Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Ohhh the samba is your friend. Every time you Google something click show more option from the samba and you'll find the answer to any question. Keep her stock, maybe a trick engine and brakes, stuff nobody else can see

Still waiting to here back from my mechanic, narrow and slammed on the way elbo. Whole door assembly is now working and sealed except for a fucked quarter vent. Will replace. Taking to the paint with paint stripper this week, will see how it goes with industrial stripper, takes longer so hopefully I can scrape it off before it hits the of paint. Any suggestions? Grafit remover didn't do shit.

Last edited:

binner

Hath shat hymself
he got A I R

Ohhh the samba is your friend. Every time you Google something click show more option from the samba and you'll find the answer to any question. Keep her stock, maybe a trick engine and brakes, stuff nobody else can see

Still waiting to here back from my mechanic, narrow and slammed on the way elbo. Whole door assembly is now working and sealed except for a fucked quarter vent. Will replace. Taking to the paint with paint stripper this week, will see how it goes with industrial stripper, takes longer so hopefully I can scrape it off before it hits the of paint. Any suggestions? Grafit remover didn't do shit.
orbital air sander with 80 grit... depending on how much paint you want to take off, paint stripper is yuck!

zapzap

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just got the word that an International Harvester Scout is now mine. Not sure what year, somewhere between '60-'65. Condition is not too much worse than this internet photo I found, just need to get some rust cut out of a few corners. It's been sitting covered under a shearing shed for the past 15 years, used <6 times a year as a hunting vehicle. Farm finds eh! :dance:

Scout 80 1961 side exter.jpg

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
That's fucking awesome. Is it an easy fit?
You also have a lot going on. I see V8 heads, a boat, a mtb and a gym all in your shed. How do you find the time?

mapua

Likes Bikes
Haha I don't really find the time, that's why there's so much shit piled up in my shed. Heads are for the boat that I will hopefully find time to put back together over Easter break.

KTM conversion is relatively simple. Had to cut and re-weld one engine mount, drill out the cases where the swing arm bolt goes through and a few other minor things. Giving the engine a freshen up at the moment. Hope to have it running in the next few weeks.

Also trying to find the time and $$$ to build and ride an MTB at the moment...

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
My toy:

1970 Morris Mini "K" 1100, tweaked so it's something of a pseudo-Cooper S. :smile:

And yes, that is my commuter bike stuffed in the back!:biggrin1:
Kinda stalled on doing anything with this for a while, but been having a bit of a tweak here & there, mainly doing brake work. When I got the car it had 7.5" Cooper S discs up front, with no vacuum booster. First upgrade I did was to fit said booster...

Before:

After:

Then I replaced the 7.5" solid discs & two-pot calipers with 8.4" vented rotors & four-pot calipers. Had to replace the front lines as well when I did this 'cos the old ones broke undoing the ends.....

Rear brake cylinders have seized, so they need replacing too now.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Kinda stalled on doing anything with this for a while, but been having a bit of a tweak here & there, mainly doing brake work. When I got the car it had 7.5" Cooper S discs up front, with no vacuum booster. First upgrade I did was to fit said booster...

Before:

After:

Then I replaced the 7.5" solid discs & two-pot calipers with 8.4" vented rotors & four-pot calipers. Had to replace the front lines as well when I did this 'cos the old ones broke undoing the ends.....

Rear brake cylinders have seized, so they need replacing too now.

Geebus man!...they are some fucking huge calipers !!... That's a stop on a dime shit right there......

hazza6542

Eats Squid
$2500 quote for body work on the vw. Puts me out half the budget but then it's smooth sailing to rego. Still, who knows what other bits they'll find. The guy seems good but real persistent on getting rid of all the rust and I want her rusty and ratty and shit but good underneath. Some inspiration

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Bringing all my subaru problems here

So far, got headlights and tail lights working with auto electrician then they fucked out again. Just had a play them now and got parkers all working by bypassing the parking light rocker switch (subaru's turn lights off when key is removed, switch keeps parkers on without key AKA battery killswitch..),

Forgot to put headlight relays back in, chucked em in, headlights flashed on then died after flickering a bit. Swapped out one relay for the horn relay and didn't do anything this time.

There is a relay I can't remove for the life of me up in the guts of the dash that I could feel ticking earlier, no longer ticks after headlights flickered and died.

Need car to go riding this weekend, will be driving home at night, refuse to get in car with mate on his p's.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is there any way to repair a split radiator hose? Damaged where it connects. I'd say I have to cut about 4 inches to get rid of the damage. I can't reconnect the same pipe because that makes it to short. Long shot. I'll probably just replace it, but damn it is in a very crappy spot.

stirk

Burner
Is there any way to repair a split radiator hose? Damaged where it connects. I'd say I have to cut about 4 inches to get rid of the damage. I can't reconnect the same pipe because that makes it to short. Long shot. I'll probably just replace it, but damn it is in a very crappy spot.
Yeah, with a new one.

Thank you captain obvious.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Slash n burn

Radiator tape will work, but only temporary.... Depending on the size of the slash obviously but really should be renewed. I have air cooled vehicles so no water pipes for me :heh:

didly86

Likes Dirt
Project 380 Hybrid

Putting the motor from this

Into this

To create this 2011 380 2 stroke Hybrid
Man that is a sweet bike . Perfect for sand and wide open spaces , here's my 08 450sxf , Its older but it's well setup for me , it's got aftermarket or Ktm powerparts every thing .

didly86

Likes Dirt
Projects section . Well you might say I have a few projects , Some driving , others not , some with out wheels that float .

Ones with wheels .

My xg ute with xe front .
Purchased as a daily driver off a freind , this car had been the most reliable best tow car ever and it was just sitting around doing nothing so I brought it . I modified it to suit me a bit more and it Continued to be a very reliable tow car for me but towards the end , 500,000ks on one bottom end I decided it needed a break .

So new engine , 5 speed conversion is currently under way .

Engine is a fully rebuild hi performance engine , ten hours cylinder head porting , 10.2 compression , 217@50 cam . So let's say "not stock " .

Also my girl friends 1974 vw bettle. , it's done massive ks and very tired and it's due to become the next project when my new house is finished , I love driving this thing but so it stays left alone for now and only taken out for short weekend trips .

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Might be picking up another beetle soon, 70 1600. Haven't seen it, mates folks own it and going through some financial worry. Could be giving it away for a couple grand. Still trying to build one beetle but thinking drive this one till the rat is built, then swap motors for the 1600 and rebuild the 1300 up to a 19XXcc and then put that back in the rat. Same colour as our old '72, still got the seats and gauges, bring the old girl back. That's the one car I really do miss having around. Used to sit out the front after the front end was crushed in, would have a cigarette in it when we got home.