Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I have spent over 6 hours on the highway driving in the rain these last two days. It has made me realise I am doing the car thing all wrong. The fastest class of vehicle in the hissing down rain is dual cab utes. Preferably unladen but if you need to cart anything attach a dual axle pig trailer. No need to worry about standing water, driving rain, indicators, acting like a human. Etc. And the pick of the crop? The Ranger Raptor. Bespoke Fox suspension, obviously hand grooved wets, the driving skills of Hannu Mikkola. And some magic to keep the driving rain off the windscreen.
To be fair most of my raised 4WD style vehicle experience is in 70 series which are not exactly optimised for on road use, but have spent enough hours piloting hiluxes and old prados etc to know I fucking hate these things as a road car. You can feel just how tenuous their relationship is with traction and stability on anything vaguely resembling a corner.

Watching the Ranger bros pelt these things into corners full tilt you just know how close to the ragged edge they are. Modern electronics are a problem in that they hide physics to a point and you may not realise how close to the limit you are until you find it suddenly in a terminal fashion… Brain dead operators don’t help.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
To be fair most of my raised 4WD style vehicle experience is in 70 series which are not exactly optimised for on road use, but have spent enough hours piloting hiluxes and old prados etc to know I fucking hate these things as a road car. You can feel just how tenuous their relationship is with traction and stability on anything vaguely resembling a corner.

Watching the Ranger bros pelt these things into corners full tilt you just know how close to the ragged edge they are. Modern electronics are a problem in that they hide physics to a point and you may not realise how close to the limit you are until you find it suddenly in a terminal fashion… Brain dead operators don’t help.
I see your 70 series and raise you with a Holden Rodeo RA series 2003-2008 which is actually an Isuzu, with desert dueler tyres about the same vintage as Dales trailer’s. Unloaded the weight distribution is bad, the 3.6 is very eager and traction control/stability was all but a wet dream for Isuzu back then.

Ranger, Ranger Raptor, F150 and F150 Raptor (150 Raptor not imported by Ford Australia) share the same rear diff. It’s a fully open diff with electronic locking control.

Traction control/stability control can only lock the rear diff up to 45km/h, to save clutch plate life. Luckily when not in 4L, the traction/stability control when turned off, isn’t truely off, get it sideways and it will engage because even the wide tracked, heave as fuck, stiffly sprung but high centre of gravity Ranger Raptor is ~2400kg and the laws of physics cannot be broken.

All of the tech masks the underlying fundamentals, allowing a fuckwit to take it very close to the edge without knowing it.

Last edited:

Haakon

I see your 70 series and raise you with a Holden Rodeo RA series 2003-2008 which is actually an Isuzu, with desert dueler tyres about the same vintage as Dales trailer’s. Unloaded the weight distribution is bad, the 3.6 is very eager and traction control/stability was all but a wet dream for Isuzu back then.

Ranger, Ranger Raptor, F150 and F150 Raptor (150 Raptor not imported by Ford Australia) share the same rear diff. It’s a fully open diff with electronic locking control.

Traction control/stability control can only lock the rear diff up to 45km/h, to save clutch plate life. Luckily when not in 4L, the traction/stability control when turned off, isn’t truely off, get it sideways and it will engage because even the wide tracked, heave as fuck, stiffly sprung but high centre of gravity Ranger Raptor is ~2400kg and the laws of physics cannot be broken.

All of the tech masks the underlying fundamentals, allowing a fuckwit to take it very close to the edge without knowing it.
And hence ensuring that it when it goes pear shaped, it does so spectacularly....

Haakon

Pulled up at Bunnigns this morning in the Alfa with the trailer on to collect some long timber, parked next to a bloke in an old Integra loading paving stones into the back.

Who needs utes? :)

Haakon

Bunnings hire utes. I have ridden my bike to Bunnings, hired a ute and taken my bike and timber home.
Easier to just take the trailer. Trailer also has a nice low load floor - getting the material lifting thing I rented up onto a ute tray, especially the modern 4wd ones, would have been impossible on my own!

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub

I'll raise your Holden Rodeo with a 1990 Toyota Hilux Extra cab 2WD!!
I was so light in the rear end, that in the wet when leaving an intersection, it was a struggle not to spin the wheels. Hill starts in the wet were particularly tricky. o_O

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
See also late 1980s Ford Courier; badge engineered Mazda with a Mitsubishi Astron II engine in what's probably one of the weirder examples of tariff dodging attempts to up local production content (or something) at the time. Unladen would light up the rears on any form of unsealed surface. Only crashed it lightly once. Dad (it was his) was sympathetic given he knew how lively the handling could be.

Was ultimately replaced with a Hilux which was immeasurably better despite handling like a paddle steamer.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I can get up to about 1.8 meters in through the ski hatch and resting on the centre console - longer I need the trailer as the Alfa doesn’t have roof racks :)
I love how you make things really hard for yourself and then complain about it afterwards.

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk

Haakon

I love how you make things really hard for yourself and then complain about it afterwards.

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk
Who's complaining...? It all works quite nicely! The pass through ski port thingy is bloody genius and gets used a lot at bunnings :)

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On my way back from a site inspection today the ring road traffic was totally borked. When I got to the accident I was not surprised that a Ranger Raptor was involved, and with absolutely no other information I can say he/she/them/they/it was at fault. If there was a modded 79 Series involved they might need Sherlock Holmes, but truck vs Raptor is a no brainer.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
On my way back from a site inspection today the ring road traffic was totally borked. When I got to the accident I was not surprised that a Ranger Raptor was involved, and with absolutely no other information I can say he/she/them/they/it was at fault. If there was a modded 79 Series involved they might need Sherlock Holmes, but truck vs Raptor is a no brainer.
When the Prado got towed the tower told me his most common tow in the last two years has been raptors. Not because they have broken down but because they have been wrapped around, under and over inanimate objects.