Post your 29er!

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Any more pics of the Titus?
No recent ones, (I only got that for insurance purposes) I might try this w/e if I get a chance.

Also how do you find it out on the trails?
I've owned two Racer X's (Alloy, and my current Ti) and love them to bits.
In the wild I think it's awesome, but I have nothing to compare it to not having ridden any other 29 duallies. It feels like a big bike though, I'm between sizes and I went the larger option and Titus's seem to size up large anyway, but saying that I love the way it feels, holds its line and tracks/climbs great. The rear is a FSR licensed set-up so if you've ridden a Specialized I imagine it would be pretty similar. I have a 150mm 26 bike as well which is completely different so the same trails never get boring, but the Titus still gets a good work out. It feels like I'm slower on it but lap times are almost identical between the two, but that's probably an argument for another thread.

The new carbon ones look pretty good now as well, especially when considering the cost.

EXSSVE

Likes Dirt
Upgraded the Scott. (already)

Can't wait to put some k's on it tomorrow.
(S'cuse the image size, still learning forum etiquette)

IMG_20130504_163247.jpg20130504_163551.jpg20130504_163641.jpg20130504_164146.jpg20130504_164114.jpg

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Just to prove this craze has gone too far...

I decided I needed a new rig to go riding with my young one and encourage him to use and abuse his balance bike. Simple requirement that it had to be a balance bike like his...and it had to be cheap. It also had to have future potential.

An audit of the shed wall and parts bin suggested I had most everything I needed except the frame. A drop in to the LBS turned up a Giant Cypress 700C hybrid frameset from the early noughties. A rummage around found us some headset parts and a stem to put in them. Then I was out the door $30 poorer.

Back in the shed I had a spare front wheel off the road bike, a spare rear wheel from the Cannondale hardtail, old seat post from the Anthem and a spare seat from the parts bin...and we were away. A quick test suggested it was a ball buster to get moving with the feet because of the geometry so I whacked the virtually dead SRAM BB and redundant drive side crank from the C'dale in there. That way I could stand on the pedal and push with the other leg and not nut myself. The 2.1 Michelin tyres came off another 2nd hand wheelset I got not long ago...the only thing I bought new specifically were the grips - $3 from K-Mart. The bars have bells next to both grips so a racket can be made whilst scooting down the driveway.

It's a bit of a hoot (except when nearly bowling over the Boss) and the little bloke thinks it's grand to go for a ride...he's learning fast too.

Once he's pedalling on a proper bike I'll whack the wheels off the CX bike under it, keep the tyres, add brakes, convert to modern steerer, fit monster cross bars and single speed the daylights out of it. N+1 indeed.

Balanced29er.jpg

Last edited:

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
noice build - amazing what you can do with some left over parts ... o:rockon:.

did you consider a rigid fork? good trail feedback and fun bouncing front off rocks for some extra momentum through corners.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
noice build - amazing what you can do with some left over parts ... o:rockon:.

did you consider a rigid fork? good trail feedback and fun bouncing front off rocks for some extra momentum through corners.
yeah just had some stuff lying around under the house - enve wheelset, FRM crankset and fox forks

Thanks MTB & JD. Believe it or not, it is a "bitsa". The wheels are second hand / demo, the crankset and fork are used as well. Only the frame was new.

I'm too wussy to ride with a rigid fork. Hell I just want a SS so I'm allowed to play w' the cool kids! :)

Damn, I hate how Specialized is so hi-end run of the mill....no character, like an expensive Kmart bike really, sorry ,......
Odd statement, whatevs.:peace:

Last edited:

Gripo

Eats Squid
Pretty stoked on this bike, even though it's a hardtail.....looking to cover many miles with some long distance back road rides.

It will share two different wheelsets, those pictured and a set with cyclocross tyres.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370334491.012101.jpg

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pretty stoked on this bike, even though it's a hardtail.....looking to cover many miles with some long distance back road rides.

It will share two different wheelsets, those pictured and a set with cyclocross tyres.
Black on Black is eye candy. Noice!!!