Pub Trivia - AKA things that may be beyond the scope of Moorey’s knowledge

Binaural

Eats Squid
An Australian doctor, Barry Marshall, won the Nobel peace prize for discovering the cause of XXXXX, which has also led to the almost complete eradication of a major kind of cancer. For added credit, what was unusual about the way in which he made this discovery?

PS This guy is one of the most underappreciated Australian heroes I can think of, in terms of how he's affected many millions of lives for the better. Good interview here (warning: spoilers)

Reactions: Zaf

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
You've all been conned. Lee Harvey Oswald never went to the moon, he was set up as a fall guy by the flat earthers.

Get woked.

• Haha

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry, I wrote a whole lot then realised I could do part two of the question instead!!!

What simple test do we use to screen for H.Pylori infections as a result of Dr Marshall's work?
It’s a breath test!

EDIT: You take a piss tablet (seriously, same stuff that you excrete in urine) and then do a breath test to see if it’s still in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Binaural

Eats Squid
I watched a video of iodine sublimation after this - was very cool, good question!

In the turbulent aftermath of world war 2, a number of scientific discoveries began to change the world in ways that could not have been imagined at the time. One of those was the transistor, and subsequently over 2,913,276,327,576,980,000,00 (about 3 sextillion) have been built by some estimates. What person or group invented the transistor?