Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
Some friends have run foul of the law recently, the fines have exceeded inflation.

25km over the speed limit is now 3 months of walking.

Another friend got done for a positive thc saliva test. Had to do the mandatory behavioural modification course. She was the only attendee who had reformed their ways, my friend has swapped to opiates for pain management. The fine for a second positive thc result whilst driving is now 36 grand.
Not so bad in NSW yet

Flow-Rider

Burner
Some friends have run foul of the law recently, the fines have exceeded inflation.

25km over the speed limit is now 3 months of walking.

Another friend got done for a positive thc saliva test. Had to do the mandatory behavioural modification course. She was the only attendee who had reformed their ways, my friend has swapped to opiates for pain management. The fine for a second positive thc result whilst driving is now 36 grand.
How much of it is revenue raising? I always see speed cameras here where there have been no incidents and barely a cop to be seen where people run red lights and stop signs with crashes.

Anyway, we have the new updates coming, as if the cost of living isn't enough.

Queensland to increase speeding fines and traffic infringements by four per cent

binner

Hath shat hymself
Finished restoring the centre console I bought of Ebay. It was pretty rough. Have a new manual console insert, cigarette lighter, handbrake handle and button, and power window switches to complement. Paint was colour matched although the grey wasn't a good match, the blue was.

Ebay special:
View attachment 407508

Gross:
View attachment 407509

Ebay special, my original ashtray on the right:
View attachment 407510

Test fitting the Rare Spares console insert and boot, its pretty good:
View attachment 407511

Bogging up the damage, used Isopon plastic filler. That stuff goes hard 4 mins from mixing to had to work quick:
View attachment 407512
View attachment 407513

Insert and ashtray painted, not a good colour match (I sent the radio surround down to get colour matched, they must have picked a sunfaded spot or a place on the back of it, I can live with it though:
View attachment 407514

Console lid done, contrasting with shitty console:
View attachment 407515

Its like wrapping the worlds worst Xmas present:
View attachment 407516

Job done:
View attachment 407517
View attachment 407518
View attachment 407519
good job bloke, a lot of hours in that prep n paint......sweet work

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

Minlak

custom titis
How much of it is revenue raising? I always see speed cameras here where there have been no incidents and barely a cop to be seen where people run red lights and stop signs with crashes.

Anyway, we have the new updates coming, as if the cost of living isn't enough.

Queensland to increase speeding fines and traffic infringements by four per cent
Its all revenue raising - your fines literally come from the office of revenue - and all camera fines you are guilty until you prove your innocence - and showing their photograph with obvious errors in it does not actually meet your burden of proof as they have already judged you to be guilty from the photograph / video.

I was all for the "don"t break the law and you wont get fined brigade" - But my stance has changed - last trip to Brisbane and back a trip of 750 ish kms had 33 opportunities to be fined by cameras - if you didnt not pay attention and see them (some where however well hidden in trees etc) you would not modify your behaviour at all - they call out casual speeding yet they are not seen in their policing to get you to pay attention.

Having said that however if you get caught at excessive speed on a major road you are a complete fuckwit and deserve all you get - the term to learn people is "Judicious Speeding' - live by it :)

Flow-Rider

Burner
Its all revenue raising - your fines literally come from the office of revenue - and all camera fines you are guilty until you prove your innocence - and showing their photograph with obvious errors in it does not actually meet your burden of proof as they have already judged you to be guilty from the photograph / video.

I was all for the "don"t break the law and you wont get fined brigade" - But my stance has changed - last trip to Brisbane and back a trip of 750 ish kms had 33 opportunities to be fined by cameras - if you didnt not pay attention and see them (some where however well hidden in trees etc) you would not modify your behaviour at all - they call out casual speeding yet they are not seen in their policing to get you to pay attention.

Having said that however if you get caught at excessive speed on a major road you are a complete fuckwit and deserve all you get - the term to learn people is "Judicious Speeding' - live by it :)
Touch wood I haven't had a speeding ticket for over 8 years, with all the traffic and trucks around it's not hard to miss a speed sign and be unwilling speeding offender. The Bruce Highway is full of undercover police and speed traps, they always sit in and around the underpasses, and roadworks, and then you see them in and around the small towns where the speed limit changes.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub

I totally agree with the hidden speed camera thing. The whole point is to stop people from speeding not to catch people speeding. You could put up a whole heap of dummy cameras or even a "speed camera ahead" sing with only one or two that are real, and as long as they are highly visible, that would deter most from speeding.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I totally agree with the hidden speed camera thing. The whole point is to stop people from speeding not to catch people speeding. You could put up a whole heap of dummy cameras or even a "speed camera ahead" sing with only one or two that are real, and as long as they are highly visible, that would deter most from speeding.
We have the slow for Sam speed detectors here where you don't get fined. I had one out the front of my house and it seemed to slow a few cars down. Since we have a police watch house up the road and the cops don't want to be caught on camera speeding for no reason, they used to turn their lights and sirens on just to pass it until they removed it altogether.

1709591165121.png

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
We have the slow for Sam speed detectors here where you don't get fined. I had one out the front of my house and it seemed to slow a few cars down. Since we have a police watch house up the road and the cops don't want to be caught on camera speeding for no reason, they used to turn their lights and sirens on just to pass it until they removed it altogether.

View attachment 407558
If you go fast enough the sad face becomes an angry face.

Flow-Rider

Burner
That was a fuckup and a half, clipped the back of the slasher late last night. Tyres were fairly old so I'm going to replace all four even though they still had a bit of tread left.

20240307_140736.jpg

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
We've been trailer sitting a year or three for some friends after they moved back to suburbia. They would occasionally grab it for a day and drop it back and we were free to use it as well. Just a basic Chinese built 8x5 but fully galvanised and looks reasonable. I replaced the jockey wheel which had seen better minutes and put some grease and a new bearing in along the way. They decided they were going to deregister it because it wasn't used so we bought it off them a month ago on the same they can use it when they want... It has done a few trips up the coast and out to Kinkyroy with another couple planned. No spare so I went up to check what it was and read the tyre manufacture date. 4400 and 4800. What? Trailer is about 12 or 13 years old. Wheels and tyres were obviously fitted in bulk and left lying around to be used when needed. Holy crap. So it is getting nice new Kumhos this afternoon. Very very lucky given Chinese tyres from last century were not know for their greatness.

Flow-Rider

Burner
We've been trailer sitting a year or three for some friends after they moved back to suburbia. They would occasionally grab it for a day and drop it back and we were free to use it as well. Just a basic Chinese built 8x5 but fully galvanised and looks reasonable. I replaced the jockey wheel which had seen better minutes and put some grease and a new bearing in along the way. They decided they were going to deregister it because it wasn't used so we bought it off them a month ago on the same they can use it when they want... It has done a few trips up the coast and out to Kinkyroy with another couple planned. No spare so I went up to check what it was and read the tyre manufacture date. 4400 and 4800. What? Trailer is about 12 or 13 years old. Wheels and tyres were obviously fitted in bulk and left lying around to be used when needed. Holy crap. So it is getting nice new Kumhos this afternoon. Very very lucky given Chinese tyres from last century were not know for their greatness.
I put some Kumhos AT 52s on today, Mycar are having a sale, it was just under 700 fitted for all 4, 31 x 10s.

Can't complain about the old Bridgestone desert duellers, about 13 years old and done 130K, and still had a bit of tread left too. I don't plan on keeping the car for another 10 years so just opted for the cheaper set of tyres. I think the newer Bridgestones are made in China or somewhere in the Asian region these days.

Mechanics, the filthy buggers left their hand marks everywhere.

20240311_133350.jpg

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I have spent over 6 hours on the highway driving in the rain these last two days. It has made me realise I am doing the car thing all wrong. The fastest class of vehicle in the hissing down rain is dual cab utes. Preferably unladen but if you need to cart anything attach a dual axle pig trailer. No need to worry about standing water, driving rain, indicators, acting like a human. Etc. And the pick of the crop? The Ranger Raptor. Bespoke Fox suspension, obviously hand grooved wets, the driving skills of Hannu Mikkola. And some magic to keep the driving rain off the windscreen.