.

Does she have a name?

Ackland

chats d'élevage
My housemate calls it "The HULK"

It's green (obviously) and friggin huge!!!

I haven't played with the forks too much but they feel nice... I just set up 30% sag
For the price vs Stans rims... I can't yet put any confidence in those light bicycle rims... no-one has really been on them long enough for a proper test.
Arch EX's are good.. bit wider than the old ARCH (and yes those stickers were horrific)... Was wondering whether the even wider FLOW EX would have been good considering the front is a 2.4"
I would really like to see maxxis make a 29er Ignitor wider than 2.1 (PLEASE MAXXIS... a 2.35 would be the bees)

Hugor

Likes Dirt
My housemate calls it "The HULK"

It's green (obviously) and friggin huge!!!
Well if you can have a green and friggin huge one then I'll pull out my fat black one and we'll let the ladies decide what they want to ride!
Beautiful bike there mate love the outrageous colour scheme!

Not exactly sure if my fat black member qualifies as 29er content but here it is.
I really like the paint. The groupset is pretty basic as I just went for a complete bike, but I'll upgrade when these bits wear out.

IMG_2248.JPG

IMG_2246.JPG

IMG_2243.JPG

IMG_2245.JPG

IMG_2227.jpg

Just returned back to Perth after 2 amazing years in Wales riding first class trails.
I'm slowly coming to the harsh reality that I only have this small number of local dusty trails to play with now.
I thought this might add some interest and flair to my otherwise overly familiar and limited trail network.

Last edited:

allan.taylor64

Likes Dirt
Well if you can have a green and friggin huge one then I'll pull out my fat black one and we'll let the ladies decide what they want to ride!
Beautiful bike there mate love the outrageous colour scheme!

Not exactly sure if my fat black member qualifies as 29er content but here it is.
I really like the paint. The groupset is pretty basic as I just went for a complete bike, but I'll upgrade when these bits wear out.

View attachment 243920

View attachment 243922

View attachment 243921

View attachment 243923

View attachment 243924

Just returned back to Perth after 2 amazing years in Wales riding first class trails.
I'm slowly coming to the harsh reality that I only have this small number of local dusty trails to play with now.
I thought this might add some interest and flair to my otherwise overly familiar and limited trail network.
You need a fat rotor aswell, otherwise they look out of place ;)

ozdavo

Likes Dirt

My Cheap Frankinstein 29er

Completed this build during the week and took it out to Daisy Hill today. Ive never had a steel bike & didn't know how it was going to ride, but I am really happy at how it felt. Climbed well, felt nimble descending. Brakes need a bleed, but they stopped me.

The frame started life as rigid single speed, KHS Solo One, circa 2008.
Sliding dropouts for SS duty, but also with cable guides etc for a geared setup.

Most parts came from an 09 Avanti Scratch 2.0 that I picked up second hand, (but the frame was too large for me) with a few others from here.

Hugor

Likes Dirt
You need a fat rotor aswell, otherwise they look out of place ;)
I realize you were probably taking the piss but there's a lot of truth in what you said. The big and heavy wheels combined with a big and heavy rider require a lot of braking power.
These little rotors feel pretty weak and it's going to have to be my first upgrade.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Here is my 29er from 2007 called Silver. We are no longer together and I miss her very much. I would be lying if i said - I hope you are happy wherever you are.
I can confirm your former love interest is alive and well, although only the frame is the same and it has undergone a sex change (an XL 29er is not what I would call particularly feminine). Just to annoy you more, it has a name: Buzz, cus it's American and the rear hub is superbly loud. Actually this is nice segway for a photo...

IMAG0248.jpg

Apologies for the rubbish photo quality.

Attachments

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I really like how you have photographed your giant, propped up against a rock, a windmill with the rolling valley in the background and wind blowing through the cables - romantic.

Just stirring - beautiful surrounds - where is it? Let us guess - Victoria near Diggers Rest

Last edited:

Hugor

Likes Dirt
I love taking pics of my bikes in beautiful surrounds like that. Well done. I think the bike looks better without the saddle bollocks personally but they are very practical things.

mrbailey

Likes Bikes
On One Scandal

Here's my On One Scandal. It's a cheap frame but rides above its pay grade. They're still on sale on the On One website.

I love silver bikes. Can't beat 'em!

This bike will be a "jack of all trades" - general riding, occasional racing and also some touring.

SLX bits
Thomson bits
Reba RLT fork
Stans Arch rims
Hope Pro II hubs
Specialized Captain and Fast track tyres
Crappy old Specilized saddle that will be replaced by a Fizik Gobi

DSC_0240.jpg
DSC_0244.jpg

[OutCast]

Likes Bikes
IMG_0381 (1 of 1).jpg

Giant Anthem 29 X 0
Charge Spoon Ti Seat
Thompson Post and clamp
Ergon Grips
Easton XC70 Bar
'Nancy' China Rims, King ISO Hubs, Sapim double butted spokes
Duke Tubeless Valves (cause they're black)

I'll find out what she weights next time I'm near scales... guessing ~11kgs/24 pounds.

Wants ...
Thompson 1.25" Stem if they ever make them.
and if the do I'll switch to Thompson bars so the contact points match.

Last edited: