Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Arete

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the kind words. I got a bunch of history on the car - was sold new in California and then was in Cuba for a few years when it's owner was stationed over there, before going to Maryland with him. At some time in the 70's the 170 cyl and 2 speed merc-o-matic was swapped for the y block and the toploader, stayed with the original owner until 2009 and has changed hands a few times since then. The guy I bought it from was going to back half it and put a blown chevy in to drag race it, but found a chevy he liked better.

I'm still waiting for it to be shipped up to Connecticut, which has been delayed 2 weeks due to crappy snowy weather we've been having. In preparation I've picked up a few parts to get it cruising this summer, and looking to convert it from 4 lug/drums to 5 lug/discs.

did you pay the premium?
The insurance premium? It's actually super cheap as it's registered as a classic.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
IMAG0020.jpg

[video=youtube;RaTNt9v_uTw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaTNt9v_uTw[/video]

Doing a skid at WSBK and I got tired so had a little lie down :D

Broke a fitting on the turbo scav pump so had to trailer it home..... Making new parts now.

binner

Hath shat hymself
it aint no kombi

geebus 5 weeks has gone by in this thread and nothing...........well, I'll pump it up. Just bought this for a slow resto. It's not the type of buggy I wanted but I got some nice lil plans for it :thumb:

Attachments

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Going in tomorrow:

IMG_20140406_204743_896.jpg

IMG_20140406_204755_000.jpg

IMG_20140406_204808_104.jpg

1.6 rockers, a double chain timing set.

And finally, a cam with close to a full 300 degrees of duration!

binner

Hath shat hymself
Correct!

This will be among the last steps in the current rebuild process. Can't wait to get it out running on the street properly again.
even though i'm an air cooled guy i would still love to resto an ol ford/dodge pick up.....

you got the shit right there!!

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Anyone got a recommendation for a CRC / TBSM equivalent for auto parts? I'm just chasing a set of new rotors and probably some bendix pads to match for the little Hilux. I'm in the NT so dealing with an actual shop front has been rather painful thus far....

Cheers and beers :thumb:

Anthony B

Likes Dirt
Carmodsaustralia.com.au
Just check with them first on having the part. I've got an order I've been waiting on for a while, communication is good with the guy following up the order but when $400 worth of parts are being waited on getting close to a month it's a tad frustrating.

I have bendix ultimate pads on my e30 & the sooner they wear out the better I'll be going back to ferodo pads(a little more dust but far better pad feel) Are you running standard brakes on the hilux frenchman?

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Thanks pk.

Anthony, it's got standard brakes. I've been toying with the idea of supra brakes however. There a guy on toy mods that's got a decent guide to getting it done. It's the 4x2 2006 tgn16r.

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some quality in here, kind of ashamed of posting the golf but i've had some very minor things happening the last week....so i took the bars off cause i was bored and its the easiest thing to do -

1184845_10151860592887414_1431105737_n.jpg

Then by chance a friend had a oem set of small chrome bars from his 76' he had lying around and he needed a bmx....well i had one, so swaps it was. You can definately see their age, all but 3 end caps weren't salvageable so i ripped them off, and hit the chrome with some polish, carried out some rust repairs/proofing behind the bars and stuck them on. Im currently waiting on some amber front indicators to go in before i can even drive it. Anyway rear bar as it sits -

1966790_10151968279767414_1811264409_n.jpg

Since all of this i've sprung an oil leak so i have to track that down then fix the rh window reg....and then 423 other things to do.....i have big dreams for this thing....one day

Ziggy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wish i could whisper this....but unfortunately they are reps. The originals are Schmidt TH, if i could justify the cost at the time i purchased these id have them, but they'd cost me mostly what i bought the mk1 for. The beauty of it all i guess is that those that don't see much old euro rolling down the street can appreciate the style without knowing the quality, heck maybe they'll get into em ;)

Fronts 15x7 +20
Rears 15x8 +20

I wish i was more patient with tire choice, i got stuck with 185/55 but instead should have imported something like 175/45, i could drop the rear a heck of alot more...ah well gives me less attention

binner

Hath shat hymself
dont draw a crowd

I wish i could whisper this....but unfortunately they are reps. The originals are Schmidt TH, if i could justify the cost at the time i purchased these id have them, but they'd cost me mostly what i bought the mk1 for. The beauty of it all i guess is that those that don't see much old euro rolling down the street can appreciate the style without knowing the quality, heck maybe they'll get into em ;)

Fronts 15x7 +20
Rears 15x8 +20

I wish i was more patient with tire choice, i got stuck with 185/55 but instead should have imported something like 175/45, i could drop the rear a heck of alot more...ah well gives me less attention
in QLD, the less attention the better mate....

nice water pumper you got going there....

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
First road trip since the rebuild

550km round trip, 250km of which was on winding country roads. Ran beautifully. First major trip after a 9ish month rebuild. ~350rwhp after the engine work.

DSC_0948.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Time to bring this thread back with a question:

Has anyone in Canberra had car seats re-upholstered? I need mine done and upholstery is not something I'm going to manage to get right myself. As such, I'm wandering if anyone has any experience with upholsterers in Canberra? Places to go, places to avoid.

yase

Squid
6 months into an anticipated 2 year build. Started out life as a 2006 CBR1000, after lots of time and money will hopefully be riding low 7sec ET's down the 1/4 mile at Kwinana on a turbo/methanol 500HP monster :)

As purchased

Lowered forks awaiting 19" over swingarm

binner

Hath shat hymself
It never gets too much

So, after my kombi resto, I was getting restless for another resto and this popped up,I've done a couple of type 3 wagons before and a notchback but never had a fastback.

Lets see where this goes......

Attachments