Proper road bike?

I have been thinking about getting into road biking for fitness but I also want a bike that is pretty easy and fun to ride around to get places. Not sure if fixies can be used for this purpose or even a single speed. I love the idea of a fixie but would probably like the idea of gears more when riding up hills...
Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Road bikes are a blast to ride on the road; it's just the traffic you have to watch out for!!! They can be had quite cheap second hard as too many people buy them and just leave them in the shed.

In terms of riding for fitness, a HRM will also aid your caper as you can ride to specific zones to target specific areas of fitness.

disappearin

Likes Dirt
In my opinion a cyclocross bike is perfect for training/fun. You can take it offroad if you feel the need but it is capable on road. I generally run road slicks on mine (25 or 28c) and take the odd dirt road or dirt shortcut without dramas. The only downside to a cx bike is they are a little heavier and with the standard gearing you may spin out on the road on occasion. For training for mtb racing I find it perfect.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I have a pretty basic roadie for some training. I have found road bikes to only be good on the road. This may sound obvious to many but consider where you want to ride. They are crap on bike paths and average in traffic.

You might want to look at a cyclo-cross/do-it-all frame like Surly's Cross Check. It has two big features that make it very flexible: horizontal drop-outs and large tire clearances. This lets you set it with a single speed gear-train, or with a roadie gears. As for tire size, you can run 25mm road tires or 38mm fire-trail tires with 29er wheels. It's a very flexible setup.

On the other hand, if you want a roadie for group rides etc and are willing to spend $2000 ~ $3000 you'll find a very well equipped carbon framed bike. Personally, I think Giant offer fantastic value in this price range at the moment. The disadvantage of a carbon roadie is tire width. Don't expect anything bigger than a 25mm tire to have clearance under the front fork.

Hugor

Likes Dirt
+1 crosscheck
Its a very versatile bike. It is also my first entrance into the road bike scene.
Geometry is not too aggressive so if your coming off an mtb background it won't be too offensive.
Will take wider slicks for commuting or offroad tyres for fireroad bashing.
Can be converted to SS easily with the horizontal drops.

wombat

Lives in a hole
I have been thinking about getting into road biking for fitness but I also want a bike that is pretty easy and fun to ride around to get places. Not sure if fixies can be used for this purpose or even a single speed. I love the idea of a fixie but would probably like the idea of gears more when riding up hills...
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
My roadie is a single speed. I have no real desire for a fixie as I like being able to descend fast when doing hilly rides, and I prefer a freewheel in traffic and around town. SRAM make some nice single speed brake levers for drop bars, and I'm just using a standard road wheelset with an SS conversion kit. The bike is fast, and simple. Definately not the best hill climber, but if I'm doing a really hilly ride I usually just throw a lower gear on.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
How about a hub gear. Looks like a fixie/single speed, has decent range for most uses. And if you're in a really urban area with heaps of stop/start the best thing is you can switch gears while stationary. Chuck a crabon belt and voila - maintenance free bike (almost).

Would love a bike like Wombat's for getting around!

I had a similar more trashed looking one when I lived in Vancouver, and for $200, was the funnest bike I've ever owned... and then someone stole it.