Post your all mountain bike

Yarrahappinni

Likes Dirt
1x11?

What's the opinion, for normal riding would you spend the money for a SRAM 1x11 or is a 1x10 (NW front ring) enough for normal riding?

(Disclaimer, I run a 1x10 with a Wolftooth 32t front ring, very happy with it)

dj jedijunglesnow

Likes Dirt
Vengeance

Only had one ride on them, but already very impressed. A lot of room left for adjustments (air pressure, high/low speed compression) but one ride straight out of the box and they feel great. Reviews say get better once seals bed in so can't wait.

The machining on these is top notch, caps over air valve, rebound knob, work of art. Compression adjusters are protected by one big screw off prism. No plastic in sight.

Stanchions are big and fat.

Jordan at Workshop in Balgowlah initially said I should just stick to R/shox or Fox, but when he saw these in the flesh was so impressed he said he's going to recommend to customers and get a pair for himself.

Last edited:

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
Went from 2x9 to xx1 ... Best thing ever
Wouldn't have gone that far...

But it is good.

Personally general XC and recreational mucking about. I would stick with shimano dynasys 3x10. I have it on my Lappierre spicy. It works, it's smooth and when some smart arse fit as hell mate drags you on some long winded ride you aren't ready for... And then just for fun throws a bloody steep as hell climb at the end.

Granny gear is then appreciated!

It just does more, for people with less Kw in their legs, ie my wife, novices, and generally normal people. It's just more appropriate for them.

For mad keen enthusiasts who can cope with higher loads and are a bit fitter then 2x10 or 1x11 is a decent option.

my02

Likes Dirt
Hey Mate,

Theyre 2.35 but they measure wider (just) than the 2.5 minions on my DH bike! the crossmax sx are not crazy wide rims at 21mm internal width so i reckon thats about standard. Ive measured them with a ruler which isnt amazingly accurate and they are 2.5". Im pretty sure you can get smaller sizes though.
Great. Thanks for that. I think they will be on the list for when the Ardent F wears out. I'm running a 2.25 Crossmark out back and miss having a little more volume but as mentioned, clearance is close and being a big chap, hard cornering causes good wheel flex which translates into rubbing.

Cheers.

dj jedijunglesnow

Likes Dirt
Update

Only had one ride on them, but already very impressed. A lot of room left for adjustments (air pressure, high/low speed compression) but one ride straight out of the box and they feel great. Reviews say get better once seals bed in so can't wait.

The machining on these is top notch, caps over air valve, rebound knob, work of art. Compression adjusters are protected by one big screw off prism. No plastic in sight.

Stanchions are big and fat.

Jordan at Workshop in Balgowlah initially said I should just stick to R/shox or Fox, but when he saw these in the flesh was so impressed he said he's going to recommend to customers and get a pair for himself.
Took them on proper ride today; ups, downs everything in between.

My gosh, I had no idea how bad my previous forks were till I got these. BoXXer precision in a trail fork, amazing. So solid, couple of lines usually taken with extra caution were not even balked at. Point them down, go fast and they come alive. And then a Strava PM on twisty single track climb!

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What's the opinion, for normal riding would you spend the money for a SRAM 1x11 or is a 1x10 (NW front ring) enough for normal riding?

(Disclaimer, I run a 1x10 with a Wolftooth 32t front ring, very happy with it)
I run 1x10, love it. (With a NW ring)

my02

Likes Dirt
Took them on proper ride today; ups, downs everything in between.

My gosh, I had no idea how bad my previous forks were till I got these. BoXXer precision in a trail fork, amazing. So solid, couple of lines usually taken with extra caution were not even balked at. Point them down, go fast and they come alive. And then a Strava PM on twisty single track climb!
Which track?

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
My Marin Attack Trail
Prob not a lot of fans but has served me well for the last couple of years.
A few upgrades reverb post, x7 crank, elixir 9 carbon brakes, wider bars ect.
Killer bike mate, regardless of how few people know/have ridden them. I've ridden a mount vision from the same era and a whyte 146 which is also very similar; a little flexy but incredibly capable and buckets of fun to ride. Enjoy smashing a few trails on yours! :)

onwheels

Likes Bikes
My Marin Attack Trail
Prob not a lot of fans but has served me well for the last couple of years.
A few upgrades reverb post, x7 crank, elixir 9 carbon brakes, wider bars ect.
I'm a fan, but I'm a bit biased. Great looking bike you've got there. Awesome fun to ride. Is that a RS Monarch on the back?

Matty_moo85

Likes Bikes
Cheers for the comments guys I am pretty pleased with its performance and durability I would love one of the new models though!
Its just the standard 3.3 on the rear. I'm not sure one of the newer bigger volume shocks would fit.

onwheels

Likes Bikes
Cheers for the comments guys I am pretty pleased with its performance and durability I would love one of the new models though!
Its just the standard 3.3 on the rear. I'm not sure one of the newer bigger volume shocks would fit.
I have the RP23 on the back and from what I've read you can swap to a larger air can.

Was going to wait till I made some stickers up, but you got me all excited with your Marin. Heres mine;

Color definately looks better in person.

'09 Marin Wolf Ridge
Marzocchi All Mountain SL1
Fox RP23
SLX Brakes (203mm rotors. will be gone soon)
Easton Haven wheels
Hans Dampfs F&R
Blackspire Dewlie
SLX/XT Drivetrain
20mm front/12mm Maxle rear

butcher.jpg
2012 santa cruz butcher RP23
2011 marzo 55 RC3Ti
stans flow on hope pro II's
XTR shifters and rear mech XT everything else, soon to be zee 4pots
reverb, gravity 45mm stem and abd sniper bars 760mm

abaser666

Likes Bikes
Coming soon, monster AM bike...

Ive got a Glory 8 sitting in the shed I've been thinking of selling. But i'm a shocking hoarder, and cant bring myself to part with it, so I'm going to make one aggressive mofo AM bike of it...its going to be ugly, kids.:flypig:

I'm aiming to get it down to about 17kg...but even that could be a stretch! its starting at 20.2kg. I'll easily get 1.5kg from the 2.7tyres and maxi thick tubes when I go tubeless, then there's the chain guide (just leave the taco to keep the chain in check)...ditch the I-beam seat for a lighter setup...that's bout it really. Probably could save a fair bit if I converted to an air-shock, and ditch the 40mm forks, but that'd be beside the point. I want to see the look on the face of the first guy I pass up a hill.:crazy:

Stay tuned for pics, i'll post when the parts arrive.

Just for the record I have a 'proper' AM bike - 09 Spec enduro.

Roley

Likes Bikes

Avanti Torrent 3
FOX 32 FLOAT FIT RLC
FOX RP23
FD SRAM X9
RD SRAM X0
SHIFTERS SRAM X9
CRANKSET SRAM X9 GXP
BRAKES AVID ELIXIR 9
EASTON HAVEN UST TUBELESS WHEELSET
HANDLEBAR EASTON HAVEN
STEM EASTON HAVEN ALLOY 31.8MM
EASTON HAVEN 30.9MM

scblack

Leucocholic
ditch the I-beam seat for a lighter setup...that's bout it really.
I-beam seats are heavy do you reckon?

I have one on my bike too (SDG seat and post), so I may weigh it and see if I can lose some weight that way. I'm sure a Thomson Masterpiece seatpost and a light seat should see some good weight loss.

I have a solid carbon seat on my roadie - do I dare put my spare roadie carbon seat on my MTB????? I would wear some padded knicks under my shorts, but is that too nuts? Save a shitload of weight......