Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Got the Megane largely finished off over the Easter weekend. All went in mostly ok, although I had to split the engine and box as I realised the self adjusting clutch had to be reset again. And bleeding concentric slave cylinders is a monumental PITA... First test drive sans front :)

Wrong inlet manifold gasket in my parts order meant reusing old one, that’s leaking so hunting a bit on idle. AC holds a vacuum though, so some HyChill going in soon.

Last tweaks are to redo alignment of radiator support panel and headlight mounting, new inlet gaskets, gas AC, do a wheel alignment, and get a new windscreen fitted. And then see how much hassle it is to register it with no receipt for the shell I was literally given with an engine in it from a car we owned but was written off...

Now to deal with two trailer loads of stuff for metal and plastics recycling!!

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Bumpstops!

Been 95% happy with the Eibachs but never been sure what’s causing the rear end uncertainty/busy-ness. High speed rebound was always taxing and high speed compression firm.

Determined to get to the bottom of it research shows someone had determined that lowering a Polo 40mm means the very long urethane bumpstops were permanently engaged.

Pulled mine apart & yep, static ride height the stops are touching! 120mm stops OEM but he found an RS Skoda has special 65mm stops.

For the time being i chopped 40mm from my stops & the ride is transformed, the dampers can control the springs now, not dealing with the artificially high progressive spring rate of the bump stops.

Calmer, better transient response, jiggle gone. Dammit - they should include new stops with the springs!

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Bumpstops!

Been 95% happy with the Eibachs but never been sure what’s causing the rest end uncertainty/busy-ness. High speed rebound was always taxing and high speed compression firm.

Determined to get to the bottom of it research shows someone had determined that lowering a Polo 40mm means the very long urethane bumpstops were permanently engaged.

View attachment 371861

Pulled mine apart & yep, static ride height the stops are touching! 120mm stops OEM but he found an RS Skoda has special 65mm stops.

For the time being i chopped 40mm from my stops & the ride is transformed, the dampers can control the springs now, not dealing with the artificially high progressive spring rate of the bump stops.

Calmer, better transient response, jiggle gone. Dammit - they should include new stops with the springs!
More common than you would expect. Unfortunately.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Chasing (and finding) a left indicator fault in the new to us Farm Truck. The connection to the PCB in the indicator stalk is a bit touchy, hopefully gluing the wire to the plastic helps keep it stable.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
3 outta 3 for the Farm Truck. First was the absent internal door handle. Found the broken pieces in the milk crate in the tray, tek screwed it to the door shell and hey presto, now the door opens.

Second was the above mentioned left indicator.

Today's win was with the rough-as-fuck acceleration. And it struggled to hold 100kmh, not acceptable round these parts, and much much less than I was expecting out of a 2.6, even considering it's age. I thought it was some dodgy injectors, but speaking to my mechanic brother, he said it sounded more like a vacuum leak or a dodgy MAF sensor.

Pulled the MAF module out of the housing, gently brushed 26 years of shit off of it, plugged it back in. It was still accelerating past 130 when I ran out of road.

So far this thing has cost $0 over the purchase price.

Next challenge is taking it for a Vic Roadworthy to find out what else is wrong with it :rolleyes: