Post your Roadie

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Just needs one of those "lock" in saddles. In purple.
i have no idea what that is.

and really too much purple? i was unsure about the purple top cap (i have a carbon cap and purple bolt) but the rest seems nice and subtle.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Lol. Check out the post a couple back from mine.... The purple is cool. Go with it!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
You know I'm normally in on the lastest bling but this one I might leave for someone else..

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

mitchy_

Llama calmer
typically the parts i was waiting for arrived the day after i flew to perth for a few weeks.... finally home and able to ride it, tight wheelbase is fantastic.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very cool mitchy, your bike is one of my favourites. Would like to do a cross bike on a similar recipe with a steel frame sometime soon..

scblack

Leucocholic
typically the parts i was waiting for arrived the day after i flew to perth for a few weeks.... finally home and able to ride it, tight wheelbase is fantastic.
I just realised, you're single ring on the front. What size ring?

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Very cool mitchy, your bike is one of my favourites. Would like to do a cross bike on a similar recipe with a steel frame sometime soon..
cheers! i'd love to build a titanium frame up in a similar style, but that will have to wait a while... a long while.

I just realised, you're single ring on the front. What size ring?
44t with an 11-28 cassette.

i'm by no means a speed racer, i just like overdoing things. ;)

scblack

Leucocholic

Ok, that range would get almost everywhere except the steepest hill, just maybe not as fast some sections.

A interesting compromise.

I like the bike.

Bodin

GMBC

Hmmm, same. You've got me thinking now, because I've got a full Dura-Ace 7900 drivetrain (for no good reason - I suck at road, but I excel at unnecessarily destroying credit limits), but the cassette, chain and probably chainrings are due for a refresh and it's just _so_ much money for a few Dura-Ace bits.

I just use my roadie for occasional long, easy pace training rides and I'm-running-late-so-I'd-better-use-the-roadie-commuting and most 2-ring combos seem to leave me with 2 wrong rings and no right one for the flat roads that are 90% of the roads I ride (39 slightly too small, 53 slightly too big - I never get to ride in the middle of the cassette with a nice, straight chainline).

Is it a narrow-wide ring of some kind that you're using? I have a spare short (medium?) cage XT shadow+ rear mech, so wondering if that might also get involved. I'm thinking a 46t narrow-wide, xt rear mech and 11-28 Ultegra for the flats and 11-32 XT for the rare occasions when I go near hills. Yeah, the drivetrain won't be as pretty to look at any more (or as light), but I might actually like using it more.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Just a little heads-up on you ponderings there Bodin, XT 10-sp. derailleur won't play with the road shifter, for the same reason it won't play with 9-sp. MTB shifters.... Shimano's MTB 10-sp. stuff works on its own leverage ratio that's not compatible with anything else. A 9-sp. MTB rear derailleur however is fine with road shifters (but then you don't get the clutch, which personally I think is unnecessary on road anyway). Also, Dura-Ace has the option of a 42T small ring, which might be a little bit more useable.

Bodin

GMBC
Just a little heads-up on you ponderings there Bodin, XT 10-sp. derailleur won't play with the road shifter, for the same reason it won't play with 9-sp. MTB shifters.... Shimano's MTB 10-sp. stuff works on its own leverage ratio that's not compatible with anything else. A 9-sp. MTB rear derailleur however is fine with road shifters (but then you don't get the clutch, which personally I think is unnecessary on road anyway). Also, Dura-Ace has the option of a 42T small ring, which might be a little bit more useable.
Appreciate the knowledgeable advice. The internets have saved me again. Thanks Duck.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Get a compact crank and go 50-34. I have the same issue as the 53 is just a fraction big in all but perfect conditions. I would like to ride further down the cassette more often.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Hmmm, same. You've got me thinking now, because I've got a full Dura-Ace 7900 drivetrain (for no good reason - I suck at road, but I excel at unnecessarily destroying credit limits), but the cassette, chain and probably chainrings are due for a refresh and it's just _so_ much money for a few Dura-Ace bits.

I just use my roadie for occasional long, easy pace training rides and I'm-running-late-so-I'd-better-use-the-roadie-commuting and most 2-ring combos seem to leave me with 2 wrong rings and no right one for the flat roads that are 90% of the roads I ride (39 slightly too small, 53 slightly too big - I never get to ride in the middle of the cassette with a nice, straight chainline).

Is it a narrow-wide ring of some kind that you're using? I have a spare short (medium?) cage XT shadow+ rear mech, so wondering if that might also get involved. I'm thinking a 46t narrow-wide, xt rear mech and 11-28 Ultegra for the flats and 11-32 XT for the rare occasions when I go near hills. Yeah, the drivetrain won't be as pretty to look at any more (or as light), but I might actually like using it more.
at the moment i'm actually using a 3/32" track chainring. works perfectly with a 10spd chain, and has nice high teeth. my plan was to go to a N-W ring (wolftooth and a few others make up to 44t in N-W for 1x10 CX'ers) however i wanted to confirm the size i wanted without forking out almost $100 for a N-W ring.

with a short cage derailleur and high tooth profile on the ring i've never had an issue over about 1000 km's.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Got a tax return coming in soon and was thinking about a new grouppo. Maybe Ultegra Di2.
I have mentioned it here before, but what are your thoughts on drivetrain upgrades at the moment?

It seems like the roadie drive train is in such a state of change everything is up in the air.
Everything is moving to 11 speed, brakes are changing from cable to hydraulic (disc and rim), wheels are changing to disc, electronic shifting, and SRAM just leaked some wireless electornic shifting with hydro disc brakes.

Do I buy a ten speed sram red mechanical for peanuts, or get electric with disc brakes and upgrade frame and wheels, or stay ten speed? Fark!

I just have the feeling that there is a quantum shift in drivetrain development taking place RIGHT NOW and wondering if I am better off holding off for a year until things are a bit more, how do you say, universal standard?