Post your all mountain bike

Snapcatcher

Likes Bikes
Hey Snapcatcher,

I'm in a similar position to you (looking to buy my "first serious MTB" for ~ $2k). How are you finding the Fluid? In particular, how's the rear suspension working out for you? I'm kinda deciding between a super-basic dually like this or a better specced plus trail hard tail like the Norco Torrent 7.2.
This bike has taken my riding to another level, and basically changed the way I approach features, and pick line choices, just knowing that the rear sus will soak all the hits. I'm happy with my choice, and feel that for my current skill level I don't need high end components. Cant see me ever going back to a hard tail. Was also looking at a Trek Fuel ex5 for similar money but went with the Norco cause the shop is 5 mins away as opposed to the Trek dealer who was an hour away. Hunt around and there are some good deals on 2016 bikes.

NeoNasty

Likes Dirt
This bike has taken my riding to another level, and basically changed the way I approach features, and pick line choices, just knowing that the rear sus will soak all the hits. I'm happy with my choice, and feel that for my current skill level I don't need high end components. Cant see me ever going back to a hard tail. Was also looking at a Trek Fuel ex5 for similar money but went with the Norco cause the shop is 5 mins away as opposed to the Trek dealer who was an hour away. Hunt around and there are some good deals on 2016 bikes.
Never say never.

I've got a 160mm Specalized Enduro 29 that lets me plow over anything at a huge rate of speed, but lately I've been hitting up the hardtail. I found it was too easy otherwise and I've really increased my skills.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Hey Snapcatcher,

I'm in a similar position to you (looking to buy my "first serious MTB" for ~ $2k). How are you finding the Fluid? In particular, how's the rear suspension working out for you? I'm kinda deciding between a super-basic dually like this or a better specced plus trail hard tail like the Norco Torrent 7.2.
Duallies are fun but hell they do blunten normal trails. I have just gotten a trance after not having a duallie for 12 years. My normal trails are a bit boring but rougher stuff it comes into its own. Long rides are less punishing too which is nice. My wife has just swapped to a 120mm dualie and swears she will never go back to hardtail she loves how smooth it is on longer rides.

Maybe a mixed message above but a dualie will likely serve you well. I love hardtails (had a torrent built as a dirtjumper/ dh bike in 2001) but they take a bit more confidence to really ride hard. I am eyeing off dj hardtail frames currently for a second build..... can't help myself already miss my hardtail on shorter rides.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Never say never.

I've got a 160mm Specalized Enduro 29 that lets me plow over anything at a huge rate of speed, but lately I've been hitting up the hardtail. I found it was too easy otherwise and I've really increased my skills.
Same here. Moving back to a hardtail was a wake up call for how many bad habits had been creeping into my riding style. A hardtail is a great remedy for it and skills learnt can be transferred back to the squishmobile to make you even faster imo.

EDIT: this thread needs more pictures of things in it.

20160825_162436.jpg

Last edited:

metroid

Likes Bikes
My Whyte T130S Work

DSC_0630.jpg

Shortly after assembling the bike back in June 2016. Specced with Sram 1 x 11 and Pike with RT3 Debonair shock.

DSC_0878.jpg

Bike set up now. Fork changed to X Fusion 160mm Sweep Roughcut (originally RL2). I much prefer X Fusion to Pike. This fork is so plush. Changed the dropper to Gravity. Rockshox Stealth is a piece of crap that keeps breaking down (at least mine is).

effarr

Likes Dirt
The Rune is still going strong, and riding particularly sweet after a wheel/fork upgrade, and overhaul of suspension tune (including volume spacers in both). :rockon:

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
Curiosity got the better of me and I tried to squeeze the plus tyres from hardtail on to the Altitude but alas they are a bit to tight to use. To be honest I'm quite happy with current tyre choice and not that overly impressed with the plus tyres I've got. It's running 27.5x2.8 nobby nic on the front and 26x2.8 Ranger on the back. Unfortunately I've had durability issues with both tyres on my hardtail and the 26x2.8 Ranger lasted about 2hrs before it got ripped to bits and sprayed sealant over my legs.
It's does look quite cool with the plus tyres but not usable

Attachments

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
The Rune is still going strong, and riding particularly sweet after a wheel/fork upgrade, and overhaul of suspension tune (including volume spacers in both). :rockon:

Everything black with yellow decals, you obviously don't need me to say it, but it looks really nice.

effarr

Likes Dirt
That's is a nice build.

Everything black with yellow decals, you obviously don't need me to say it, but it looks really nice.
Thanks mate. She has evolved a bit over the past few years (from the original yellow frame), but riding better than ever. Love it (although the new Capras are very tempting :p) !

Leon

Hilst

Cannon Fodder
Yeti SB95C

2014 Yeti SB95C
140mm Pike
Fox Float CTD (Vorsprung Corset on the way)
SRAM X0 drive chain
Shimano XT brakes
SRAM Roam 50 hoops
Reverb dropper

IMG_0507.JPG

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Look nice. Was considering a '17 banshee of sorts for a while.

26 4 lyf...until you have to spring for new drivetrain & a wheelset.

I was misreading your numberplate as being 'Afghanistan' and thought looks pretty lush, considering.