Post your All MTN/Funduro hardtail

slowmick

38-39"
eccentric frame arrived at work today. looks awesome. little bit disappointed at the shiny mark on the underside of the down tube where the packaging was rubbing. anyone else have this? Guess it's a bike and it will windup with more chips and dents after the first ride. Looking forward to seeing if my weird ass 142+ roval fits down back. perfect start to the long weekend. :whoo:

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
eccentric frame arrived at work today. looks awesome. little bit disappointed at the shiny mark on the underside of the down tube where the packaging was rubbing. anyone else have this? Guess it's a bike and it will windup with more chips and dents after the first ride. Looking forward to seeing if my weird ass 142+ roval fits down back. perfect start to the long weekend. :whoo:
Yup, mine has shiny rub marks too... I'm ordering a 150mm pike next week and getting pretty excited to see the new bike take shape;)

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
Nearly together, turned out my parts bin shifter was a different i-spec to my new brake levers. No big deal I'll go grab a shifter tomorrow. It's a bit of a bitsa and the size was a bit of a gamble but it's come together ok. M785 brakes, Zee derailleur, leftover S1000 gxp crankset, Blunt 35s on Novatec 4 in 1 with 2.4 Trail Kings, Renthal finishing stuff. Reckon I'll grab a KS LEV or a Reverb once I work out what seat height I want to run, ditto probably swap the cranks for some Zee or XT down the track. 26 ain't dead!

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Supposed frame builder, won't mention any names coz the person said they'd sort it out but I'm not in to cutting and shutting so I chopped it up.
Yeah I paid money for it, quite a bit actually.

This was close to or the final build geo, can't remember exactly, would have been a fun steed.

there is a little place,just north of here called Taiwan..i have it on good authority, that there may be someone there that could make this for you!
Pity...looks the goods, i would buy one:eyebrows:

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nearly together, turned out my parts bin shifter was a different i-spec to my new brake levers. No big deal I'll go grab a shifter tomorrow. It's a bit of a bitsa and the size was a bit of a gamble but it's come together ok. M785 brakes, Zee derailleur, leftover S1000 gxp crankset, Blunt 35s on Novatec 4 in 1 with 2.4 Trail Kings, Renthal finishing stuff. Reckon I'll grab a KS LEV or a Reverb once I work out what seat height I want to run, ditto probably swap the cranks for some Zee or XT down the track. 26 ain't dead!

Looks slick in orange!

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
I'd keep the cheap cranks on the Cotic, I find the extra flex is pretty handy to have. I had some Profile Elite cranks on my 2Souls and they were just too stiff, I swapped out to some more flexy Zee cranks and my feet seemed to stay on the pedals a bit better, was also kinder on the body.

Is the Trail King 2 really slow as a back tyre? I had a Black Chili one on the front and it was good(does need a wide rim though) but I thought the lugs were spaced too far apart for a rear to last any length of time or to roll decently.

fatboyonabike, I like to try to keep my money local if I can but with all the fun new frames coming out now I don't think I'll need to go custom, but yeah it will be made in Taiwan which is fine, most of my frames have been.

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
Cheer Miguel75 - at least i know i am not special. what head set are you going to run?

Please remember I'm a complete noob: I was thinking a Cane Creek 40 series though I am by no means married to the idea of this particular headset and am pretty open to suggestions. What are you planning to run with? I'm pretty set on the m8000 1x11 setup, and the dual position Pike, though everything else I'm pretty fluid with. Mainly because I have little to no idea;)

I'm liking the Hope tech Enduro wheel set; a groovy coloured Spank stem, answer handlebar (maybe renthals) and whatever else looks cool. I'm planning on a dropper too but no decisions made there yet...

floody

Wheel size expert
Spooz, I'm yet to ride it outside my yard. Should have a shifter on it tomorrow so I'll report back about the tyres on the weekend. I really do want some nicer (read: not GXP) cranks though, but I had these, they were 104 bolt circle and it's really only a preference thing.

tomli123001

Likes Dirt
Hi guys. Posted this one up on post your ride a couple of months ago. Since then a couple of minor changes and a bit of gear swapping between bikes but nothing major. Just thought I'd add it to the mix

Great bike to ride. Really enjoying the slack front end. So stable on the descents and at speed. Been out to the you yangs a couple of times - otherwise just the local tracks out west of town - don't think it gives up much to the dually (Avanti Torrent) at all

Frame - 14 inch Ragley Blue Pig X
Fork - Rockshox Revelation RL
Handlebars - Easton Haven
Stem - Ragley stubbing 50 mm
Seatpost - KS supernatural lever. Swap it between bikes as needed
Front/rear brake/cranks/shifter - SLX
Rear derailleur - Zee
Chainring - E13 guidering
Chainguide - E13 LS1
Pedals - Nukeproof proton
Wheels - Easton haven
Tyres - Hans dampf 2.35 front/WTB mutano 2.4 rear (both tubeless)

View attachment 254131

And with some DMR motos on another set of wheels just for tootling around capital city/yarra trail on a nice day

View attachment 254132

That's just standard Blue Pig, not X. Pig X has replaceable drop out. Because I have both standard and X at my shed.

tomli123001

Likes Dirt
Ragley Blue Pig and Blue Pig X

I have the luxury to own 2 Ragley pigs at the same time.
One is standard Blue pig and one is Blue Pig X. Both are MKII. Blue Pig X has a replacable hanger, while the standard pig has an integrated hanger.

I am sadly are selling them now. Because my Nomad has arrived.

IMG_2562.JPG
IMG_1567-Optimized.JPG
IMG_1815-Optimized.JPG
IMG_2383-Optimized.JPG
IMG_1579-Optimized.JPG
IMG_1581-Optimized.JPG
IMG_2440-Optimized.JPG

Last edited:

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
New Ragley frames are out next month and from the sneaky pics on FB they don't look like they will be offensive to the eye.

Current steed, don't really have a proper photo, I'd be lying if I said I was sober when I took this, full manual hipster cameras are tricky :)

Fork was stripped and polished then I put down a couple of layers of black pearl loaded clear then a wine red over the top, in the shade it looks almost black. I put too much red in the last coat so the polished fork doesn't really show which is a bit of a bummer but hey, shit goes wrong when you have no idea what you are doing.

Fork is also custom butchered, stock X-fusion neg spring is too soft for fatties so I put a massively extended one in plus loaded the air spring with oil so it's super rampy. It's has just over 5" of travel but sags to a bit under 4", a 650b front wheel and an external lower cup keep the HA as the factory intended(still too steep).

Last edited:

tomli123001

Likes Dirt
Would one be spare? :kiss:
yeh. one is set up more AM and light free ride. With 31mm rims and burley Lyrik 35mm coil. 2.4 tyres. 50mm stem.
The other is more XC/trail light build. XT wheelset and Float 140mm, with 1 inch larger frame also. 70mm stem and skinny 2.2 tyre

I am so surprised that two similar frames felt so different on trails.

slowmick

38-39"
Please remember I'm a complete noob: I was thinking a Cane Creek 40 series though I am by no means married to the idea of this particular headset and am pretty open to suggestions. What are you planning to run with? I'm pretty set on the m8000 1x11 setup, and the dual position Pike, though everything else I'm pretty fluid with. Mainly because I have little to no idea;)

I'm liking the Hope tech Enduro wheel set; a groovy coloured Spank stem, answer handlebar (maybe renthals) and whatever else looks cool. I'm planning on a dropper too but no decisions made there yet...
G'day Miguel75 - The Cane Creek sounds like solid choice for the headsets. i figured i'd look on line and see what the prices were. either a cane creek or a hope. had a look in the shed in the weekend and it seems i've had quite a few FSA headsets over the years on different bikes.

sounds like you'll need to make decisions soon or the good weather will be gone before you get her built up. i need to sort through the bits in the garage and see what i need before i order the headset. :madgrin:

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
G'day Miguel75 - The Cane Creek sounds like solid choice for the headsets. i figured i'd look on line and see what the prices were. either a cane creek or a hope. had a look in the shed in the weekend and it seems i've had quite a few FSA headsets over the years on different bikes.

sounds like you'll need to make decisions soon or the good weather will be gone before you get her built up. i need to sort through the bits in the garage and see what i need before i order the headset. :madgrin:
I would love to drop the coin on it right now and build it up in the next month or two as I spend time at Bright over christmas and want to play up there. As it stands, this build will likely take me ~6-8 months to get it all sorted. I'm not sure of my wife's motives though the other week she asked me if I'd like to buy everything I needed, up to $2500, and then just build it up... I stared at her quietly as I slowly took a sip of my drink. I wasn't sure what game was afoot though I knew it probably wouldn't end well for me so I slowly, calmly and almost nonchalantly replied, "It's ok love, I'm excited to build this up over the next year....!" For the next few minutes neither of us spoke. I sat silently under her gaze and struggled to breathe, sweat trickling down my back. After what seemed like an hour she said, "Ok, if that's what you want." and walked away...

I'm still not sure what happened but I do know I'll be buying the Pike and headset in a few weeks... Bikes are less complicated then wives.

floody

Wheel size expert
The Cotic looks like bags of fun on that wheelset and fork
Sure is!

I hadn't been off-road on a modern bike this year until today, so I was a bit of a fat pinball for the first few kms of singletrack but once my body remembered it was sweet.

Lot of fun to ride, not that much rougher than my last couple of mid travel duallies and it's amazing what trouble you can get out of with the manuals on tap. Maybe a tiny bit on the short side in the TT for me when climbing but no worse than my old Torrent with a 50mm stem on. Really surprising how forgiving it is of hamfisted launches, sideways landings etc.

I need a narrow-wide chainring and/or a clamp on top guide though. Lost the chain a few times where I stopped, clicked it up a few and took off under light power into some rough stuff, no biggie though. With the zee clutch mech it actually didn't make any audible slap with the chain off! Partly a chainline issue because I ran a BB spacer to simulate where it would be with a BB mount guide.

Spooz - Honestly the Contis weren't terrible in terms of rolling at all, no worse than say a Hans Dampf or a minion. Actually I think they were better than my Hans Dampfs. Today was mostly loose over hard surface stuff which would be their least ideal environment and I thought they were fine, I don't remember them feeling a drag at all. Think I'm running too much pressure in the front though it's not really compliant enough.
Amazing how good the rear was at conforming to rocks and roots and stuff climbing, really did float.

I think I've got room for a Dirt Wizard though...

Last edited: