Post your Roadie

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
You lose points for the pox backdrop and not having your valve stems at 6 o'clock. Chain should also be in the big ring.
B-

mitchy_

Llama calmer
HED are doing a wide rim and I read a review saying that a 23c Schwalbe Ultremo measured 27mm across when on the rims. Massive!
My next wheels will be the big footrpint HED's.
do you happen to have this review handy?

i took some measurements of my wheels and tyres as i now had 15mm, 17mm, 19mm and 21mm internal width rims.

25mm gatorskin on 15mm rim = 23.8mm
25mm gatorskin on 17mm rim = 24.9mm
25mm gatorskin on 19mm rim = 25.7mm
25mm gatorskin on 21mm rim = 26.5mm

28mm detonator on 15mm rim = 25.2mm
28mm detonator on 19mm rim = 27.8mm

the 21mm internal width rim is actually ~27.5mm wide, so it's wider than the tyre in that scenario.

i highly doubt they are making a 23mm tyre measure 27mm wide. pulling the beads apart doesn't result in a huge difference, mainly because the beads hook back in to begin with, all you are doing is bringing them out in line with the sidewall.
take this picture for example.

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The washer on your cable anchor is on the wrong way. Needs to be rotated 90 degrees clockwise so the locating tab is pointing upward, parallel to the cable. Buggers the leverage and the cable the way it is now. :nerd:
Worked fine for quite a few thousand kms, but you'll all be happy to know the cable has been replaced, and also has a cap on the end now :thumb:

Sputnick

Likes Bikes and Dirt
BMC SL01 that I've had for about a year now.

Just did a full rebuild with a few upgrades:
Light Bicycle 45mm U shape rims UD Gloss finish with Bitex hubs
Ultremo tyres
Speedplay stainless pedals
Bontrager grippy bar tape
Dura ace chain
New cables all round

Lost 800grams from previous build. Wheels are incredibly stiff and fast rolling, am yet to take them for a proper spin but they feel good so far. Included with the wheels were dura-ace carbon pads and braking seems to be fairly reasonable, will find out once I hit the hills.

I apologize for the shit photo

1797107_10153800940175241_1241719240_n.jpg

mitchy_

Llama calmer

Ultremo tyres
Dura ace chain
New cables all round

Lost 800grams from previous build. Wheels are incredibly stiff and fast rolling, am yet to take them for a proper spin but they feel good so far. Included with the wheels were dura-ace carbon pads and braking seems to be fairly reasonable, will find out once I hit the hills.

View attachment 282826
niiice! i've got some LB 45mm U-shaped clinchers coming as well. should get sent any day now... mine are on novatec disc hubs for my cx/roadie though.

how it stands at the moment (stole the 50mm deep rims off my other bike for a test.
just waiting on my sram red crank and wheels before i can take it for a lap, cannot wait.

wombat

Lives in a hole

Ultremo tyres
Dura ace chain
New cables all round

View attachment 282826
Keen to hear how you find the wheels, I was toying with the idea of trying those for a tubeless setup.

Sputnick

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Keen to hear how you find the wheels, I was toying with the idea of trying those for a tubeless setup.
Was going to have a crack at it, using Bontrager rim strips and Bontrager R3 tubeless tyres. But if it didnt work I would have been stuck with the tyres that are impossible to mount without 40 tyre levers and a hydraulic press....

Should be taking them for a spin tomorrow morning. But so far im very impressed with the finish, stiffness and quality of the rim as well as the Bitex hub.

Z350

Likes Bikes
Here are my two roadies.
Specialized tarmac with full tiagra 10sp groupset and fulcrum racing 7 wheelset.
Orbea team euskaltel with shimano 105 groupset and mavic aksium race wheelset.
I picked up the orbea for $200 of gumtree and after a day of stripping it down and rebuilding it.
It runs absolutely great.
The orbea will now be my winter and trainer bike to save the tarmac the stress.
I actually road a tarmac with 105 and ultegra and I couldn't justify the extra for them.
I can't fault the tiagra.
I commute 8 km to work everyday and then usually do a longer ride on the way home of about 30-40km.
I took a big leap to buy the tarmac and sold both my cars to buy my wife a new car for her.
So now without a car Im forced to ride everyday and im a really loving it.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Sputnick

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had the LB U shape 45mm's for a few weeks now. Very impressed with the rims. Had a few issues with the rear hub though. Small amount of play had developed, very very small, but I could feel it when you wobbled the wheel. Because im a mech this wasnt really a problem, work had ceramic bearings of the same size in stock so they are now in and the play is gone. One of the old bearings seems slightly grindy, other than that I dont actually know why there was play. Wheels have only been up and down beach road, so no proper hills to test the braking, but it seems quite good as far as I can tell!

wombat

Lives in a hole
Have you tried setting them up tubeless? I'm considering a set mainly because I'm curious about just how a wider, tubeless setup could ride.

Sputnick

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you tried setting them up tubeless? I'm considering a set mainly because I'm curious about just how a wider, tubeless setup could ride.
Negative on the tubeless. Maybe in the future, but having enough troubles with tubeless on my mtb to worry about trying to set these up tubeless. Did another 50km this morning, cant get enough of these wheels!

Monks

Likes Dirt
jesus mitchy, if that got any lighter or more aero, you'd need a pilots license. nice work, and the purple anno highlights are a nice change from the 100% stealth black you see everywhere.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Set them up tubeless and tell me if they're any good!
i'm tossing up going tubeless once these gatorskins are dead. still got a few k's left in them though.

jesus mitchy, if that got any lighter or more aero, you'd need a pilots license. nice work, and the purple anno highlights are a nice change from the 100% stealth black you see everywhere.
haha, cheers. if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing!
and yep, glad i added the purple bits, breaks up the blandness of all black. i have some purple titanium bolts for the stem and seat post on the way too.
although i do think it needs a KMC black chain though...

That is a VERY interesting roadie. Single ring, disc brakes. I like it.
it started life as a flat bar commuter, and has evolved into basically a disc CX with 28mm tyres. it does get taken down dirt tracks and the like, so whilst predominately ridden on the road it's not 100% roadie.
i'm not out to break strava records, single ring up front with an 11-28 cassette gives me enough gears to do what i want... for now. :laugh: