Post Your XC Machine

Bodin

GMBC
It's a 2004 Stumpy I rebuilt with Rocket twist shifters and XT bits and pieces. The wheels I built from some new old X517 rims I had lying around using some really nice hubs by Novatec. The thing weighs around 10.7kgs
Is that a 30th anniversary frame? It looks exactly the same as mine and is the same model year, so I'm guessing it is. It's still my favourite bike ever and the one thing that still ties me to the 26" wheel format - I just can't bear the thought of selling it.

I'm jealous of yours, though - it weighs 1.5kg less than mine, yet I've got it blinged out with X0 and all kinds of expensive bits and pieces, but I'm running heavy forks (Fox TALAS) and heavy rims/tyres, so it's bombproof. However, seeing the weight of yours makes me want to damage my credit rating further.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Yes it is a 30th anniversary frame! The wheels weigh 1570g light but not stupid light and the rotors weigh 76g and 60g (F/R) the fork is a Manitou Skareb Platinum which weighs 1560g - it's a little flexy but nothing like the old SIDs just not stiff like the new ones. I also got some very light bars - the carbon Syntace Duraflites they are flat but with a 9degree bend and weigh only 108g but very strong. I took my time hunting for bargains on the net and here and there and so it didn't cost the earth.

Last edited:

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm embarrassed by the fact that I'm going to type this: REPRAZENT, YO! But, hey, I love this bike.
I have the next generation Stumpy, but I agree, they are gorgeous bikes, and I think that they also age very well, still looking very modern.

ScooterXC

Likes Dirt
Yup. Like new, except for a few thousand race km's.

Broke the seatpost first ride, now have an alloy one in it. Just doesnt look the same.
Aww damn. you'll just have to get a new fsa carbon one! :D
Great looking bike though.
Check out mine! on the top of page 107!! I got it from Dan McConnell:eek::cool:

jaybe

Likes Dirt
I've got to give thanks to Andrew @ Neezy and Timmy at ForTheRiders in Briso for sorting me out, whish every distributor and LBS were like this.

This is my first time I've riden such a light mtbike (24.7lbs w/bottle cage, computer, chainstay protectors, lower pivot mud flap, 3M protective tape) and it's like turboing your normally aspirated car.

I found riding my regular 5k loop that I was arriving at corners with more speed than I normally would, too fast in some instances. Instead of dropping a gear to accelerate I would change up a gear and accelerate. I usually do a 19m lap time/28.2lb bike on the 5k loop but knocked that down to 17m30s with a loose cassette fudging my gear changes (bloody mechanic -moi'), I reckon a 16m lap or less is possible if I get fitter.

Naturally the bike feels very familiar to me riding SC's and as with the LT2 it's best to leave the rear shock unlocked and enjoy a plusher ride. Feels like a cross between my old 4X/LT2.

Worth the dosh.........hell yeah.

nice bike mate.

What forks are they?
Interesting that you are using flat pedals by the pictures?
Tyre choice is what I am trialling at the moment.2.1F/2.0R? I am liking the combo at the moment, its taken me a while to settle on these. Do you like the combo?

Slowman

Likes Dirt
I have the next generation Stumpy, but I agree, they are gorgeous bikes, and I think that they also age very well, still looking very modern.
Tick, also have next gen (2007) I used 115mm Rebas as they were lighter and stiffer than the Fox 120RLCs at the time and also have the convenience of pushloc, inspite of the new shape in 2008 the suspension action is still the same, I'll be keeping this one for some time:

Attachments

Gripo

Eats Squid
Cricky Gripper! That thing is a bit too hot.

How do Santa Cruz do the head tube? Do you know if it has an aluminium sleeve or something for the headset cups?

I like your work! :)
Landon, there's no alloy sleeve hence why the lbs did the headset insert for me. The BB is a threaded alloy sleeve though.

nice bike mate.

What forks are they?
Interesting that you are using flat pedals by the pictures?
Tyre choice is what I am trialling at the moment.2.1F/2.0R? I am liking the combo at the moment, its taken me a while to settle on these. Do you like the combo?
Mate, the forks are 09 Fox F120RLC's.

I have a knee that doesn't liked to be clipped in so flats it is, they are heavilly modded MG1 Ti's that weigh only 260g for the pair (that's 40g lighter than CB Candy C's). Besides last weekend I did a 6hr and saw many a rider unclip and walk as soon as the tech sections came up that was easily ridden on flat pedals. My lap times weren't that far off the front runners using clips in my class.

Tyres are both Maxxis Exception series F Advantage 2.1, R Ranchero 2.0, I've been using this combo for 18 months. Advantage is trustworthy steering tyre and the Ranchero is a reasonably fast roller which offers reliable side grip.
The only reason I'll change is to chase some weight reduction and I'm looking at Schwalbe's RR,FF's.

Warwick

Likes Dirt
Aww damn. you'll just have to get a new fsa carbon one! :D
Great looking bike though.
Check out mine! on the top of page 107!! I got it from Dan McConnell:eek::cool:
It was the Carbon FSA stem that broke! Not really the stems fault though.
Nice bike Scooter. Very minimalist, no fuss style of thing. Who's old owner used to beat who?

jaybe

Likes Dirt
Landon, there's no alloy sleeve hence why the lbs did the headset insert for me. The BB is a threaded alloy sleeve though.

Mate, the forks are 09 Fox F120RLC's.

I have a knee that doesn't liked to be clipped in so flats it is, they are heavilly modded MG1 Ti's that weigh only 260g for the pair (that's 40g lighter than CB Candy C's). Besides last weekend I did a 6hr and saw many a rider unclip and walk as soon as the tech sections came up that was easily ridden on flat pedals. My lap times weren't that far off the front runners using clips in my class.

Tyres are both Maxxis Exception series F Advantage 2.1, R Ranchero 2.0, I've been using this combo for 18 months. Advantage is trustworthy steering tyre and the Ranchero is a reasonably fast roller which offers reliable side grip.
The only reason I'll change is to chase some weight reduction and I'm looking at Schwalbe's RR,FF's.
thanks for the reply mate. Just quietly I think most people that unclip and walk prob do the same with flats! i only changed to clips recently, it changed my whole riding style.

I find clips smoothed out my style and really helps on long climbs.

i like the tyre combo too its a good in between package between a full xc tyre and more agressive f/r types. I like em.

happy riding.

JB

ScooterXC

Likes Dirt
It was the Carbon FSA stem that broke! Not really the stems fault though.
Nice bike Scooter. Very minimalist, no fuss style of thing. Who's old owner used to beat who?
haha thanks. umm Dan used to come 2nd to Chris Jonewaard in everything. accept a few national rounds and stuff but i think Dan beat AJ most of the time :p:cool:

casper99

Likes Dirt
yeti arc

cracked my othe frame so heres my new rig.

Frame:Yeti ARC large
Fork: White Fox F100 w terrelogic
Headset:Blue Cris king
Stem:Truvative XR 100mm (from an old old bike)
Bars:Easton EC70 cut down to be extra narrow
Brakes:XTR 160mm rotors
Shifters:XTR
Bar ends:Scud amobia Carbon wrapped
Grips:Foam grips
Seat Post:Truvative XR (from old bike)
Saddle:Fizik gobi blue
Saddle clamp:Salsa allen key
Cranks:XTR
Pedels:Crank bros basic egg beaters
Front Derailier:XT
Rear Derailier:XTR
Cassete:XT
Chain:XTR
Wheels:Bontrager race X lite
Tyres:
Front: Maxxis Monrails standard
Rear:maxxis crossmark standard
Bottle cage:Zipp carbon

A big thanks to For the Riders who built the bike up for me. Also while the bike was being built lent me a bike to race on.

The bike at the moment is 10.9kg. But i have a Tompson Elite seatpost to replace old one, New tyres as well Which are Continetal race king supersonic. This should knock off a fair bit more weight. But the goal is to get it under 10kg. Lite tubes will also be on the way as I have standrad at the moment. Cant seem to load photos at the moment hopefully will get some up later.