Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

link1896

Wheel size expert
Pressure is one part of the story. It is all about cramming as many Nm3 in the cylinder as possible, low volume high pressure or low pressure high volume. Playing with LSs you could get better peak from the 2.3L blower but it cost at lower outputs spinning more wasted mass. Whores for cores.
Oh baby is a 500kw VE a hoot. You’ll spend another 14 grand on tyres of course.

Haakon

veni, vidi, volanti
You'll get pressure build up on a 1ltr engine because you can overdrive them a fair bit. With the Aisin AMR500 you can get up to 13.5 psi on a 1600 and heats not really a problem until you start going to big pressures over 10psi.
This would be on a 2 litre, so wouldn't be expecting massive results. Its 99kw/190nm as is NA, another 20 or 30 would be dandy with a focus on low down torque. Compression isn't nuts at 9.8:1.

Dales Cannon

Odious Geriatric
Staff member
Mate had a Gen F GTS with 2.3L Magnusson (?) bolted on. 750 rwhp. Stupid. Couldn't drive it in anger in the dry and if a dog pissed on a road within a km it was even worserer. Small chargers suffer from high IAT but are better for part load and lower load.

Twin turbo and sequential turbo are better options. Trick is sizing the things properly.

As for that rear end I don't get the point of drag racing, you see one airline steward with a handbag you don't need to see two side by side.

@Haakon I reckon a GM 6-71 roots blower would be perfect!

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nope. They have perfected the 959.

@blacksp20

Not sure if you guy's understood me correctly or not?

The reason I'm conflicted is the 959 is to special and rare in my mind. I'd rather see them fully restored. (Yep I had one on my wall as a kid too ha ha)
Many other not so rare / special cars to do as restomods.
Probably wouldn't care if they're rebuilding smashed up or neglected ones, the're finding the best standard examples then doing this to them.

Asininedrivel

Likes Dirt
@blacksp20

The reason I'm conflicted is the 959 is to special and rare in my mind. I'd rather see them fully restored. (Yep I had one on my wall as a kid too ha ha)
Probably wouldn't care if they're rebuilding smashed up or neglected ones, the're finding the best standard examples then doing this to them.
Normally I would agree - but this is Canepa. They played a significant role in the 959's development (it never would've been sold in the US had Canepa not gone to the endless efforts of getting them homologated, crash tested etc). They'd arguably know as much about the 959 as Porsche does, plus I believe most if not all their tweakery is reversible.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@blacksp20

Yeah I figured that’s what you meant.
Doesn’t bother me if they restomod them. If they are doing it tastefully, which it appears they are, then I think it’s tops. Much prefer them or a Singer over a RWB Porsche, they are monstrosities.

Asininedrivel

Likes Dirt
Yeah I figured that’s what you meant.
Doesn’t bother me if they restomod them. If they are doing it tastefully, which it appears they are, then I think it’s tops. Much prefer them or a Singer over a RWB Porsche, they are monstrosities.
Yeah I struggle with the RWB stuff too. However given the value of 964s and 993s has outstripped gold bullion I wouldn't expect to see too many more of them. Actually I'd expect many will be quietly "converted" back to standard in time.

RWB is finalising a 997 kit now, so they clearly see which way the market's going.

Last edited: