Post your NOTshore Pics (dodgy Northshore)

Air time erik

Likes Bikes and Dirt
but he does have a point there are people out there that just rubbish trails whether they have notshore, northshore or "Aussieshore" or just rough rocky sections or a difficult track altogether and they cant ride it so they call it vandalism or damaging to the enviroment, lets just have paved walk ways thrue the bush keep all those fellas happy

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Why is it assumed that some people are rubbishing some of these constructions because they cannot ride them.

I can't do a heap of things and I don't call for every trail that I can't do to be torn down. And I certainly don't like the idea of paved highways through the bush.

So lets get this clear. The reason that some people like myself don't particularly like some of the dodgy northshore out there are

1. Its dangerous. have a close look at the thickness and condition of the timber used for the rungs on the ladder in this pic.
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l174/dcrofty/Notshore4.jpg
I felt unsafe just standing on the thing to take the photo. There is also no tyre marks or mud on the timber which tells me that even the people who made it don't ride it much.
2. Illegal and dodgy constructions give people who don't like MTB and trail building ammunition and make it harder for us to get good trails. That trail is built illegally on public land and I don't imagine it would survive very long if the land managers discovered it.

Don't get me wrong, the guys have put a lot of time and effort into that track and you have to applaud their enthusiasm but sometimes people need to put a bit more thought into some of these constructions.

white_sac

Likes Bikes
Why is it assumed that some people are rubbishing some of these constructions because they cannot ride them.

I can't do a heap of things and I don't call for every trail that I can't do to be torn down. And I certainly don't like the idea of paved highways through the bush.

So lets get this clear. The reason that some people like myself don't particularly like some of the dodgy northshore out there are

1. Its dangerous. have a close look at the thickness and condition of the timber used for the rungs on the ladder in this pic.
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l174/dcrofty/Notshore4.jpg
I felt unsafe just standing on the thing to take the photo. There is also no tyre marks or mud on the timber which tells me that even the people who made it don't ride it much.
2. Illegal and dodgy constructions give people who don't like MTB and trail building ammunition and make it harder for us to get good trails. That trail is built illegally on public land and I don't imagine it would survive very long if the land managers discovered it.

Don't get me wrong, the guys have put a lot of time and effort into that track and you have to applaud their enthusiasm but sometimes people need to put a bit more thought into some of these constructions.

fair enough man i definatly see where you are going. And yeah your right that hasn't been riden for a long time. but that track actually did get water board approval (don't know how, but it did) that is on waterboard land.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Must have taken the "Rumsfeld" approvals option...

That's the easiest way to get waterboard approval :)

Last edited:

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
In the last week or so, Donald Rumsfeld in the US did an interview (which was for a tiny little media outlet and which he I guess he thought no-one would notice) where he expressed something along the lines that holding someone's head underwater in order to find out information would be a "no brainer". Effectively that he was authorising or condoning a form of torture referred to as "water boarding".

Had to be there.

As with many jokes, if it requires that much explanation then the moment is lost. Forget I mentioned it.

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
Permission is a valuable commodity, why would you ruin it by making crap.

I agree its not about who can and can't ride it. Think of it this way, if someone riding it stacks and hurts themselves, will they sue because you constructed a trail negligently. If you can foresee that your shoddy work will cause someone an injury, and cause the whole place to be shut down, then its "not shore". Simple

dcrofty

Eats Squid
fair enough man i definatly see where you are going. And yeah your right that hasn't been riden for a long time. but that track actually did get water board approval (don't know how, but it did) that is on waterboard land.
That's interesting. I'm glad to hear that someone actually took the time to ask permission but I don't know if the person who gave it had the right to. That particular chunk of land is actually unalienated crown land. Sydney Water have an easement through the land where the waterboad pipeline is but they don't actually own or manage it. Its managed by the Department of Lands at Parramatta (and before you ask I work for the local council and have checked the ownership on our property database)

astroboy

CORC Trails team
Winner!

Not one of mine, but rather one of the dodgy pieces of crap we had to pull down at Majura Pines earlier this year as part of the cleanup. The support struts were connected by a single long nail, and the uprights at the launch end were not actually dug into the ground - you could pick up the end and give it a bit of flex to the left and the right.

No apologies from me here - it was an accident just waiting to happen.

Astro
Harsh, but fair.

Attachments

Last edited:

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Oh come on Astro, now you're just being picky!

Just because a few of the planks had busted through and it's held together with 2 nails doesn't make it notshore!

"I heard it was flexy..."

heckler

Cannon Fodder
I thought you guys might be interested in some of the trail building that we've done this summer on the real Shore (capital S).

NSMBA Trail Day tales

You'll note that Shore isn't necessarily all ladder bridges, teeter totters and drops. We build a lot of trail using rocks to armour the trail and protect against erosion.

The biggest advantage we have is an abundance of big cedar trees lying on the ground to cut up into rungs. I really notice that benefit of building here.

teflon

Cannon Fodder
I thought you guys might be interested in some of the trail building that we've done this summer on the real Shore (capital S).

NSMBA Trail Day tales

You'll note that Shore isn't necessarily all ladder bridges, teeter totters and drops. We build a lot of trail using rocks to armour the trail and protect against erosion.

The biggest advantage we have is an abundance of big cedar trees lying on the ground to cut up into rungs. I really notice that benefit of building here.
Yeah trail builders in Aus could learn alot from how the guys manage trails here in Vancouver. Trails on Vancouvers' shore are typically steeper, have high levels of water and traffic so they have to be built properly. No short cuts.

Its a shame there's no cedar in Aus, its the perfect building material - soft wood that cuts clean and resists rot.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Unfortunately the only cedar we have in Aust as far as I'm aware is Western Red Cedar. The dust from cutting it is carcinogenic and the Galahs and Sufur Crested Cockatoos like to eat it as well.