Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

stirk

Burner
I'd probably not give up a nut, but would probably step over a corpse of my making for one of the factory remanufactured 240Z that Nissan made in the US in the 90's...
Why wouldn't you give up a nut? Clearly you have no plans to use either of them. :heh:

Strike while the iron is hot before the missus changes her mind or adds some concession to the deal?
I suspect wifey wants me to spend time in the shed instead of annoying her!

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Giving up a nut just sounds painful...

Met a bloke in Canberra the other day with a totally stock original 1600 - he had bought it new!!!

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I picked up a clean z650, that happened quickly!!
Looks great, well done.

Reminds me of being 15 and on the back on my friends cousins one where it hit naughty speeds and my tears from the warp speed rolled around to the back of my neck. Scared the hell out of me but fun at the same time.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Haakon

You have too many toys I think. That will be fun and I'd love to give it a gentle Sunday morning drive.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
Too many toys. Hmmm. I understand each of those words individually, but don't really know what you mean...

Haakon

Am hoping this is as described when I get to see it... But if so it should be fun.

Poopers. It was pretty trashed with big sections resprayed and generally poorly looked after.

Very disappointed and I passed on it...

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If they haven't looked after the outside, they won't have looked after the mech. On a Renault that's a time bomb.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yep...

Had to fly down to vic as the it shat itself again, it's going to be a shitfugjt claiming the airfares from FCA...
I think they might all come out of the same factory these days, I've just seen a video turn up on farcebook of a 2018 BMW engine totally built from the start to finish in a Chinese factory. I'm *assuming* they are paying more attention to the QC on the higher end stuff.

Haakon

A nice new factory with a reputation to beat, I guarantee the Chinese beemer factory will be turning out top notch stuff.

I'll be steering clear of any FCA product though in the future. I'd still buy an old Alfa as a toy, but as a new and modern daily driver they're not up to scratch. Which is a shame... it's such a nice car.

The new Fiat got it right - Jap chassis tuned by the Italians and fitted with an Italian engine and built in Japan. Perfect.

Flow-Rider

Burner
A nice new factory with a reputation to beat, I guarantee the Chinese beemer factory will be turning out top notch stuff.

I'll be steering clear of any FCA product though in the future. I'd still buy an old Alfa as a toy, but as a new and modern daily driver they're not up to scratch. Which is a shame... it's such a nice car.

The new Fiat got it right - Jap chassis tuned by the Italians and fitted with an Italian engine and built in Japan. Perfect.
You might have bought a Friday built Alfa.

One thing I found with European cars in Australia is that a lot of mechanics don't know how to work on them and it's them that fuck things up. Knowing the special procedures and having the right tools makes a big difference.

I was in a shop years ago and a bloke done a timing belt on a 928S and within about 4 weeks it came back with a jumped belt. I'd done one years before and the senior mechanic that I worked with at the time (German) told me never to replace one without doing the cam and oil pump gears because they're made from a light Magnesium and they wear out quick with the tensioner system they have. I did tell the bloke but the gears cost a fortune and he thought he knew better.

Last edited:

Haakon

That's my experience with European cars. Every one I've bought second hand has had stuff I've had to rectify, damage inflicted by lazy/uncaring/ignorant/incompetent "mechanics". Euro stuff is generally easy to work on and perfectly logical - if you know what you're looking at....

I'm thinking the second oil leak on the Alfa might have something to do with first installation of the transmission part. But who knows. It is what I bought a new one - less chance of it being fucked with. That didn't last long... :(

Flow-Rider

Burner
That's my experience with European cars. Every one I've bought second hand has had stuff I've had to rectify, damage inflicted by lazy/uncaring/ignorant/incompetent "mechanics". Euro stuff is generally easy to work on and perfectly logical - if you know what you're looking at....

I'm thinking the second oil leak on the Alfa might have something to do with first installation of the transmission part. But who knows. It is what I bought a new one - less chance of it being fucked with. That didn't last long... :(
I've never even looked under a late model Alfa but it might be worth giving it a clean yourself and seeing where the leak starts from.

Haakon

It's an O Ring according to the dealer. Where and what o ring of course I'll never know... I don't enjoy being told half the story and "mechanics" don't like thinking I know as much about cars as they do and prefer to keep their superiority complex intact. It's annoying.

FCA still seem to think all this transmission trouble, mystery and unsolved steering creak and the fucking body not welded properly (!!!!) is not a major fault and not worthy of a refund. There is a reason the ACCC went after these ctuns.

Flow-Rider

Burner
It's an O Ring according to the dealer. Where and what o ring of course I'll never know... I don't enjoy being told half the story and "mechanics" don't like thinking I know as much about cars as they do and prefer to keep their superiority complex intact. It's annoying.

FCA still seem to think all this transmission trouble, mystery and unsolved steering creak and the fucking body not welded properly (!!!!) is not a major fault and not worthy of a refund. There is a reason the ACCC went after these ctuns.
I always try to put it back onto them in writing, turn it into a safety issue.

Something like your wife drives late at night and you don't want the car to break down and fear for her safety and or the creak may be a serious safety issue like a steering component about to fail because no one can prove where it's coming from. If they say it's not a safety related issue ask for them to supply a signed statement to say that.

Haakon

Megane was a bust, but my brother let me have a go in his new toy. Most entertaining :)

This is the sort of used car I was hoping the Megane was - it's got 60K kms on it and is mint. Engine bay looks brand new and there's not a mark on the whole thing.

Big roundabouts, second gear and the right pedal are fun too....

Last edited:

Plow King

Little bit.
Long time no post. I was actually looking for the f1 thread but stumbled upon this. In case anyone happens to like Subarus. This is my current one. There is bugger all that is stock on it anymore.

2006 STI

Haltech 2500 ECU
ADM EJ207 Bottom end
JDM big port heads
ARP head studs
ID1000S (currently maxed)
Walbro 460 currently. Soon to be a surge tank set up.
Blouch 20g XTR Turbo.
MY16 STI I/C
Widebody Kit
MCA XR coilovers
Wedsport SA-15R wheels
AD08RS.

Coming soon...

Half cage
Wide tyres.
Id1300s
Hopefully not another engine.

Sent from my SM-N9100 using Tapatalk