Post your Roadie

fergo

Likes Dirt
View attachment 215522
Here she is, my first roadie. It the Caad10 5 which comes with 105 groupset. I got 105 pedals. Rides so nice.

First ride started awesome until the left pedal came off while i was standing and sent me OTB at ~30kph. Looks like the pedal wasn't screwed in properly and as I've loaded it up the small amount of thread in the crank has stripped. Luckily my head and shoulder broke my fall! Cracked my helmet and banged my shoulder up pretty good. Oh well, that's riding.

Bike is in the shop now getting checked out and fixed up. They're sorting me with a new helmet too which is good.
I got the same bike but the red one. I love it. Have done about 800km on it including Around the Bay 210km ride. No probs at all. I changed the crankset to compact and up until Saturday, thought I had done the wrong thing. Saturday I went over Mt Macedon which peaks at around 18% (North side Straws lane) and was gratefull for the 34-28 gearing.

Pity about the pedal and stack. Nothing more annoying than scratching a new bike - let alone stacking it due to others inattention. Hope the frame gets replaced!

choiboi

Likes Dirt
Is that a 2012 CAAD10? I haven't seen that scheme yet..

I'm loving the Gulf and raw schemes for the 2012 bikes!!

Here's mine..

jayjay3032

Likes Bikes
Yep 2012.

I was thinking of having a crack at mt Macedon in a couple of weeks but I think I might run out of gears!
The frame is fine and the pedals, crank arm and grip were all replaced. Also got a new helmet worth about twice as much as the old one!

Really been enjoying riding it. Can't wait to take it out for a long ride.

Mindbeyondaverage

Cannon Fodder
Here is my first road bike. Bought it as a piece of just for 50 bucks just to ride with a friend. Got really into it so I changed almost everything on the bike from chrome to black parts. Did all the work myself. Real proud of it. BTW I don't have money for modern high end ones so putting a a few hundred into this was worth it to me. Only original parts are the derailleurs, brake calipers (painted black), brakes (new hoods), and bars (new tape), oh and of coarse the frame.

Hope you like!

brettjon

Likes Bikes
Custom, I like. I'll probably head down the same track. coach is telling the team to run road bikes for cardio so I'll build up a nice cheap one and get started!

taibo

Eats Squid
My roadies...

New bike for the year...

2012 Focus Izalco Team
Sram Red Black edition, carbon prologo seat, carbon bar/stem/post, Vision TC5 tubs with carbon/ti skewers. 6.7kgs as pictured. will probably end up being 7kgs after i put Sram Quarq cranks on.

Trusty BMC...

will be retired to wet weather and commuting duties only. I love this bike, has given me 3 years of service and only let me down a few weeks ago when the Fulcrum 5 front wheel blew a spoke.

Track bike...

cant wait for RAW to start again this year :single_eye:

Rick_B

Likes Bikes
The Focus looks fantastic, definitely one of the sharpest looking bikes at the TDU trade expo last week. How do they ride?

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
New bike for the year...

2012 Focus Izalco Team
Sram Red Black edition, carbon prologo seat, carbon bar/stem/post, Vision TC5 tubs with carbon/ti skewers. 6.7kgs as pictured. will probably end up being 7kgs after i put Sram Quarq cranks on.
Looks good, but two things...

New road bikes should never be photographed in that gear combo. Everyone now knows you're soft! ;p

Maybe not that soft because even in that gear it's a great effort to ride it without pedals!

Nice work Tai. :)

Binaural

Eats Squid
Waiting for a new custom-made titanium frame to turn up - the minutes are passing like hours. Still a few weeks to go! Will post up some pictures when I've got it all screwed together in roughly the correct fashion.

KLabs

Likes Bikes
My Vintage Roadie

It is an Austral Steel frame (193x vintage), Suntour Sprint gears, Weinmann Dynamic brakes (196x or 197x vintage), Super Courier track seat (1973 vintage).
The forks, wheelset, crankset, Saddle Bag, and Cassette/RD are new :)
I have owned it for 40 years and I used this bike with 27" wheels in the earlier 70's for track and road racing. Hope you like it :)

View attachment 225574

Last edited:

Big JD

Wheel size expert
more photos please

oh... there is a bike..

sorry dude. :)
yeah we need to get some more pics of that frame (while being ridden) from a few different angles.

sorry mate but you asked for it

could milk this with smutty behaviour for about a week....................... dont get out much

Bluemutt

Likes Bikes
Apollo EliteC ... weight is about 7kgs as shown :)

KLabs,
what range cassette are you running?
Looks good for climbing...

I'm doing heaps of hill training around the Sunny Coast Hinterland on the stock 11-25 that came with my Defy2 and its hurting.

KLabs

Likes Bikes
Apollo EliteC ... weight is about 7kgs as shown :)

KLabs,
what range cassette are you running?
Looks good for climbing...

I'm doing heaps of hill training around the Sunny Coast Hinterland on the stock 11-25 that came with my Defy2 and its hurting.
Hi Bluemut, the cassette is an 11-36T and I use an MTB XTR M972 SGS 9spd RD with a 3mm longer B screw than standard. All other Groupset components are DA 7800. I use this arrangement for lots of hill climbing and because I run a 39/53 crankset and I am heavier nowadays. Yes, it's great for climbing any steeps even if I am tired. If I lost 20kgs, which would drop me down to 65kgs, then I probably wouldn't need it, but anyway it's still much less strain on the knees :)

On the steelie, which weighs a little more than 9kgs, I run an 11-34T cassette with a compact 34/50 crankset. I still have the original steel forks and they actually weigh 650gms, which is not bad for forks that are nearly 80 years old. I changed them because I think there might be a little too much internal corrosion and did want to risk unnecessarily damaging them :)

The bike weighs about 7kgs as shown. We weighed it at the LBS when it had Mavic Equipe wheels, which are just under 1800gms, and m540 spd shimano pedals and it weighed just under 7.5kgs on their digital scales. The wheels shown are Prolite Braccianos which weigh just under 1500gms. The weight I have indicated is an honest weight :)

Last edited:

KLabs

Likes Bikes
Hi Bluemut, are you training up around the Dulong/Mapelton/Monteville range area. When I was young I used to ride/train in that area. I often would ride up Dulong range fixed wheel (on the old steelie, above). I did not have gears then and it had 27" wheels. The bike is actually lighter with gears (as shown) then it was back then with fixed gearing (what's now called single speed or fixie). Just lighter wheels and much lighter pedals :)

Also , now that the Obi Obi road is bitumen you could train out to Kenilworth. Fantastic views up on the range ... have fun :)

Last edited: