Pre-entry only for downhill racing; good or bad?

Incontinent

Crusty Juggler
Finally, one prob I see with holding some spots open on the day (above) is what happens when the event's sold out and Rennie turns up. Is it fair to let him in while Joe Punter misses out?
No
If the events are publicised as pre-entry only then even the pros have no excuse. Interesting to see you use Rennie as an example, he more than anyone would probably understand and cop it sweet. Still I'd hate to be the one to tell him.

It's a bit of a toughie. The event's a whole lot easier to run if everyone's pre-entered...but if your event doesn't fill up with pre entries...do you throw it open to on-the-day entries? Because while you might pick up a few more dollars, you're only going to confuse riders about pre-entry next time.
It really ought to be all or nothing - and if venues are reaching capacity it's a no-brainer.
Agree
As someone who has helped at Rego in both cases,
Pre entry shits all over enter on the day.
And from the point of view of race starter it sure does help when you can go up to the top of the hill at the designated time with start list in hand and not have to wait for it because of last minute entries etc.
I like many others see both sides of the coin. Father of kids that race and helper (sometimes) at the race.
Bottom line is that pre entry only is the way to go.

Last edited:

anthonyma

Likes Dirt
In general, I think pre-rego only is a good idea for the reasons stated by others. Whilst it would be nice to be able to provide last-minute registrations also (kinda like buying tickets to a gig at the door if it isn't sold out), I concur with the views of others re the difficulties that this could generate.

A few people have mentioned refunds - not in the case that the race is cancelled, but in case of injury etc. I'm not sure this would deter people from registering on spec and deciding not to attend if eg it was wet, they got a better offer, didn't feel like it on the day etc. 10% of a race entry fee isn't much (especially when compared to how much most of us spend on bikes and gear).

I've noticed that numbers here in SA are generally lower when it is really wet. If buses are already booked based upon an expectation of say 200 riders attending and 80 of those riders decide they would rather "forfeit" $5-10 than race in the wet, organisers could still see themselves out of pocket, and those who potentially missed out on rego due to a numbers cap would be rightfully annoyed.

IMO things would be easiest for organisers if there were no refunds available. If you enter and don't race, tough. It's a bit like entering, crashing on your first practice run and being unable to ride for the rest of the weekend. If you crash the week before, or don't like the weather on the day, it's not the responsibility of the race organiser. Of course, organisers may be prepared to provide a refund given sufficient notice as this allows that slot to be filled by another rider (such as if there was a wait-list as is the case for some events that currently have limits on numbers).

...jim

skanky media ho
Originally Posted by ...jim
Finally, one prob I see with holding some spots open on the day (above) is what happens when the event's sold out and Rennie turns up. Is it fair to let him in while Joe Punter misses out?
No
If the events are publicised as pre-entry only then even the pros have no excuse. Interesting to see you use Rennie as an example, he more than anyone would probably understand and cop it sweet. Still I'd hate to be the one to tell him.
I think the prob exists where one of the top riders turns up and it becomes hard for grommet-helper X to turn them away, reasoning - "It's my hero, I'll do him a favour". Nah, it has to be all or nothing - and if the message is going to stick it has to be consistant. Oh, btw Rennie was a random selection - prolly 'cause he's not going to read it and hold a grudge:)

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Having been there and done (same deal as most of the input so far), I am 100% in favour of pre enrty. In my opinion, every state, national and world sanctioned event should be pre entry only.
For an organiser and the clubs staff, it is so much easier to have the entry dilemma over and done with before the event lands on your doorstep. That way the organisers can concentrate on getting the riders on their bikes sooner. It is also better for all concerned with the behind the scenes stuff as you know how many buses and trailers to get and you know what time you can arrange the actual timed racing to start.
There is so many more positives to pre enetry than their is negatives. I am also in favour of capping numbers for an event because that relates heavily to what I stated above.
From the other side of the fence (as an entrant), entering online is so much easier and way less time consuming. You don't have to worry about forgetting to bring cash to the event, you can show your reciept, affix your number plate and load your bike on the trailer.
Time is money, the less people sitting at a desk writing your name down and checking their own wallet for correct change means more time for the riders to do what they came for: To ride!

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
I've noticed that numbers here in SA are generally lower when it is really wet. If buses are already booked based upon an expectation of say 200 riders attending and 80 of those riders decide they would rather "forfeit" $5-10 than race in the wet, organisers could still see themselves out of pocket,
I wouldn't even contemplate a refund just because it was wet or the rider over slept.

At our National I did about 5 refunds. Each one of those rang at least 4 days before the race with a genuine excuse and I was happy to refund. If they had have rang the day after I would have said tough luck.

Dazed&Confuzed

Likes Dirt
For me (a race organiser) pre-entry for state and national rounds is the only way to go.
Cut-off should be at least 1 week in advance.
TV, radio and newspapers like a bit of notice and programs are handy.

Next tread: Day licenses or not at state and national events.
IMO we can have day licences but they can ride in the Novice class.

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
Next tread: Day licenses or not at state and national events.
IMO we can have day licences but they can ride in the Novice class.
Thats the next thing I want to address at our races (state and bigger) once the pre-entry system is sorted.

But as you say, thats a whole other thread.