Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

BizL

Likes Dirt
project bikes :)

Hey guys,
I've got a few bikes in the shed I'm working on.
A 91 ZR550 Cafe/Brat and a 99 ZX9r Streetfighter.

All the works done by me. Im about 90% done on the fighter and about 60% on the 550.
The zx9r now has 06 zx10r forks on it and about to graft a 04 zx10r swingarm on.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
zx2r-finally bought a bike

Brought this home today. Need to go through it properly still, but all up a fairly tidy bike!

10454324_783346971717637_7683487603267545614_n.jpg

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
750?
You need to green the back of it. All Ninjas should be green. My brother rides a green zx10r.
250. zx2r. Technically I'm just a newbie L plater. Although looking forward to riding a bike that revs out to 21,000rpm.

The purple is actually growing on me. Although I'll have to see what happens.

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
250. zx2r. Technically I'm just a newbie L plater. Although looking forward to riding a bike that revs out to 21,000rpm.

The purple is actually growing on me. Although I'll have to see what happens.
froth the purple and green, just get some race numbers on there for maximum street cred and you're done!

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some nice bikes being posted. I've got a CBR 125. Will post pics when I get around to it. Not exactly a project.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
As usual, I couldn't help myself and my brother and I started a tear down. Found a few exhaust and vacuum leaks, changed all the fluids, and now we are stripping the carbs cause they don't appear too happy. Hopefully going to balance them as well. Also considering checking valve clearances cause I don't want to throw a valve at 20k rpm.

I'll load up some pictures later cause right now rotorburn is being recalcitrant and for some reason uploads won't work

Also, digging the two zx's posted. Did you guys do any performance work to them that yielded tangible benefits?

Last edited:

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
I'd post my bike, but it's just a bog standard klx 250s, nothing special really.

I want a zx10r or r1 or something but money.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The gold coloured ZXR400H '89 just had no airbox, cam/ignition timing and jetting optimised (CV carbs).
The green ZXR400L SP '99 had custom ram airbox, and the usual SP gear, flatslides, CR box, SP cams and racekit ecu.
Neither were heavily modded. The ZXR was already one of the quickest in the class.

floody

Wheel size expert
Although looking forward to riding a bike that revs out to 21,000rpm.
Yeah...I wouldn't do that too often if I were you. The 4 cylinder race reps are all super spendy when they break and unless something has changed Kawasaki will laugh at parts requests. On the plus side it looks pretty neat!

binner

Hath shat hymself
Have any of you guys used Pertronix electronic ignition kits .......here's my problem.Before this it was running like a dream then I Left kombi in carport for 1 week without starting it, so the batt died, no probs I thought ...I'll just jump start it, it started fine and I let it run for about 15 mins on idle and shut it down. Then fiddled with some brake light and stereo issues with the ignition on but not running for about the same time...went to start it but batt dead again so I thought jump start again...did it but not a thing, wouldnt start ,kinda sounded like no spark...... I haven't changed a thing, all I did was fiddles with brake light wires....no fuses blown, fuel to carbs blarghhh blarghhh

Have I cooked the pertronix electric ignition?..seriously I have no clue why it would just not start now....it's got me really confused.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Go back to basics. Have you got power to the coil? Power to the dizzy?
Look carefully over what you have done. Unlikely you've cooked anything just by jump starting it.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Go back to basics. Have you got power to the coil? Power to the dizzy?
Look carefully over what you have done. Unlikely you've cooked anything just by jump starting it.
Sorted it out, a wiring bad on my part....... So I fixed that and did a ill more on this,nearly ready to fit back in......

Attachments