Progression to a Tailwhip (360 with bike)

Derka Derka

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

I had a go at a 360 tailwhip on the weekend. Basically lanched of a good size double like doing a superman, kicked the bike as hard as i could with my back leg, and rotated my hands to help with the bike being rotated. Got the bike to 180 degrees and it stopped. I went ooooh fck! and crashed knees then shoulder and face into the ground.:D I really dont know how i managed to keep my teeth??

Ok so my question is how do i learn a tailwhip 360 without killing myself? what is the progression of tricks that will help with getting this?

If it makes any difference i ride in Sydneys northern beaches. So if you are thinking a foam pit or an easy jump for this? do you know of one that is handy?

Last edited:

djrider

Likes Dirt
I think you mean just a normal tailwhip. A 360 tailwhip is when you are doing a 360 and a tailwhip at the same time.
it just take practice to learn and if you feel your not going to make it throw the bike, there is nothing worse than landind on it. if you want to learn it you are going to get hurt trying and thats that.

Derka Derka

Likes Dirt
Can you actually 360 or tailwhip yet?
Nah, sorry I meant a tail whip (where the bike goes around a 360 rotation).

Any ideas on the tricks that i need first that will then help me to get this? The body is sore today so i am thinking that there must be an easier way??? And it has also given me a greater understanding of how fcken hard it is to get...you guys that land it are legends!!

AMBURGERS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i cant tail whip, but lots of people i know learn them out of quaters or a bowl.

just my 2 cents

LIAM?!

Banned
Foam pit would be a real good help, but another way of practicing getting the spin is by doing them on a tramp bike... it is quite easy!

i like dirt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've just learnt them the main tips my friends gave me were

1. Get over the bike, its very important if the bike is even on an angle in-front of you, you'll have a small chance of catching it.

2. Pull your brakes on, by putting the brakes on and keeping them held on the bike has a more solid feel while rotating. Plus the pedals stay in place for catching.

3. Watch your pedals, obviously it'll make catching the pedals easier.

Thats pretty much it. While I was learning them i found the ones i stacked i wasn't doing all three of the above. I would be only doing 2. For example I'd pull the brakes on after kicking and then watch my pedals but then I wouldn't even be over the bike. you get all three of these and you'll just about have it.

kill_switch

Dead-set Idiot
trampbike is a good way to learn and get use to the action of kicking and rotating the bike. untill i got a tramp bike i though i would kick it wrong way, then when i got one it was obvious that it goes the other way.:D

Cheers
Brent

Rickystp0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2. Pull your brakes on, by putting the brakes on and keeping them held on the bike has a more solid feel while rotating. Plus the pedals stay in place for catching.
I seriously cant pull my brakes when i do them. it does shit all. I just put both feet on at the same time but everyone has different ways

try on a flyout. Quaterpipe so then u dont ax yourself over doubles aswell

Kirky

Likes Dirt
Find yourself a hot day, a mass of water, and a kicker.

Just spend a day dam jumping to get the hang of it.

i like dirt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I seriously cant pull my brakes when i do them. it does shit all. I just put both feet on at the same time but everyone has different ways

try on a flyout. Quaterpipe so then u dont ax yourself over doubles aswell

Yeh thats what I thought at first, but I catch with my front foot then put the back on so when i would catch the front pedal they would move. once I started putting my brake on that fixed all of it. more of a personal preferance thing I suppose.

Last edited:

Cooch

Likes Dirt
In one of the NWD DVD's Cam McCaul is going over his slopestyle run at the top of the drop in. One of his jumps is obviously a tailwhip. While he is standing waiting for his run, he is going over it in his head. When he "gets" to his tailwhip, he actually lifts his bike off the ground, and just whips it round 360 degrees while he is standing there!! So there is obviously a huge amount of upper body strength and technique involved. He made it look soooooo easy, like everybody should be able to do a tailwhip.

This is how I practice x-ups. I sit on the bike, lock the back brake, lift the front end and practice my x-ups before I do them jumping. BMX'ers back there bike into a wall and lift the front end and practice bar spins. So I guess if you can lift your bike off the ground and tailwhip it - it would go a long way towards doing it in a jump... I've yet to try it though!

Ty

Eats Squid
In one of the NWD DVD's Cam McCaul is going over his slopestyle run at the top of the drop in. One of his jumps is obviously a tailwhip. While he is standing waiting for his run, he is going over it in his head. When he "gets" to his tailwhip, he actually lifts his bike off the ground, and just whips it round 360 degrees while he is standing there!! So there is obviously a huge amount of upper body strength and technique involved. He made it look soooooo easy, like everybody should be able to do a tailwhip.

This is how I practice x-ups. I sit on the bike, lock the back brake, lift the front end and practice my x-ups before I do them jumping. BMX'ers back there bike into a wall and lift the front end and practice bar spins. So I guess if you can lift your bike off the ground and tailwhip it - it would go a long way towards doing it in a jump... I've yet to try it though!

I find the action more in the arms/wrists rather than kicking with your feet (though a good kick helps)

try standing beside the bike (bmx) and pick up the bike and whip it round just using your arms a few times to get an idea of the motion.

that said a tramp, creek jump or swing makes it alot easyer.

note: please take this with a grain of salt as I give my self a 50/50 chance of landing them to pedals each time I do them.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
you gotta learn them on ground, standing on your feet, its all in the upper body, (people do kick the bike round, but that just ends up breaking parts, and ankles!!)..

just whipping it around standing up. then start doing them on fly outs..

now that youve learnt to spin them in the air, in about 30 minutes... look forward to that for the next 2 years, as you wont be landing on the pedals for atleast 2 years.:p

As that seems to happen to everybody.

Derka Derka

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys those are some really great suggestions!! Now it is just a matter of doing the hard yards...having some fun, maybe losing some skin and hopefully picking up a new move..Rock On!!!!!