NSW Queanbeyan Council Dirt Jump and Pump Track Park

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
Queanbeyan Council have been hard at work developing concept designs for a new dedicated Dirt Jump and Pump Track facility. The design looks to have the potential for some future XC trails to be added on. The trails feature areas of varying skill and difficulty ensuring that everyone will have something to challenge them.

To assist in developing what looks to be a great facility, the Council is looking for comments from riders of all abilities to ensure that this park will meet its objectives of having something for everyone.

I can upload some pictures later tonight, but in the mean time there are pics here

All comments positive or negative will be passed onto the Council. Comments are needed in the next two weeks.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks absolutely unreal. Massive props.

My only feedback is that I'd like to see a line with at least three well-sized gravity-fed tables one after the other. Big steep-lipped senders, but with fairly low consequence if you come up short from time-to-time.

Otherwise, wow.

the_beast

Likes Dirt
That is sick if it actual gets built.

my suggestion would be a small section for kids so they don't get in the way and also so they can learn.

But yeah that will be awesome !!

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
I couldn't believe it when I saw what they had proposed. Going to have to pull my finger out now and push for a similar thing up here.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That is brilliant.

Absolutely huge props to Queanbeyan Council for doing this, they're leading the way and will be noticed for it. Thankyou for taking this step.

Now i'm not too sure on what the process has involved, and not being a local either I hope that my comments are still inkeeping with what is trying to be achieved - I do however visit Canberra fairly regularly.

My suggestions though, like Beast said, a kid's section where they can be slightly out of the way of the bigger guys.

Also, would some infrastructure be included in the area? A picnic table or some shaded areas would go a LONG way, even if they were to include something like a BBQ (for you Sammy, the kind of things you see around Lake Mac for the families). This could turn the area into a bit more of a 'day visit', rather than just an area to ride. This could perhaps make things more appealing for families or those travelling from further away. This does run the risk of having the area vandalised however, but it's just a part of it I guess.

Slightly unrelated question though, what is going to be their water source? Canberra is pretty consistently on water restrictions, and they'd need to have something on site for maintenance and...hydration purposes I guess you could say.

That's pretty much all I can think of at the moment, again, good on the council for stepping up.

k_d

Likes Dirt
Wow, never saw this coming.

Hopefully this goes ahead and you can add another spot to visit in the ACT/surrounding NSW area.

Jaybies_Can_Crash

Likes Dirt
Seems positive, I sent an email to Andrew.McNeice@qcc.nsw.gov.au as recommended by backbone bmx and recieved this response:

"Thanks for your comments Jason. I am looking forward to the park being
constructed and just hope it is used well for a long time! With the
responses I'm getting I think this is as you said a very much needed
facility for the ACT and Qbn region!

Andrew McNeice
Landscape Architect
Queanbeyan City Council"

Send more emails, let them know how much support there is, even if you are from out of town!

tommy-d

Likes Dirt
that is so so good!!

someone please get the organisers to contact wagga wagga city council and get them to get off there asses and copy this awesome achievement!!

keep me in the loop.. I would love to know when this starts to happen..

Man this proposal looks superb it's kinda hard to believe that there gonna build something like this. It's good to see there starting to make up for building a city 2 hours from the beach.

My only advice/opinion/input is don't make the finale surface gavel it does such bad things to your traction and or skin.

Jeremey

Likes Bikes
You lucky Bastards. Send a copy or two of the plans to the Sunshine Coast Council please! I am heading your way Christmas time to early for it to be built.

Kramer

FoBR
WOW! Looks great!! Canberra has been struggling to get a DJ park past the ACT Govt for ages now with talks around Gungahlin - or maybe Stromlo(?).

From the plans looks like there's lots of riding options, so as mentioned above some seperation of the easy, easy kids stuff from the mega fast big kids lines. Also water, power, BBQs, and shade. I would expect once established you might be able to hold some DJ comps - which would probably also find these resources mighty helpful.

About the XC stuff - it would be good if there was a XC link though to Jerrabomberra. I could imagine riding trails out a Jerra (as I semi-regularly do), and then hooking out to the DJ park for a few runs on the smaller lines (on XC/AM bike), then back to the pub at Jerra for a beer - gold!

STP_rider

Likes Dirt
just saw this thread and have to admit i never saw this coming, pictures look unreal, huge props to queanbeyan council for proposing this.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
That would be enough of a sway to get me to come visit Canberra again, I keep meaning to but nothing pushes me over the edge to come back there.

Seriously impressive stuff.

barnesy

Likes Dirt
Queanbeyan "Scar" Jump Park

A lot of doubting thomas's out there... Construction starts in early February (sorry won't be ready for the holidays). Andrew from Queanbeyan is currently sourcing enough material for the project. Which has already been started to be left on site.
To address a few concerns, the front of the park is mostly pump track with lots of options (little guys and warm up). As you progress to the rear jumps get bigger and deeper.
The general design idea behind the park is that you shouldn't be walking your bike anywhere. Too many jump parks have you riding a run and walking back. I don't want to walk my bike! So even if it's a rhythm section that gets you back to a roll in, at least your riding. There will be heaps of transfers, more than what is first apparent in the design!

Dirtz (dirtz.com.au) has about 5 x of these parks (different designs) in the pipeline across Australia and Asia, although Queanbeyan is going to be the first of the big ones and we are having to fit the build in between 'the Balkan' building BMX tracks all over the world. We have some excellent help teed up from the guys at Backbone BMX (thanks Rhys) and some other well known names in BMX trails. And the council (Andrew) is tuned in enough that they realise that this is really going to put Queanbeyan on the map.

Other key features, Gorilla snot, water, seating and landscaping all happening. Also looking at linking a 4X track into it from the surrounding mountain. Watch out Canberra !!

we'll keep you updated
Barnesy
diRTZ

Jaybies_Can_Crash

Likes Dirt
I haven't heard a word on this... For something that was meant to start in February it seems an awful lot like it might not have started so far? Any updates?

barnesy

Likes Dirt
Queabeyan update...

Scar Jump park unfortunately got put on hold for a while (not enough material and a few other Council based issues). But we are very happy to say it is back up and on the agenda. If anyone has seen the site recently you will see it has been filled with material...about 2000+ cubic metres (some good some not so good )
Stay tuned for a start date in the near (very near !) future :)

Last edited: