Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
I had a Forester diesel also, mind blowingly good on fuel and i can attest to their incredible build and saftey rating. Lets just say if someone was to run a stop sign at a crossroad while your cruising along on the main rd at 100kmh and you freaking poleaxed them with a perfect tboning you'll walk away without a scratch, you'll be freaking sore but fine.

Id love another one someday!

Travis.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Looks nice comes with the price tag to match!

You can get stuff for 60 series easier than I can and easier than an old beetle I'd imagine.
But that interior, it's perfect. I need a car with 'turbo' upholstered onto my seats, I reckon it'd blow away anything Na at the drags...

Ha, funnily enough if I had the funds I could source and build a beetle to showroom spec with every part brand new from one website. Super easy to find parts, I reckon a full resto wouldn't be too hard, just very $$$. Trying to make the old parts work like new, that's the challenge. Bit of fun today, turning my one speed wiper switch into something new today, instead of a plunger button releasing a valve for the water to flow through into the washer jet, I've ripped it apart and I'll install a microswitch into it and make it something else, engine start button or something else that would run off a temporary switch (stuff like horns, flashing etc).

Fun little discovery, vanilla coke lids are almost a perfect colour match with Ivory buttons, you'll see where it's going later.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
No, driving pretty normally, that's averaging approx.~80kmh - in Sydney. And so what if I were "driving for economy big-time", its still a great number.:wave:

Admittedly I was driving from Blackheath in the Blue Mountains to home in Baulkham Hills. So that's downhill for about half the drive. Which means a decent amount of coasting not touching the accelerator.

Most cars will get good economy around 80kmh, next you will turn the engine off while coasting down hills.

Flow-Rider

Burner
You are hoarding like me while you can cheaply!.
I grabbed it for $800 about 10 years ago, 1st gen 2Lte and came with a spare 2nd gen 2lte motor that's in my brothers shed. I've used the gearbox, starter, alternator, front diff and rear tail shaft out of it so far.

20160701_144347.jpg
20160701_144423.jpg

hazza6542

Eats Squid
You need this, if I had the room I would grab it.

View attachment 330000
I've seen that, I like the wheels but maybe a bit over the top for me. I'd like some a little smaller but it's bloody nice. No fun buying something already finished though.

Happy with this. Old ripped apart, rebuilt and now I've got a switch that works really nicely.

How it used to be

And now

hazza6542

Eats Squid

Radio arrived and assembled. Can't put it in until the wipers are rebuilt and installed but it looks the business. Bullet indicators arrived as well but that's gunna be an entire weekend of cutting perfect holes and some very accurate welding. Will need a lot of beers.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Moar goodness, radio is in, wipers are rebuilt, in and working, glove box is getting cut to fit an interior light now and interior is almost ready to be finished. Picked up a dash grill, it's the right ruby red but painted over with black. Razor blade and light paint stripper and we should be going.

scblack

Leucocholic
Most cars will get good economy around 80kmh, next you will turn the engine off while coasting down hills.
Many years ago, when I was quite young, I would put the car in neutral down some hills, to try to save fuel.

Be bloody dangerous to turn the engine off - no steering or braking hydraulics.....

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Many years ago, when I was quite young, I would put the car in neutral down some hills, to try to save fuel.
Unless it was an old engine without cutoff I don't believe that saves anything. The car has to keep injecting to keep the engine turning over, whereas it can completely shut fuel supply under engine braking.

scblack

Leucocholic
Unless it was an old engine without cutoff I don't believe that saves anything. The car has to keep injecting to keep the engine turning over, whereas it can completely shut fuel supply under engine braking.
Probably right. Back then it was a 1978 Datsun Stanza, carburettor motor. I really only did it when I was a poverty stricken uni student.

Its also an unsafe driving practice, in case anything happens.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Probably right. Back then it was a 1978 Datsun Stanza, carburettor motor. I really only did it when I was a poverty stricken uni student.

Its also an unsafe driving practice, in case anything happens.
You sound like a bloke I went to school with, he had a Datsun Bluebird and used to turn the engine off down big hills and not brake. Well, one day the inevitable happened and the cops got him on the speed gun :doh:

stirk

Burner

Be bloody dangerous to turn the engine off - no steering or braking hydraulics.....
I do this sometimes but not for saving fuel, only to go faster than 100kph in the 110 freeways without revving the tits off the engine, coasting downhill is like a turbo on the old girl!

binner

Hath shat hymself
almost complete

took my new build camping for a weekend, still got interior to finish and a few other little things..... but I'm pretty stoked on fitout

Attachments

hazza6542

Eats Squid
took my new build camping for a weekend, still got interior to finish and a few other little things..... but I'm pretty stoked on fitout
Dude that's awesome! Paint looks sweet, what's the plans for interior?

Haven't gotten a huge amount done, fixed a normal interior light into the glove box and got it running off a switch where a rubber bump stop was for the glove box door so it's automatic now. Dash light was barely showing through, rather than led bulbs an amber led strip.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn

I usually average about 7.5L/100km on the highway in my 91 Mk2 GTI, but coming down the Blue Mountains back to Sydney I regularly get down to 4.5-5L/100km. Combination of engine braking and neutral the whole way. Feels good man :biggrin1:

velolove

Likes Dirt
I hope this is car related enough. I've decided that I want to build my own slide on camper. It will hopefully look a bit like this

[video=youtube;nd1zn3lPvcY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd1zn3lPvcY[/video]

I have started to build it last weekend and have got a bit done so far and I have made a little blog with more details...