QANTAS Baggage Charges - New from 1 June 2011

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
OK - after some emails and phone calls to QANTAS, it got put to the practical test about 30 minutes ago when I checked in. So, for QANTAS Domestic - and lets just work on Economy Class tickets, OK:

. You get one 23 Kg bag with your ticket (32 Kg if a QANTAS Club member or Silver/Gold Frequent Flyer Silver). Platinum you get 2 bags up to 32Kg.

. You can pre-purchase up to two extra bags, nominal 23Kg each, for $20 per bag each way. A flight with intermediate stops still counts as one flight as long as you don't break your trip. So, Canberra-Brisbane-Townsville-Cairns is $20, not $60.

. If your pre-purchased bags are over 23Kg (up to the 32Kg limit), you get charged an additional $20 "heavy item handling fee" per heavy bag at the airport. But they told me this morning that they aren't charging that yet, and that it does not apply to QANTAS Club or Silver/Gold frequent flyers - who get their extra pre-purchased bags up to 32 Kg.

So - the outcome ... Worst Case - a bike box up to 32 Kg as pre-purchased excess baggage will cost you no more than $40 each way (and probably only $20, especially if its under 23 Kg) to get anywhere in Australia on QANTAS.

Specific info from the QANTAS website relating to this is:

. Pre-Purchased Excess Baggage

. Heavy Item Charges

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As always, it might be worth carrying a printout of those regs with relevant bits highlighted.

I know it has helped me in the past (and conversely I've been stung when they didn't know and wouldn't listen).

Rent_a_crowd

Likes Dirt
As always, it might be worth carrying a printout of those regs with relevant bits highlighted.

I know it has helped me in the past (and conversely I've been stung when they didn't know and wouldn't listen).
I would do that too as the same thing has happened to me :mad:

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Any info on international flights?
Depends on whether you're going to "The Americas" or not and whether the baggage is normal entitlement or excess, but not as cheap as the domestic option. See these links for QANTAS for pre-purchased baggage:

. Normal Baggage Entitlements

. Excess Baggage Charges for pre-purchase

. International excess on QANTAS varies from $7 to $35 per Kg, or a flat rate of $105 for a 23Kg bag to "The Americas". The weird thing about this is that its cheaper to get a 23Kg bag to the USA than to NZ.

. At-the-Airport Excess Charges

Last edited:

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any info on international flights?
QANTAS flights to the US/Canada you are allowed 2 x 23kg bags, one of these can be a bike. If you are over the 23kg for one of the bags they can charge you excess baggage fees UNLESS you pre-purchase more bags: http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/prepaid-additional-baggage/global/en

All other countries you can only take 1x23kg bag but you can purchase more Kgs however it gets pricey! Emerites offers 30kg to Europe and though my research they have to most generous allowance to Europe out of any other airline.

dunndog

Eats Squid
So it's 175 to nz for 25kg, and 105 to USA for 23kg. Makes sense.. not
But thanks for the info! Good to know.

Shane-O

Likes Bikes
I was reading this the other day on the Qantas site... seems crazy to me.

I'm a gold freq flier... so they would prefer I check 1 enormously back-breakingly heavy 32kg bag, that is impossible for luggage hanlders to move, than check a couple of 16kg bags that are much more managable (or a 16kg bag and a 16kg bike box).

Retards.

S.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
True but for $20 more u get another bag up to 23kg (domestic flights). That's 55kg for $20.....not a bad deal