Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

seventyseven

percent of Australians blame the bike for their cr
if it's got a hair dryer on it he'll be fine. otherwise he'll need some borla's.

my latest install:

11022011001.jpg

the car: is an MY03 impreza RS my father bought for me as my first car. had it since forever and can't bring myself to get rid of it because it's just so good day to day.

so i made it faster :D

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if it's got a hair dryer on it he'll be fine. otherwise he'll need some borla's.

my latest install:

View attachment 193952

the car: is an MY03 impreza RS my father bought for me as my first car. had it since forever and can't bring myself to get rid of it because it's just so good day to day.

so i made it faster :D
Interesting setup...how does it go? Is as quick/or quicker than a WRX?

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
... how longs a piece of string? what rex? stock?

straight up im going to say its going to be quicker....... way quicker haha

is that your car? ive heard about this before on rsliberty forums a while back someone talking about custom SC a ej25.. and being told it had been done before!

got any more pics? how have you ran the belt for it? super interested its pretty cool!

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt

is that your car? ive heard about this before on rsliberty forums a while back someone talking about custom SC a ej25.. and being told it had been done before!

got any more pics? how have you ran the belt for it? super interested its pretty cool!
Ok stock Rex of the same vintage, happy now? :p

I would be interested to know how much power it makes vs. stock turbo motor? Also whats the cost of fitting the s/c vs turbo engine conversion?

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Looking at getting an exhaust done on my lib, mainly to give it that throaty boxer sound. Don't want it to be too loud, just want it to give a bit of a note instead of having all engine noise and nothing from the exhaust, want it to kind of match up. I got a quote for a 2.5 inch cat back plus sports muffler with twin tips for about $350 ish. But Im worried that with 2.5 inch piping I'll lose back pressure and heaps of bottom end. So basically on the premise that trying to get power out of a 2 litre 4 cylinder is a lost cause, would replacing the piping from the diff back and just getting a new muffler and resonator give me a decent boxer rumble without sacrificing bottom end?
Has your lib got unequal or tuned length headers?

what year is it? ..

im takin it is a NA... 2.5inch dif back into a sports muffler... im still not savvy with the back pressure thing.. read so much about it, all conflicting about how it helps/doesnt help.. all i know is when i went from 3inch straight through (turbo to muffler), to a 3inch from turbo to a 2.5inch diff back to sti muffler on my turbo lib, i didnt notice any power drop/or gain.. just dulled the sound a bit, lost its super deep rumble, which is what i wanted to happen!

i suppose what i am getting at, i cant see how 2 1/4 to 2.5inch diff back is going to make much difference on a NA lib...

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
New Toys, now just need some rubbers

Just finished installing new valley gaskets and rebuilt carb. New radiator is half installed, waiting on new radiator hose. Getting radiator hose for a chevrolet in austalia is a collosal screw around.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sam.

Eats Squid
what year is it? ..

im takin it is a NA... 2.5inch dif back into a sports muffler... im still not savvy with the back pressure thing.. read so much about it, all conflicting about how it helps/doesnt help.. all i know is when i went from 3inch straight through (turbo to muffler), to a 3inch from turbo to a 2.5inch diff back to sti muffler on my turbo lib, i didnt notice any power drop/or gain.. just dulled the sound a bit, lost its super deep rumble, which is what i wanted to happen!

i suppose what i am getting at, i cant see how 2 1/4 to 2.5inch diff back is going to make much difference on a NA lib...
2001 gx, so yes N/A. As far as I know the gen 3s were the last of the libs with the unequal length headers so the borlas wont be totally necessary for the boxer rumble. Basically it has the boxer rumble to it as such now, just pretty quiet. Would that be down to the factory muffler? Im just trying to work out if it's worth replacing all the piping to the cat when all I want is a nicer note...

seventyseven

percent of Australians blame the bike for their cr

Ok stock Rex of the same vintage, happy now? :p

I would be interested to know how much power it makes vs. stock turbo motor? Also whats the cost of fitting the s/c vs turbo engine conversion?
Pretty sure it's NA.

Nice :D where's the kit from/what'd it cost you?
on power: the actual peak power is virtually the same as a wrx (160kw vs 165-170 on mine), however unlike on a wrx where it peaks at just under 6000 and then heads south, on this thing the harder you spin it the more boost you get. so the power peaks at about 5500... and then stays on.

168KW:300NM is my03 wrx
mine is about 170kw and 360nm of torque. the torque difference is quite large :D

however, those figures are without some of my basic little mods. i've smashed out my 2nd cat and gotten an STI exhaust from the cat back, so i'm making a little more over "stock" with SC kit. also have installed a lightweight pulley kit which makes a surprising difference. got a slightly smaller pulley (59 vs 61mm) going on soon as well so i'll be making even more power.

my car is also dramatically lighter than a wrx, i've pulled many a KG out of it (i'd guess there is over 100kg difference between them and that's being conservative. it's probably more like 140 once i weigh it all up) and i also don't have the shit heavy turbo manifold the wrx does so the front:rear balance is better to boot.

the kit is made by a company called "raptor superchargers" which are based in mackay. they make 350z, falcon, commodore, etc kits too. the site is simply www.raptorsuperchargers.com.au

tim (the owner) couldn't be a better guy to deal with. goes right out of his way to do anything you need him to. called me probably over a dozen times both before & during installation as well as on first startup and a couple days later to check in, as well as giving me some updated pointers on the kit and little tricks/tips etc (like throttle calibration before loading the map etc). the before, during & after sales service of this guy is unbelievable.

the cost vs a turbo engine conversion is about the same... but sticking a turbo motor in is a MASSIVE pain in the ass. a completely different wiring harness has to be installed and literally every single wire in the car needs to be spliced. you also need the turbo manifold and with it a new front swaybar as well. you then need to run the coolant/oil lines to the turbo and i think the radiators are bigger on the WRX's too. oh and did i mention the PITA top mount intercooler? this thing matches it for power WITHOUT one.

with this thing you've got 24 wires to do. that's it. you can knock the entire install over in an arvo, and you're left with an engine that is a 2.5 with 10:1 compression vs a 2.0 with 9.0:1 compression, and a linear boost curve. long story short, it's about 50x nicer to drive to work etc day to day.

Last edited:

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
Bought a 3SGE and booked my flights to Japan/Drift Matsuri, now to buy a missile yeeehaaaawwwwwww.

Rolla is coming along nice update tomorrow.

AndySTi

Likes Dirt
2001 gx, so yes N/A. As far as I know the gen 3s were the last of the libs with the unequal length headers so the borlas wont be totally necessary for the boxer rumble. Basically it has the boxer rumble to it as such now, just pretty quiet. Would that be down to the factory muffler? Im just trying to work out if it's worth replacing all the piping to the cat when all I want is a nicer note...
Honestly, since it is N/A, there is no point considering aftermarket headers. Not sure about the GenIII but in the GenIV, the factory piping is quite restrictive, particularly the muffler body. Since you're looking at replacing the stock system anyway, why don't you just get a custom muffler (get the largest muffler body which is practically possible to minimize drone) fabricated and then if you aren't still happy with the note, get the cat-back done? Check out forum.liberty.asn.au wealth of information there.

Sam.

Eats Squid
The quote I got for the catback included a custom muffler just as you mentioned to mnimize drone. After doing a bit more reading I think a 2.5 inch catback will be the best option with the custom muffler as was originally quoted. The smile on the guys face when I told him that there was no way he'd be putting a cannon on my car was priceless ha!

Norco Maniac

Is back!
the latest on Feargus - a ten-minute windscreen rubber replacement job has turned into a three-day epic of grinding, fill and paint due to the amount of rust we found under the seal - pics here

lucky i'd gone to a friend's partner's panel shed to do the job, he's just let me cut loose with the power tools :) hopefully i'll get the paint on today and the screens in tomorrow.

*EDIT - screens are in, five new pics added. the build has begun...now to make sure i can still drive it while i'm fiddling!

Last edited:

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
OK, time for an audio question. I currently have 2x 6.5 in kickers, 2x 6x9 behind rear headrest an a deck of reasonable quality. I intend to keep the deck, replace all speakers, add an amp and potentially add a sub, although I'm aiming for quality, not thud. The big issue, is I want a fairly stealth installation. Which rules out most speakers as they nearly all have a big shiny logo on the front, which to will look like hell in a 45year old car. It looks like my kicks are fairly thin so depth is also a slight concern.

Does anybody have any recommendations for speakers to use that
a) sound good
and
b) look subtle
And a suitable amp to match.

I'll import, so budget is $1000US to buy speakers, amp and maybe sub. And any insider tips on a home install? I've been reading around and it seams easy enough. Time to add more resomat!

norcorulz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its about time i put some input into this thread. Purchased a 2004 Evolution 8 (Aus Spec) in October. Im running a turbo back exhaust, fuel pump and a retune of the factory ECU. Running 203kw atw. Exterior wise i've added a carbon front lip and canards.

Next plan of mods are DBA4000 rotors, track pads, intake and vortex generator. Then its a FP green turbo, 1000cc injectors, dump pipe and tune on E85!!!!

Plans for the car is to just enjoy it on the weekends, occassional track day and then aim for getting the car rweady for Superlap in 2012.

Enough talk, time for pics!!

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
Awesome man, happy with it? Definitely chuck up all the E85 info once you've done it all!

Interesting gains people are getting and more and more are making the switch.

smiff123

Likes Dirt
I picked myself a little water cooled GLD the other day and this is it's story thus far.

Got it home and started to dismantle to see what the damage was.

The first thing I did was rub back the bonnet and prime that.

With that dont I took the front grill and bumber off to do the front panel.

There was quite a sizable dent in the front panel inbetween where the chin spoiler fits and where the bumper goes.
Not quite sure what im going to do about it but for now I just pushed it out so its fairly straight.

The interior is a perfect (apart from a cracked dash) brown cloth style one.

I was just wondering what the deal is with the mirror positioner. Is it a stock feature?

After finishing the front I took it down the road for a little photo shoot.

You're not gangsta' unless you have soot.

My plan for this car is to respray it a little darker silver (a bit closer to the graphite colour), lower it, chuck some nice rims on, clean up the engine a little and use it as a beach bus. Maybe sometime down the track chuck a new engine in it but im in no rush to do that.

Cheers, Smiff.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
The quote I got for the catback included a custom muffler just as you mentioned to mnimize drone. After doing a bit more reading I think a 2.5 inch catback will be the best option with the custom muffler as was originally quoted. The smile on the guys face when I told him that there was no way he'd be putting a cannon on my car was priceless ha!
Let us know how this goes. I'm after something very similar for the Forester but fear the system will drone excessively.

fairy1

Banned
OK, time for an audio question. I currently have 2x 6.5 in kickers, 2x 6x9 behind rear headrest an a deck of reasonable quality. I intend to keep the deck, replace all speakers, add an amp and potentially add a sub, although I'm aiming for quality, not thud. The big issue, is I want a fairly stealth installation. Which rules out most speakers as they nearly all have a big shiny logo on the front, which to will look like hell in a 45year old car. It looks like my kicks are fairly thin so depth is also a slight concern.

Does anybody have any recommendations for speakers to use that
a) sound good
and
b) look subtle
And a suitable amp to match.

I'll import, so budget is $1000US to buy speakers, amp and maybe sub. And any insider tips on a home install? I've been reading around and it seams easy enough. Time to add more resomat!
All the speakers will be visible, so you will have to run them grilles on?
I'd go one of these http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AA0457&keywords=response&form=KEYWORD amps, they are super efficient so they won't be too hard on your low output(?) alternator. Run the front speakers off two channels and bridge the others for the sub and run the rears off the deck.

Also if you use those MDF spacers in the doors it's a good idea to seal or paint them or they may crumble after a few drives in the wet. I'm not really sure on subtle looking speakers, usually the dearer they are the less blingy they look.

I know it may sound stupid but Kenwood were make some OK speakers, mine are still going strong after 5years. These- http://www.ryda.com.au/Kenwood-KFC-XS1720P-7-Component-Speakers-p/kfcxs1720p.htm are a solid price but I think the woofer is different to the one picced, soft dome tweeters or silk tweeters are the go on cheaper speakers.

Nice looking but maybe a bit deep- http://www.soundmaster.com.au/Pioneer-TS-D1720C-Speakers/TSD1720C.asp

Tips, ummm listen to as many speakers as possible, you may be able to scam some grilles you like at the shop you get the speakers from as the installer will probably have heaps left over.
This will sound stupid but if you solder in the car pass the power lead through the window, that way it won't get severed by a closing door, solder, don't crimp, try to keep the RCA's away from power and speaker wires and try to get efficient speakers.

If you have speakers that have 91db efficiency they will use half the power to put out the same volume as a speaker with 88db efficiency, also using a ported sub box will generally halve the amount of power used.

I will be installing some CDT three way splits soon, I got mine as B stock from the manufacturer- http://cdtaudio.com/shop/viewcategory.php?groupid=0 prices are great and the speakers are made in the US but you don't get grilles.