Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

binner

Hath shat hymself
nice plugs

^^^^^^ nice plug welding there chap. always a pain when welding in new floor pans, a little bit of jiggling n twisting is sometimes needed when the body comes back on the pan.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
^^^^^^ nice plug welding there chap. always a pain when welding in new floor pans, a little bit of jiggling n twisting is sometimes needed when the body comes back on the pan.
Thanks mate! Was really happy with those ones. A couple blew out when putting the actual floor in, but hopefully I can tidy them up afterwards for a nice finish. Fingers crossed everything lines up when the body goes back on. It all looked pretty good to me and it helps that the body to pan holes are oval, so hopefully enough wiggle room to get it on place.

Still need to do some patching up of heater channels and above the torsion housing, and do the front right hand side pillar.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
Doods.

I posted ages back on this thread but didn't get much into it, but this time I've bought some books on chaises, aerodynamics and etc.

As I had a thought, instead of buying a rolling chaises, the house i'm at came with a bomb (Old 90's Corolla or some shit) and the thought came to me,, could I perhaps get the engine going (Or replace with it with used engine from another old car if fixing the engine becomes too much) and modify the chassis/body work to what I would like?

Or would this idea not work?

Shredden

Knows his goats
First mechanical issue with the cruiser!

LPG backfired and smashed the lid of my airbox. It had some clips on it but the previous owner seems to have added BOLTS which made it go bang rather than just popping the lid off like it did in my parents Falcon. New airbox is $120 and I've enquired about buying just the lid from a few wreckers.

Questions for the more knowledgeable:

1. I drove about 15 km's on sealed road without realising the lid was off. Not particularly dusty (it was raining) but my engine bay was quite dirty (dried mud). Anything I can do after the fact to reduce engine damage? Obviously next time it backfires I'll pull over and check it immediately.

2. A mate has a pod filter that is the right size - any real harm to putting this on for a week or two of on-road use while I wait for the airbox to arrive/find a better solution?

3. I have wanted to install a snorkel anyway - maybe now is the time? Would I be best to buy a snorkel and some sort of aftermarket airbox/in-line air filter and fit it all up now, rather than buying an OEM airbox and having to butcher it to fit snorkel?

4. How do I stop this from happening again? Is there some sort of one-way pressure valve I could maybe install somewhere along the intake that will let some pressure out without the airbox detonating? Would an LPG tune help? It's backfired twice in 1500kms. Just don't want to have to buy a new airbox every couple of times it happens.

stirk

Burner
vee dubs and land cruisers, you guys are killing me. I gotta finish one so I can buy the other!

2" and 33's is good. A mate has tackled some pretty hairy climbs in his 80 with the setup, the only blokes that made it up were heading I'll modded, fr different lock bigger lifts 35's but he damn near got it, everything else was a breeze, you'll love it.

Binner, engine pics! I think my plan now is a 1916cc tuned for daily with enough balls to cruise at 110 and surprise a few commodores but nothing stupid fast. Apparently aiming for 110-120hp. Should be plenty.

In my attempt for completely stereoless looking interior I've got the tweeters behind the bamboo headliner, still great sound but hidden, main door speakers hidden with thin metal bar across material to protect from knees and and amp under the rear seat. Seems silly though, head unit has rca leads up a pillar, through roof down b pillar into floor to the amplifier, and then the speaker wires runs back the same way to the dash then down into the doors!

Edit: finally went through with this, only be on for 6 months because of ludicrous price.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Awesome plate for a rat!

LPG backfired and smashed the lid of my airbox. It had some clips on it but the previous owner seems to have added BOLTS which made it go bang rather than just popping the lid off like it did in my parents Falcon. New airbox is $120 and I've enquired about buying just the lid from a few wreckers.

1. I drove about 15 km's on sealed road without realising the lid was off. Not particularly dusty (it was raining) but my engine bay was quite dirty (dried mud). Anything I can do after the fact to reduce engine damage? Obviously next time it backfires I'll pull over and check it immediately.

2. A mate has a pod filter that is the right size - any real harm to putting this on for a week or two of on-road use while I wait for the airbox to arrive/find a better solution?

3. I have wanted to install a snorkel anyway - maybe now is the time? Would I be best to buy a snorkel and some sort of aftermarket airbox/in-line air filter and fit it all up now, rather than buying an OEM airbox and having to butcher it to fit snorkel?

4. How do I stop this from happening again? Is there some sort of one-way pressure valve I could maybe install somewhere along the intake that will let some pressure out without the airbox detonating? Would an LPG tune help? It's backfired twice in 1500kms. Just don't want to have to buy a new airbox every couple of times it happens.
Buying a snorkle won't fix the issue. I'm not familiar with gas but a backfire is gas detonating in the intake system so bad tune or leak needs to be fixed. Definately a job for a professional, personally I'd get rid of the gas as it seems like a reliability issue on a car you'll be driving into the bush.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Doods.

I posted ages back on this thread but didn't get much into it, but this time I've bought some books on chaises, aerodynamics and etc.

As I had a thought, instead of buying a rolling chaises, the house i'm at came with a bomb (Old 90's Corolla or some shit) and the thought came to me,, could I perhaps get the engine going (Or replace with it with used engine from another old car if fixing the engine becomes too much) and modify the chassis/body work to what I would like?

Or would this idea not work?
What involve more legal issues, building a car or heavily modifying a car into a new car? I'd say building something would be the easy part, legalities will be the difficult stuff.

Carolla chassis would be a good start, small light, convert to rwd easily enough. Would love to see this.

Skydome

What involve more legal issues, building a car or heavily modifying a car into a new car? I'd say building something would be the easy part, legalities will be the difficult stuff.

Carolla chassis would be a good start, small light, convert to rwd easily enough. Would love to see this.

Heavily modifying into a new car.

I want to turn it into a rear engined car and style it quite agressively, think veneno/p1, or I may tone the complexity of the styling down to say mustang but with a bit more aggressiveness.

As of now, it will onlt be done as a project just to see if I can even do it, maybe take it to the track to fine tune it.

If all works out, I'd consider building something from scratch so it can be regoed as I imagine a heavily modified frame would be next to impossible to register.

Been doing heaps of googling on frames, frame styles, etc but i think I'll get a better idea with these books.

redbruce

Eats Squid

1. No, but unlikely damage done
2. Yes, as short term measure.
3. As mentioned, snorkel will not address issue but is a good idea long term. DONT buy a cheap imitation though.
4. It is a tune/service issue and needs a pro. Good luck finding one. What type of system has it got?

Heavily modifying into a new car.

I want to turn it into a rear engined car and style it quite agressively, think veneno/p1, or I may tone the complexity of the styling down to say mustang but with a bit more aggressiveness.

As of now, it will onlt be done as a project just to see if I can even do it, maybe take it to the track to fine tune it.

If all works out, I'd consider building something from scratch so it can be regoed as I imagine a heavily modified frame would be next to impossible to register.

Been doing heaps of googling on frames, frame styles, etc but i think I'll get a better idea with these books.
Whether a track or road car, engineering certificate is required for that level of mod.

Why anyone would want to design a rear engined car, with the obvious and inherent issues, is a mystery. Took Porsche and all its resources years to tame that formula.

Last edited:

Skydome

well I'm only in the extreme early stages.

And reason I want to go rear engine is I just like rear engine cars. For the first bit I will likely just convert it to RWD and do the styling crap and than debate with myself about going rear engine.

Are engineering certs hard to pass? I don't really have any big plans on getting it regoe'd but I'd need some way of testing and fine tuning it to be drivable if I do decide to do that.

Surely you can just rent the track out without having to pass engineering cert?

But this is all like soooo far ahead it's not really worth thinking about atm, my biggest thing is changing the frame and doing body work and etc.

Ohh, and moving the car from the paddock to the driveway and getting it operating first, haha.

Flow-Rider

Burner

You will not stop it, I've seen some of the best systems money can buy and they still back fire every now and then, blown rear main seals out, head lights blown clean out of the car, sumps and tappet covers looking like balloons. If there is any small problem with the motor, gas exaggerates it. You need to run an airbox that has springs on it instead of clips, even if you convert one yourself. The LPG cheapness is not cheap, you always have to make sure your ignition system is prime and the gas does not lean out.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Bloody hell elbo that's one hell of a job, good stuff!
Thanks mate! Was pretty scary up to the first weld, but after I got the settings on the welder dialled and the confidence to attempt it, I was good to go. Hopefully it starts coming together again soon. Haven't even looked at engine or anything yet, just rust and body work so far, but every bit is a step closer to rego.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Yeah it would have been a sweet plate till this came today. TETNUS is taken, might try RSTBKT.

I reckon it'd be better anyway with it's original plates. Can you find it's original number (assuming it was sold in your state...)?

Get that as a personal plate and "patina" it as far as you'll get away with.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
I reckon it'd be better anyway with it's original plates. Can you find it's original number (assuming it was sold in your state...)?

Get that as a personal plate and "patina" it as far as you'll get away with.
It has one original plate, I like the style but not sure I can get it in this style, haven't seen one like this in a long time. As for patina, I'm not right into the purposeful rusting.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
A black and white slimline on the front to match that one on the back (which is cool). I reckon that will work well.

Put the rotorburn logo in the little oval bit on the rear plate.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It has one original plate, I like the style but not sure I can get it in this style, haven't seen one like this in a long time. As for patina, I'm not right into the purposeful rusting.

While that plate is old, I doubt it is original. It's probably just a 'next in line' update from when that style was around. Bicentenary 1988 perhaps? Seventies would have had rego starting with G or H probably in NSW. I had a 1974 car with GZP??? plates, mate had a '76 with HUT???

Is it sad that you can remember the rego plates of cars you/your parents owned?

Skydome

Just had a bit of a peak at the old bomb. It's a corolla, more specifically, csx 1.6 1990's model.

No wheels on it, rotors are rusted and they were sitting on rocks ha, so they'd probably need to be replaced or something, fair bit of rust.

Engine wise, not too bad, radiator isn't connected, on brief look it appears to have everything you need, distributor cap, airfiler, shit,, even had a battery in it.

The steering seems to be fine, It didn't make any alarming sounds or anything. One thing that may be an issue, I couldn't find any keys for the ignition, but a flathead seems to move the ignition thing.

I'm sure with a lot of work I can make something of it.

Didn't find any huntsman's, so that's a big plus.

Soo,, where would I get a set of spare rims with tires, would local tire shops give up the correct size or should I consider making a craigslist etc ad in search of something?

Last edited:

Shredden

Knows his goats
Soo,, where would I get a set of spare rims with tires, would local tire shops give up the correct size or should I consider making a craigslist etc ad in search of something?
You'll be able to find the specs on carsales if you know the model and year.

From there, ebay/gumtree IMO.

Skydome

might even be late 80's. Manufacturing date on it only said may 6th, that said I didn't look super close at the info.

there we go, it's a 1986 model.

Last edited: