Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I’m having conflicting thoughts about the 2019 Jimny... Saw one in Tokyo last month and they are pretty cool.

Not many proper 4WDs that are not behemoths.
Cold showers. Icy cold showers. Or emasculation. Probably has a better ANCAP rating than a new Mustang.

stirk

Burner
I’m having conflicting thoughts about the 2019 Jimny... Saw one in Tokyo last month and they are pretty cool.

Not many proper 4WDs that are not behemoths.
I like the look which borrows from the past models. While the zuk is too small for my needs I've always liked them.

A local old bloke gets around in a brown lj50 soft top, cool little car.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I do rather like it... Its the anti-SUV. Although I suspect the wheels of the Trance would stick out the sides when on a platform rack on the back...

Haakon

Probably has a better ANCAP rating than a new Mustang.
The cabin integrity is retained way better than I expected. But like the Smart it might retain the cabin intact, it still has bugger all to act as a crumple zone and hence the occupant deceleration is extreme...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Looks like you just need to avoid those ANCAP driverless sleds. Nasty fuckers. 3 stars! See still better than the previous model of Mustang and the same as the new one.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Looks like you just need to avoid those ANCAP driverless sleds. Nasty fuckers. 3 stars! See still better than the previous model of Mustang and the same as the new one.
Shudddup

Down to $329 a month lease. Just learnt brake pads and tyres included in deal.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Doesn't stop Mustungs selling like..... Well, like stuff that sells heaps.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Finally dumped the EJ20 in and did some false floor work. Radiator is going to be a challenge, managed to run hoses and make the rad easily removable if need be. Finished cutting down the wiring loom the other day and have it kinda installed.... had to make up some engine braces to hold gear box and support engine weight.... pics to come of that.....
I just wanna take it up to Rainbow beach now and see how she goes but I got a while yet I think...
**that pic of the Green manifold is a EJ22 going into a Baja soon I hope

Attachments

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Jimnys (?) are scary capable.
Mrs has a Jimny and it is really handy car. Will go off road easily and super for city parking. We have had it for about 6 years and nothing has went schappen.

Downside is the short wheelbase makes it but choppy and it needs more power. A turbo would help quite a bit.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Haakon

Finally dumped the EJ20 in and did some false floor work. Radiator is going to be a challenge, managed to run hoses and make the rad easily removable if need be. Finished cutting down the wiring loom the other day and have it kinda installed.... had to make up some engine braces to hold gear box and support engine weight.... pics to come of that.....
I just wanna take it up to Rainbow beach now and see how she goes but I got a while yet I think...
Holy exposed sump Batman!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Had a '91 Sierra myself. (Japanese) "Big Block" Vitara 1.6L and 5-speed, reduction gears in the transfer, front and rear diff locks, 31" tyres, lifted springs and body lift for clearance (FYI - don't do a body lift, they're shit. Trimming the guards would've been a much better solution...). Was a bloody weapon offroad!

Only the engine conversion was engineered though, and I had it around the time a lot of the P-platers started getting into 4WDing which meant defect notices were getting issued left, right and centre. Combined with near rolling it backwards on one track (could see nothing but the edges of tree tops and smelt fuel coming out the filler, the only thing that stopped it going over was the tow receiver propped and dragged on a large rock protruding from the trail), I decided I'd had my fun and sold it on.

It had all the ride quality and aerodynamics of a house brick, but damn it could climb! Still miss it... :(

IMG_1302a.jpg

IMG_9843-a.jpg

^^^ The little grey blob in the background of the 2nd pic is a mate standing at the bottom of the trail! :D

binner

Hath shat hymself
needed to have a clean up and check out how it really looks all done.......time for wiring harness cleanup and alt wiring, dual batt system etc install

Attachments

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It had all the ride quality and aerodynamics of a house brick
My younger brother had one of these. Leaf spring suspension all round made it the worst thing I have ever ridden in. Drive over a leaf on the road and the whole car would bounce around.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Unfortunately a discontinued project, but hell it was fun for the 10 years I had it.
Now long parted out :(

92 Ford Maverick ( Rebadged Nissan Patrol)
Diff locks
Big spring lift
Custom front high clearance bar
Winch
Compressor
Fire extinguisher
Roof console
35inch mud tyres

Liked to keep it in top nick, but in the end the body was a write off from all the off-road fun.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Someone I know seen you flying up the Toowoomba range in your bongo van
Had a '91 Sierra myself. (Japanese) "Big Block" Vitara 1.6L and 5-speed, reduction gears in the transfer, front and rear diff locks, 31" tyres, lifted springs and body lift for clearance (FYI - don't do a body lift, they're shit. Trimming the guards would've been a much better solution...). Was a bloody weapon offroad!

Only the engine conversion was engineered though, and I had it around the time a lot of the P-platers started getting into 4WDing which meant defect notices were getting issued left, right and centre. Combined with near rolling it backwards on one track (could see nothing but the edges of tree tops and smelt fuel coming out the filler, the only thing that stopped it going over was the tow receiver propped and dragged on a large rock protruding from the trail), I decided I'd had my fun and sold it on.

It had all the ride quality and aerodynamics of a house brick, but damn it could climb! Still miss it... :(

View attachment 349159

View attachment 349160
^^^ The little grey blob in the background of the 2nd pic is a mate standing at the bottom of the trail! :D
I actually turned one of those engines into a big block with a turbo and twin cammed it about 11 years ago. The 1300 Gti swift heads fit straight on them but you need to get pistons made to lower compression ratio so that you can run large boost. It was a project and a half, getting special conrods, pistons and head gaskets custom made, I actually built it to run laughing gas of the line so that we could have run a very large turbo on it but the owner soon ran out of money, kids, wife and it all ended really quick. It was put back into a Suzuki swift so we had to get the gear bag welded and machined to suit the 1.6 bottom end. The car has since been sold and is still rolling around somewhere near Launceston I believe.

brettengine.jpg

Bt2.jpg