Questions which will never have an answer...

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If a car was somehow travelling >the speed of light and turned it's high beams on, would the headlights turn into black holes?
I highly doubt the headlights would have enough mass to collapse in on its self, do you have any undestanding of physics?

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Now that we're kinda on the whole 'speed' topic, if i'm flying at mach 2 or 3 in a fighter jet, and then pull out a gun ... shoot it straight at the cockpit window, will i die? (Taking into consideration that the bullet would actually break the glass, even though it probably wouldn't) would i catch up to the bullet and 'shoot myself'?

If that made any sence ...

nskz

Likes Dirt
Now that we're kinda on the whole 'speed' topic, if i'm flying at mach 2 or 3 in a fighter jet, and then pull out a gun ... shoot it straight at the cockpit window, will i die? (Taking into consideration that the bullet would actually break the glass, even though it probably wouldn't) would i catch up to the bullet and 'shoot myself'?

Well you will eventually overtake the bullet but it would be below your altitude at that time, assuming you are flying level and not chasing its trajectory.

Dandelion

Likes Dirt
I highly doubt the headlights would have enough mass to collapse in on its self, do you have any undestanding of physics?
Obviously I don't since you just proved me wrong. I tried :eek:

If the cockpit was pressurised then the speed of the jet would be irrelevant (I think). Although I don't know what would happen once the bullet broke the glass..

Edit: Just like if you throw a ball on Earth, the speed of the Earth's rotation is not relevant to the speed that the ball will travel.

Last edited:

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If the cockpit was pressurised then the speed of the jet would be irrelevant (I think). Although I don't know what would happen once the bullet broke the glass..

Edit: Just like if you throw a ball on Earth, the speed of the Earth's rotation is not relevant to the speed that the ball will travel.
Yes, obviously, but i'm talking about once it breaks the glass (or whatevs it is they use).

Well you will eventually overtake the bullet but it would be below your altitude at that time, assuming you are flying level and not chasing its trajectory.
Aaah, didn't think of that :eek: But could you be going that much quicker that the altitude does not become a factor? (I've no idea how much quicker you'd need to be travelling for this to happen)

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Since the helium would make your bike a little lighter (though it would be leaking out of your tubes if they were your standard ones...), if you did get a flat your bike would, as you put it, "sink into the earth".
The weight difference of filling tubes with helium compared to air is 1/5 of fark all.

Demonstrated by this equation.

A= the weight of air inside a normal tube = Fark all
B= The weight of helium inside a normal Tube = 4/5A

Weight difference between A and B= A-B =1/5 of fark all......

If you got a flat you wouldn't "sink into the earth." You'd just get a usual old flat.

S.

ex offender
Yes, obviously, but i'm talking about once it breaks the glass (or whatevs it is they use).

Aaah, didn't think of that :eek: But could you be going that much quicker that the altitude does not become a factor? (I've no idea how much quicker you'd need to be travelling for this to happen)
Say you're flying forwards at 3000km/h relative to the ground and you fire a bullet at an ADDITIONAL 1000km/h relative to the ground, the bullet will be travelling at 4000km/h forwards relative to the ground, so it'd still be travelling away from you at the same relative velocity as if you'd been standing on the ground (wind resistance disregarded for the initial velocities). Eventually the drag might slow it down enough that you could catch up to it and ram into it from behind, but it would have dropped a long long way by then. Think about it - fighter planes have machine guns in their nose, and they're not shooting themselves down!

thecat

I could well get this completely arse up with wind resistances and terminal velocities coming to to play but I think at all sensible speeds the speed of the bullet is still going to be relative to the speed of the gun it is fired from.

Lets say it leaves the barrel at a velocity of 10m/s, since the gun is travelling at the same speed as the plane to get the bullets velocity relative to someone standing stationary on the earth you add the speed bullet to the speed of the plane

So even if you fire the bullet when you are traveling mach 3 the bullet still leaves the barrel traveling 10m/s faster then that

Edit Doh! S. got in while I was typing :D

Last edited:

thecat

Eventually the drag might slow it down enough that you could catch up to it and ram into it from behind, !
And even then you have to take the relative velocity between the you and the bullet. If the bullet has slowed so it is traveling @ 2999km/h and you hit it from behind going 3000km/h it's like someone throwing you the bullet at 1km/h

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I could well get this completely arse up with wind resistances and terminal velocities coming to to play but I think at all sensible speeds the speed of the bullet is still going to be relative to the speed of the gun it is fired from.

Lets say it leaves the barrel at a velocity of 10m/s, since the gun is travelling at the same speed as the plane to get the bullets velocity relative to someone standing stationary on the earth you add the speed bullet to the speed of the plane

So even if you fire the bullet when you are traveling mach 3 the bullet still leaves the barrel traveling 10m/s faster then that

Edit Doh! S. got in while I was typing :D
Say you're flying forwards at 3000km/h relative to the ground and you fire a bullet at an ADDITIONAL 1000km/h relative to the ground, the bullet will be travelling at 4000km/h forwards relative to the ground, so it'd still be travelling away from you at the same relative velocity as if you'd been standing on the ground (wind resistance disregarded for the initial velocities). Eventually the drag might slow it down enough that you could catch up to it and ram into it from behind, but it would have dropped a long long way by then. Think about it - fighter planes have machine guns in their nose, and they're not shooting themselves down!
Aaahkay, now i get it :eek: both very good explanations but!

Can fat people go skinny dipping?
NO!
they chunky dunk ( my own saying!)
No it's not ...

Tallman

Likes Dirt
The weight difference of filling tubes with helium compared to air is 1/5 of fark all.

Demonstrated by this equation.

A= the weight of air inside a normal tube = Fark all
B= The weight of helium inside a normal Tube = 4/5A

Weight difference between A and B= A-B =1/5 of fark all......

If you got a flat you wouldn't "sink into the earth." You'd just get a usual old flat.
Exactly! But, I was merely anwering his question, I wasn't going to go into how little difference it would make, and using his term "sink into the earth".