Post your wicked BANSHEE thread....

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
From what I have read, rune would be a minimum for Maydena unless you're hanging on for dear life (which I would be !)
I'm currently at Maydena for the first time, on my Rune, with 180mm Lyrik up front (normally run 160 Mattoc). I also have a Spitty and never once contemplated bringing it.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I'm currently at Maydena for the first time, on my Rune, with 180mm Lyrik up front (normally run 160 Mattoc). I also have a Spitty and never once contemplated bringing it.
I took a Banshee Legend and Pole Evolink 150 29er to Maydena and still got pummelled.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

clockworked

Like an orange
Maydena is a great place to make the argument about bike vs rider. Ive seen some dudes moving pretty quick on trances and the like there

Oddjob

Maydena is a great place to make the argument about bike vs rider. Ive seen some dudes moving pretty quick on trances and the like there
No doubt. There were some seriously quick dudes on SB130s and the Devinci Troys etc just carving the place up. But they obviously ride places like Queenstown and Whistler regularly and raced lots.

That aint me. I raced dh (badly) 10-15 years ago. Didn't touch a bike for 5 years and my body is a dumpster fire that has just been put out. I need as much bike as I can get to cover for that.

Delazy

Got a new bike!
likewise I’ve seen some incredibly quick people ride Maydena on trail bikes...

but I’ve also had the experience (unfortunate) of riding a giant reign and seeing how much more stability the longer wheelbase and slacker fork gives you at speed... Night and day compared to my little Sight...

Sounds like a rune minimum is the only option... hoped the spitfire would do the job given various comments of it punching well
above it’s weight...

Looks like it’s either ride more and get better on the sight or throw together a purpose built bike

Boom King

but I’ve also had the experience (unfortunate) of riding a giant reign and seeing how much more stability the longer wheelbase and slacker fork gives you at speed... Night and day compared to my little Sight...

Sounds like a rune minimum is the only option... hoped the spitfire would do the job given various comments of it punching well
above it’s weight...

Looks like it’s either ride more and get better on the sight or throw together a purpose built bike
If I didn't have the Rune, I'd have ridden the Spitty. It would have done the job, particularly in the current muddy conditions, where everything is a bit slower.

I contemplated bringing the Sunday but leant toward the Rune. I'm not sure which would have been better but the majority of riders here are on enduro style bikes.

Delazy

Got a new bike!
If I didn't have the Rune, I'd have ridden the Spitty. It would have done the job, particularly in the current muddy conditions, where everything is a bit slower.

I contemplated bringing the Sunday but leant toward the Rune. I'm not sure which would have been better but the majority of riders here are on enduro style bikes.
Did you do derby as well? How’d the rune go there?

Boom King

Did you do derby as well? How’d the rune go there?
Haven't been to Derby but it would be a toss up between the Spitty and the Rune with 160 up front. If it was a trip just to Derby, pretty sure I'd Spitfire. If it was a trip involving Maydena as well, I'd Rune.

The Rune actually pedals well and for a long time, was my only bike. The Spitfire is just a bit lighter, more nimble and playful.

Oddjob

above it’s weight...

You could take the Sight for the blue and freeride tracks and hire a Canyon Torque for black and up.

And do lots of gym work in preperation. My legs only really got strong enough by day 3.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I rode Derby on my Spitty a year back and it was on point. Only really felt out of my comfort zone on Detonate and a couple of the knarly Trouty sections, but then I'm a hack and a fat bastard. Haven't taken it to Maydena yet, but having ridden a 140/130 29 trail bike there, and mostly sat behind a mate who hired a Sender for the day I was pretty envious of the Sender on the double black and pro line sections.

Last edited:

Delazy

Got a new bike!
I rode Derby on my Spitty a year back and it was on point. Only really felt out of my comfort zone on Detonate and a couple of the knarly Trouty sections, but then I'm a hack and a fat bastard. Haven't taken it to Maydena yet, but having ridden a 140/130 29 trail bike there, and mostly sat behind a mate who hired a Sender for the day I was pretty envious of the Sender on the double black and pro line sections.
I’ve sat behind those bloody hire senders for a moment or two before they disappear into the distances on a few occasions...had lesser riders on my ass too...damn those things are pretty much hovercrafts

sounds like I’ll keep the sight as is and throw together something with parts laying around and just wheel swap between the 2 for Maydena

Jpez

Down on the left!
Im heading over at Easter and have hired a Sender. Originally had a Torque but went with the Sender for kicks.
Was a bit worried I might have overbiked myself as last time I was on Strive which coped fine.
Should still be a blast but will be with a mate that prefers more flow whereas I prefer more chunder.

Delazy

Got a new bike!
Last weekend was my first ride at Maydena in 7-8 months or so mostly due to cricket season taking up much of my summer... prior I’d been 5-6 times

either way my first impression was that trails had deteriorated drastically since I last rode there...place has had a big summer with what seems like little in the way of repairs and main focus of new trails...

The torque would be a better option if you wanted to do the wilderness trail which opens in full on the 18th...