Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
E30 BMW, already a great chassis, awesome little cars.
Yeah, was gonna say the same thing! For me, E30's sit in that sweet spot where they're not too boxy, but not too bulky with the bodywork either. That's why I like the Mk2 Golf.

If you wanted a rear wheel drive, rear engine car, you could always get an air-cooled VW ;)

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
Might keep an eye out for a cheap e30.

What are the thoughts on say an old Skyline, silvia or an rx8 or something?

Just trying to think of something that would be in relatively large numbers in wreckers or something over e30's which I don't believe there'd be a huge amount of at wreckers?

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Skyline's and the like you will have to be careful to find one that hasn't been flogged. The older boxier ones probably survived, but the R32 era Skyline's have probably all had hard lives. Best bet is, once you know what you want, look for an example of that model that's as close to stock as possible, or has a good service history and receipts.

If you like JDM cars, have a browse of forums and google to see what other people have done with theirs and it might give you some inspiration :ranger:

Skydome

I already have a good idea with what I would want to achieve. Just trying to find something that is in pretty good supply and doesn't have a hugely boxy frame like the old volvo's haha.

Ideally, I would like something like an RX8 but modify the rear end of it so the frame/body work can be a lot more agressive/smooth like a veneno or a P1.

However realistic this,,,, I don't know, I expect I'd need to tone it down quite substantially and work up on it, but that's the general idea and I think something with the body/frame shape of an RX8 would have a good portion of my work already done, albeit, still requiring a fair bit of work.

stirk

Burner
I already have a good idea with what I would want to achieve. Just trying to find something that is in pretty good supply and doesn't have a hugely boxy frame like the old volvo's haha.

Ideally, I would like something like an RX8 but modify the rear end of it so the frame/body work can be a lot more agressive/smooth like a veneno or a P1.

However realistic this,,,, I don't know, I expect I'd need to tone it down quite substantially and work up on it, but that's the general idea and I think something with the body/frame shape of an RX8 would have a good portion of my work already done, albeit, still requiring a fair bit of work.
Rx8 to veneno is an ask unless there's a body kit!

If you want a head turner and like mazda a stock early 1st or 2nd gen rx7 will do that even without body kits.

Skydome

doesn't have to be a Mazda, just something with a more workable body to try and reduce my work load as much as possible.

stirk

Burner
doesn't have to be a Mazda, just something with a more workable body to try and reduce my work load as much as possible.
More workable body may equal cars which have body kits available to reduce your workload. Sounds like narrowing it down some however getting into costly territory.

How much cash and time do you have to put into this project?

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Changing an rx7 body would just be rude though.

Elbo, I was think the same about a rear engine build starting with a beetle. Rip out the pans, throw on an ej20 turbo, Manx fibreglass body and modify he shell as you please. Less than a ton and easily over 200kw, can't lose.

Check out a blokes build of a manx on aussieveesubbers, new 2016 wrx wrecked, all put into a custom chassis air-cooled, interior grafted in and brz tail lights, thing would be stupid quick and pretty much what you're after skydome. Keep her light enough and a gearbox rebuild with new ratios a busa motor would haul it around.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Beej1

Not a lot wrong with this body shape;

Hard to believe it's 25 years old.
That series 6 & 7 (and 8 apparently in Japan) shape, and the 90's A80 Supra (the orange one in the first Fast Furious movie), were ahead of their time ... design-wise anyway. They still look plenty good today.

Esp the RX7. The RX8 is a joke in comparison.

Saw a 20B turbo series 6 back in the day. Weapon.

Skydome

More workable body may equal cars which have body kits available to reduce your workload. Sounds like narrowing it down some however getting into costly territory.

How much cash and time do you have to put into this project?

I thinnk for starters it just looking for something that is in relatively high supply that has a suitable body from the start which can than be heavily modified.

As far as time and money goes,,, I got years, wouldn't mind having done to my liking for my 30th or 31st, so 3 or 4 years, which may or may not be a push.

Money wise,, well, more time will allow me to spend more on it, but will try and keep the cost down as much practically possible but I concede body work and engine (when I get to it) will probably cost quite a fair bit,,,, but I've got time and this is just something fun to do.

binner

Hath shat hymself
oil pressure woes

anyone got a good answer.....

here is the scenario, 2ltr air cooled engine, vdo oil sender unit, vdo guage...i start the car up , gauge shoots straight to around 40psi and hovers up and down as I'm driving in traffic. After around 20mins half hour of driving the gauge drops radically to zilch when i come to a stop and stay on idle. If I rev stationary it shoots back up to 30/40 then once off pedal it goes back to zero. My cylinder head temp doesn't alter at all.
I shut down, no oil leaks anywhere, oil level is good, oil looks clean on stick. Ohh and there is no oily smoke from exhaust , plenty of power through the gears. If i rest it for about 5 mins then restart and drive its back to normal until it repeats again

seriuously, WTF

relief valve
oil filter block
oil pump
pick up tube

this is my thoughts

Last edited:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Get an E34 bimmer.

So fkkn sexy, and hard to imagine they will lose any value at all moving forward.
Once the vw is done I'll be taking this, fixing the electrics and head gasket and chipping it. Miss this thing.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
anyone got a good answer.....

here is the scenario, 2ltr air cooled engine, vdo oil sender unit, vdo guage...i start the car up , gauge shoots straight to around 40psi and hovers up and down as I'm driving in traffic. After around 20mins half hour of driving the gauge drops radically to zilch when i come to a stop and stay on idle. If I rev stationary it shoots back up to 30/40 then once off pedal it goes back to zero. My cylinder head temp doesn't alter at all.
I shut down, no oil leaks anywhere, oil level is good, oil looks clean on stick. Ohh and there is no oily smoke from exhaust , plenty of power through the gears. If i rest it for about 5 mins then restart and drive its back to normal until it repeats again

seriuously, WTF

relief valve
oil filter block
oil pump
pick up tube

this is my thoughts
Try another gauge in it, it should be knocking like shit if it's going down to 0psi and the oil light should come on, most oil lights work when the pressure gets to under about 5 psi. It wouldn't hurt to change the oil and filter, check the oil pump and pump pickup. Failing that I would assume it has big clearances in the bearings.

Last edited: