Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Question time

Plan is a bigger motor down the line, brakes are pretty dead on this thing. Dunno, after seeing the last one die because of brakes it's just sitting in the back of my mind I want good brakes on it.

We think it's a 1600. Not matching numbers and we've had two different vw guys tell us its a 1300 and a 1600. Not sure on revs just going by sound, I'll get some fuel in her and take a video this weekend. Completely stock otherwise, to our knowledge anyway. Engine was fixed up a few months back only to find this happening again which makes me think it's something to do with the throttle cable maybe? Worked fine then one day just won't rev.
Lets start narrowing down then ehhhh,
Q1. Is it a single port
Q2. Tell me the type and size of carb
Q3. What is the engine number.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Lets start narrowing down then ehhhh,
Q1. Is it a single port
Q2. Tell me the type and size of carb
Q3. What is the engine number.
Elvis is playing, coffee done and cigarette lit I'm good now. Will edit with info,

Q1 - Yup, single port. Plan is to buy another engine soon, might be a superbug motor going cheap to us through a mates old man who can't drive anymore and it's a write off, chuck that in and then rebuild the current one up to a nice ~1900cc

Last edited:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Right, single port
Engine number if it's the right thing - AD 510633
PICT-2 carb

no money for fuel to fill it so I'll post a video another day

AD engine says 71-72 1600 motor, that should pull alright with the vintage speed exhaust hopefully

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Bummer! Getting another project binner?

I have an update. I picked up this '62 bug with a 36hp engine in it as a project about a month ago. Lots of work in it. Right hand side of the pan is stuffed, thinking I'll have to cut the whole thing out and weld a new floor pan in on that side. Usual rust in the door pillars and heater channels, and above the spring plates.

What's left of the original paint has come up really well with a bit of steel wool, wet and dry sandpaper and a cut and polish and the patina looks great.

Plan is to rat it, lower it and drive it. Engine was apparently rebuilt 10 years ago and its been sitting in a paddock for 9 years. I'll see how the 36hp engine goes when I get through the rust and body work, and then decide whether to run it, or sell it and put in a 1500 single port.

Luco

Likes Dirt
Bummer! Getting another project binner?

I have an update. I picked up this '62 bug with a 36hp engine in it as a project about a month ago. Lots of work in it. Right hand side of the pan is stuffed, thinking I'll have to cut the whole thing out and weld a new floor pan in on that side. Usual rust in the door pillars and heater channels, and above the spring plates.

What's left of the original paint has come up really well with a bit of steel wool, wet and dry sandpaper and a cut and polish and the patina looks great.

Plan is to rat it, lower it and drive it. Engine was apparently rebuilt 10 years ago and its been sitting in a paddock for 9 years. I'll see how the 36hp engine goes when I get through the rust and body work, and then decide whether to run it, or sell it and put in a 1500 single port.

I'm no car buff, but how would 36hp get that thing moving? Seriously you'd have a bitch of time driving it right? My 125cc 2 stroke motorbike had similar power to that!

hazza6542

Eats Squid
I'm no car buff, but how would 36hp get that thing moving? Seriously you'd have a bitch of time driving it right? My 125cc 2 stroke motorbike had similar power to that!
800 kg ain't much, and you don't mind going slow in beetles, gives you more time to enjoy the drive

Luco

Likes Dirt
800 kg ain't much, and you don't mind going slow in beetles, gives you more time to enjoy the drive
Yeah was assuming the weight would be under a tonne. Yeah I know it's no muscle car, but thought they'd have a little more oomph, you know to take the shopping home or make it up the ramp to a carpark.

I'm intrigued, that engine is a typical beetle engine right? So it will sound like that classic beetle sound? Aren't they a porcshe engine or something?? Anyway, what gives them that unique tone? Exhaust? How many cyclinders are they??

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I always preferred the Renault 8/10 - France's answer the Beetle. Same ~800kg weight, rear engine and swing arms for that hilarious (i.e. fecking scary in the wet and/or if you got a bit over enthusiastic in cornering) rear engine go cart fun - but 4 wheel discs and coil springs, rack and pinion and a whopping 50hp :)

binner

Hath shat hymself
All kinds a build

Yeah was assuming the weight would be under a tonne. Yeah I know it's no muscle car, but thought they'd have a little more oomph, you know to take the shopping home or make it up the ramp to a carpark.

I'm intrigued, that engine is a typical beetle engine right? So it will sound like that classic beetle sound? Aren't they a porcshe engine or something?? Anyway, what gives them that unique tone? Exhaust? How many cyclinders are they??
Pee shooters is what makes the " classic sound" ( which I can't stand) they are an east west engine, air cooled and 4 cylinders. These days you can build a big engine with plenty of torque and plenty of power to weight.

I have a dual cab kombi ute with a worked 2027cc, dual webber 40 and some other nice stuff, it hauls ass. Just the other nite I pulled off a triton V6 ute at the lights , wanker shotgun dude in the triton was piss drunk mouthing off at me at the lights talking shit so I decided to put thing right and really fucked them over ..... He thought he had but was fucked over well n good :dance::dance:

MARKL

Eats Squid

They are a boxer engine or 'flat' engine as compared to an inline or 'v' style engine. The firing order is different to an inline or 'v' engine and that's what give you that sound.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Pretty sure a modified VW engine was the first 4 cylinder to break into the 10seconds down the quarter mile in the USA. They used to bomb the fuck out of them things in the 80s, stroker kits and all.

Luco

Likes Dirt
I always preferred the Renault 8/10 - France's answer the Beetle. Same ~800kg weight, rear engine and swing arms for that hilarious (i.e. fecking scary in the wet and/or if you got a bit over enthusiastic in cornering) rear engine go cart fun - but 4 wheel discs and coil springs, rack and pinion and a whopping 50hp :)
Now we're talking! Raw power ;) I believe beetles used to roll a lot if hooking into corners too eagerly? My dad used to say they would call them 'hitlers revenge'...

Pee shooters is what makes the " classic sound" ( which I can't stand) they are an east west engine, air cooled and 4 cylinders. These days you can build a big engine with plenty of torque and plenty of power to weight.

I have a dual cab kombi ute with a worked 2027cc, dual webber 40 and some other nice stuff, it hauls ass. Just the other nite I pulled off a triton V6 ute at the lights , wanker shotgun dude in the triton was piss drunk mouthing off at me at the lights talking shit so I decided to put thing right and really fucked them over ..... He thought he had but was fucked over well n good :dance::dance:
Yeah can't say I'm a massive fan of that bubble and fart sound or however you could describe it. By East west engine do you mean the cylinders run horizontally? Like a bmw motorcycle engine?
Seen your kombi, looks nice. Impressive power to give a modern v6 a run! How many hp's do you think your running?

They are a boxer engine or 'flat' engine as compared to an inline or 'v' style engine. The firing order is different to an inline or 'v' engine and that's what give you that sound.
Boxer engine - Subaru use this format too?

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Subaru do, yup. I'll post a video of my beetle with the fatter exhaust, makes the neighbours blown gtho sound quiet.

Educate me. Boxxer rumble something to do with unequal headers?

redbruce

Eats Squid
they are an east west engine
North South. Crankshaft is in line with longitudinal axis of car (like Subaru).

East West has crank aligned across car (like FWD Camry).
Educate me. Boxxer rumble something to do with unequal headers?
Classic WRX beat exhaust note is due to unequal length headers, not boxer layout (just makes unequal length headers easier to fit).

Subies with equal length (eg Liberty) have a more traditional in line 4 sound.

Also, more importantly, it's what's in the berlinetta boxer.
The flat 12 cylinder is not a boxer (two opposing pistons share same crank pin), effectively two 6 cyl engines sharing same crankshaft and with a raise the hair on the back of your neck note.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
North South. Crankshaft is in line with longitudinal axis of car (like Commodore).

East West has crank aligned across car (like FWD Camry)..
A Beetle is actually a South-North engine, the 'Boxer' engine is so called because the movement of the engine's pistons resemble the movement of a boxer's fists in the horizontal plane. "Horizontal opposed" means when the cylinders are in the flat position side by side and fire in the opposite direction

VW.JPG

Last edited:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
[video=youtube;5Fbtp4Ihk64]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fbtp4Ihk64[/video]

This is pretty much exactly how mine sounds, stocker 1600, will slowly work on that to get a bit more grunt, not as dak dak as before sounds a lot nicer me thinks.