Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
The LS engines are a very decent bit of kit. Power to size/weight ratio is excellent, those 2 valve pushrod heads make for a very compact engine - so it’s easy to fit in places you wouldn’t think 5.7-6.2 litres of V8 would go... Plus they’re cheap as chips to buy, and even decent for a brand new crate engine from GM.
Oh 100%. Plus they're pretty cheap to get stupid amounts of power out of them. If I wasn't such a romantic I'd be lining one up for the engine bay of the Kingswood.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Supercharged LT4 Vantage - better packaging than the weedy OEM engine:
Yeah, weedy as...

The Vantage uses Mercedes-AMG's M177 4.0-litre twin-turbocharged V8 engine that has a power output of 510 PS (375 kW; 503 hp) and 505 lb⋅ft (685 N⋅m) of torque

Couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding that.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Yeah, weedy as...

The Vantage uses Mercedes-AMG's M177 4.0-litre twin-turbocharged V8 engine that has a power output of 510 PS (375 kW; 503 hp) and 505 lb⋅ft (685 N⋅m) of torque

Couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding that.
You need to know your Vantages. The one above had a weedy NA 4.3l V8, even the later 4.7l V8 wasn't special.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I know a guy in wa ls'ing a sereis 4 928s. Initially it was an ls1 but ultimately a worked lsa was fitted down the track. Fitted the ls1 after doing all tye conversion bits and when it was dropped on the ground it looked like a 4wd 928 the front was so high. LS1 was about 60kg lighte from memory. Anyway all sorted and it was a good thing. Half a MW and 1350 odd kg...

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I know a guy in wa ls'ing a sereis 4 928s. Initially it was an ls1 but ultimately a worked lsa was fitted down the track. Fitted the ls1 after doing all tye conversion bits and when it was dropped on the ground it looked like a 4wd 928 the front was so high. LS1 was about 60kg lighte from memory. Anyway all sorted and it was a good thing. Half a MW and 1350 odd kg...
The 928s were the ones with the V8 in front? That makes sense.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
Why should I "tell that to Driftworks" then? You seem oddly protective about an opinion on a motor series.

Doesn't scratch my itch, might do for others.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
No one denies the ls is a dinosaur but for the $, the kg and the size it packs a serious punch and it is so easy to make silly power levels. My lsa would always bring a smile to my face, it was only 500kW but they are that good. An efficient technical tour de force they arent. However ls's have saved and given a new lease of life to many old beasts.

At least they arent like the old lump of eutectic iron that these and fords used to be.

Let's not talk about fuel usage on the supercharged ones....

link1896

Mr Greenfield
No one denies the ls is a dinosaur but for the $, the kg and the size it packs a serious punch and it is so easy to make silly power levels. My lsa would always bring a smile to my face, it was only 500kW but they are that good. An efficient technical tour de force they arent. However ls's have saved and given a new lease of life to many old beasts.

At least they arent like the old lump of eutectic iron that these and fords used to be.

Let's not talk about fuel usage on the supercharged ones....
I almost bought a supercharged redline VE wagon in white.

Scary fast.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
. An efficient technical tour de force they arent.
That’s not strictly true I think - they are pretty remarkable in many ways that are pretty high tech. A lot of the metallurgy and engineering that went into them was cutting edge at the time, and they are very very well designed. It’s probably about the only thing GM ever got right!

The heads flow really well, friction and pumping losses are remarkably low for a large 8 cylinder.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
That’s not strictly true I think - they are pretty remarkable in many ways that are pretty high tech. A lot of the metallurgy and engineering that went into them was cutting edge at the time, and they are very very well designed. It’s probably about the only thing GM ever got right!

The heads flow really well, friction and pumping losses are remarkably low for a large 8 cylinder.
Not saying they arent good engineering and remarkable for a pushrod engine. I could easily record 8l/100km country driving with the ls3, a significant improvement over the ls2. The lsa couldnt get under 10s and that is down to 40 or 50hp driving the supercharger all the time. BMEP isnt great compared to a vvt decent engine, and there are a few around. Thus the limitation imposed by one cam fits all.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Not saying they arent good engineering and remarkable for a pushrod engine. I could easily record 8l/100km country driving with the ls3, a significant improvement over the ls2. The lsa couldnt get under 10s and that is down to 40 or 50hp driving the supercharger all the time. BMEP isnt great compared to a vvt decent engine, and there are a few around. Thus the limitation imposed by one cam fits all.
As a long term petrol head, I’m slightly embarrassed I had to google BMEP...

glenn1529

Likes Dirt
The whole porsche vs LS conversation counts for nothing, different people are after different outcomes and experiences.
one person may be heard to say things like “lift off oversteer” and “brake balance”. Another will say things like “Smoked him at the lights” and “she threw up in the back seat”
One may describe a great drive as “Stelvio Pass, surrounded by snow” the other “Maccas carpark, surrounded by chicks”
Not saying one’s preference is better than the other, it’s just that different people are looking for different things.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The whole porsche vs LS conversation counts for nothing, different people are after different outcomes and experiences.
one person may be heard to say things like “lift off oversteer” and “brake balance”. Another will say things like “Smoked him at the lights” and “she threw up in the back seat”
One may describe a great drive as “Stelvio Pass, surrounded by snow” the other “Maccas carpark, surrounded by chicks”
Not saying one’s preference is better than the other, it’s just that different people are looking for different things.
And some people get face and neck tattoos and some don't. It's all ok. Unless the face is Rihanas and the neck is Chris Browns...

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I think I would agree if I had the faintest idea of what you wrote. The ls conversions in a 911 are tricky because lower weight yes but it sticks out further behind.