Post your all mountain/ light freeride bike

ja_har

Likes Dirt
How do you guys find the 2-ring with chain guide set up? Does the chain stay on? ever find yourself wanting the 'big dawg'?

I think that's one of the most interesting questions when building an all-mountain bike: do you run a triple? double? or single? Anyone else want to comment on their set up?

Some nice bikes so far!
Personally 2 ring DRS is my favorite (never dropped a chain yet) but you pay a weight penalty for security and I'd rather the security. Havent missed the big dawg at all after not using it at all for 2 years on a triple but constantly dropping chains on the downs... Running a 36-26 to get the best coverage of ratios.
However can only push the biggest 36 - 12 on a road anyway. I think thats more a weight - beefy tyre issue though (16kg with 2.35 dual plys).

I'll reassess once I get the bike below 14kg and faster tyres if I need a 38.

Some of the newer lighter dual ring guides might be worth a look

Last edited:

horsey

Likes Dirt
Corsair Marque with marz 55 ata's, hammerschmidt, formula 'the one' brakes, crank bros wheels, onza tires and sunline bars/stem.

Attachments

iconic

Likes Dirt
Corsair Marque with marz 55 ata's, hammerschmidt, formula 'the one' brakes, crank bros wheels, onza tires and sunline bars/stem.
That is sex. How is the little pulley and the wheels? Ive read on mtbr that there are some niggling issues?

BT180

Max Pfaff
How do you guys find the 2-ring with chain guide set up? Does the chain stay on? ever find yourself wanting the 'big dawg'?

I think that's one of the most interesting questions when building an all-mountain bike: do you run a triple? double? or single? Anyone else want to comment on their set up?

Some nice bikes so far!
I had a triple when I first bought mine, then ditched the big ring and fitted a DRS. I ride Red Hill quite often so it was warranted there. I never really used the big ring either so I didn't miss it.

Since I've now been racing, I've ditched the DRS and put my big ring back on. I've learnt to be more efficient in the big ring and find myself using it a lot. Being fitter helps too. I removed a link out of the chain and never drop it.

Here's mine. '04 Heckler...It's recently been fitted with a DHX 5 coil, but I don't any pics yet -

Last edited:

morgs

morgs
12.84kg of Santa Cruz Heckler heaven.
Nice. My black Nomad, Totem solo air, shock is now a DHX5 coil, MRP XCG, Joplin post. I rate the Joplin, 100mm is more than enough drop, most of the time I only put it down a tiny bit. I'm a short arse. The side to side play is annoying at first, but I don't notice it now.
The coil has made a huge difference, although the new RP23 with boost valve could be worth trying.

The orange one is my fiance's, pretty much bog standard AM R build except for the MRP guard. It's now got Talas 36's on it, which have been a revelation for her.

Attachments

Sumo

Likes Dirt

Some nice bikes so far!
I'm running a 24/36 set-up. I don't miss the big ring at all, unless it's on the road getting to the trails. Chain guide holds everything in place no worries.

brutasauras

Likes Dirt

I run a 36/24 never lost a chain and the 36 gets me down single track faster than i can handle.:D

horsey

Likes Dirt
mmmm joplins are the greatest! and once you've used one it's hard to use anything else
joplins are the worst adjustable seatpost on the market! i have one, i use it all the time, but wish i had done more research before i bought...

- 3" is not enough, many brands have 4-5" adjustment
- in reality you only get about 2.5" adjustment
- the cable position is very poor
- i am constantly doing maintenance on it to keep it working properly

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
am rigs

I love this thread... just found it!!
My AM thread... I use it all the time (cannot justify a DH rig)

I still am going to do a few thing to it!

Attachments

Sumo

Likes Dirt
Nice. My black Nomad, Totem solo air, shock is now a DHX5 coil, MRP XCG, Joplin post. I rate the Joplin, 100mm is more than enough drop, most of the time I only put it down a tiny bit. I'm a short arse. The side to side play is annoying at first, but I don't notice it now.
The coil has made a huge difference, although the new RP23 with boost valve could be worth trying.

The orange one is my fiance's, pretty much bog standard AM R build except for the MRP guard. It's now got Talas 36's on it, which have been a revelation for her.
There's only one thing better than a Santa Cruz, and that's two.