quick muscle recovery?

So I can not bother buying anymore protein powder, bcaa's, glutamine or creatine again. Just stock up on steak?
The AIS website seems to suggest that (unsurprisingly), use low fat milk + skim milk powder for protein if you can't eat enough of it, is cheap and effective IME.

velolove

Likes Dirt
The AIS website seems to suggest that (unsurprisingly), use low fat milk + skim milk powder for protein if you can't eat enough of it, is cheap and effective IME.
I finally found the article from the AIS that mentions skim milk powder and it also says to make it in smoothie with milk and a Protien Bar.

Not throwing out my WPI just yet.

I finally found the article from the AIS that mentions skim milk powder and it also says to make it in smoothie with milk and a Protien Bar.

Not throwing out my WPI just yet.
That took you over a month? ;-)

At the cost, I wouldn't be chucking it out either. The article says lots of things, one of them, protein only supplements are not so good.

"They tend to provide very large amounts of protein and little other nutrients. There is no need for the amount of protein provided by many supplements and there is certainly no justification for the extra cost. "

http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition/factsheets/basics/protein_-_how_much

f_r

Squid
Muscle Recovery

hi,

i have been training over summer for the past years and have found that with a variety of sports it really helps (this really works for me) to flush out the lactic acid in the shower.

as soon as you get in the shower, stand under warm water (temperature you usually have a shower) for about 10 seconds, then turn the water to cold (and i mean cold as in no hot water, not cool water) for 10 seconds, then back to warm for 10 seconds and repeat this process 5+ times.
this has helped me a lot with muscle soreness and also feeling less lethargic the next day.

Hydration:

most people finish a training or competition session with some level of dehydration.
weighing yourself before and after training/competition can give you an approximate of your fluid deficiency. it can take up to 150% of the fluid deficiency to get back to BASELINE. So keep drinking throughout the day! i have a 1l bottle on my desk and aim to drink at least 2.5-3 a day.

also, drink small sips of water continuously. this will give the body a chance to actually absorb the fluid you have consumed. i once read that the body can only take up 2 (large) sips of fluid every 15 minutes. the rest just passes through the body and does not actually hydrate your body.
try and stay away from soft drinks (far too much sugar). stick with water and electrolyte enhanced drinks, sports drinks. these also contain some carbs and sodium, making them a great post-workout drink also. it is important to note that, especially with water, you should drink to a plan. take a break every 15-20 minutes and have a drink. or if you are training over a longer period, make sure you drink something every 15-20 minute during the workout. be careful not to consume too much though as this can make the rest of the workout feel quite uncomfortable. i tend to drink 2-3 sips every 15 minutes. or at least try to.

it is also very important to ensure you are fully rehydrated after each session!

Refuelling:

it is important to have food, more importantly the right food, immediately after your workout to kickstart recovery. within 30 minutes, preferably as soon as you are done.
the approximate ratio is about 1g/kg. so if you weigh 75kg you should aim to consume 75g of carbs as soon as possible. A bottle of powerade and a banana for example would be good and are easy to take with you as well. depending on what flavour you have, the bottles have between 40 and 80g of carbohydrates. a banana has approx 23g of carbs along with a little protein, good sugars and other good nutritional goodies.

additionally, consuming carbs during and/or after prolonged or high intensity work has shown to reduce disturbance to immune system markers.

Protein:

early intake of good quality protein foods helps to promote the increase in protein rebuilding. protein consumed immediately after a session is taken up more effectively by the muscles compared to protein consumed in the hours afterwards.
protein needs to be consumed with carbohydrate foods to maximise this effect!

example of this is a peanut butter crumpet or toast. peanut butter has great protein in it and the bread provides carbs. however dont overdo it because peanut butter also has a high fat content. also try and stay away from white bread as it has far less nutritional value and is less satisfying on the hunger front.

most of this information can be found on the AIS site etc. but i thought i would write it out so you dont have to search for it.

sorry about the length ,
hope this will help.

driftking

Wheel size expert
hi,

i have been training over summer for the past years and have found that with a variety of sports it really helps (this really works for me) to flush out the lactic acid in the shower.

as soon as you get in the shower, stand under warm water (temperature you usually have a shower) for about 10 seconds, then turn the water to cold (and i mean cold as in no hot water, not cool water) for 10 seconds, then back to warm for 10 seconds and repeat this process 5+ times.
this has helped me a lot with muscle soreness and also feeling less lethargic the next day.

Hydration:

most people finish a training or competition session with some level of dehydration.
weighing yourself before and after training/competition can give you an approximate of your fluid deficiency. it can take up to 150% of the fluid deficiency to get back to BASELINE. So keep drinking throughout the day! i have a 1l bottle on my desk and aim to drink at least 2.5-3 a day.

also, drink small sips of water continuously. this will give the body a chance to actually absorb the fluid you have consumed. i once read that the body can only take up 2 (large) sips of fluid every 15 minutes. the rest just passes through the body and does not actually hydrate your body.
try and stay away from soft drinks (far too much sugar). stick with water and electrolyte enhanced drinks, sports drinks. these also contain some carbs and sodium, making them a great post-workout drink also. it is important to note that, especially with water, you should drink to a plan. take a break every 15-20 minutes and have a drink. or if you are training over a longer period, make sure you drink something every 15-20 minute during the workout. be careful not to consume too much though as this can make the rest of the workout feel quite uncomfortable. i tend to drink 2-3 sips every 15 minutes. or at least try to.

it is also very important to ensure you are fully rehydrated after each session!

Refuelling:

it is important to have food, more importantly the right food, immediately after your workout to kickstart recovery. within 30 minutes, preferably as soon as you are done.
the approximate ratio is about 1g/kg. so if you weigh 75kg you should aim to consume 75g of carbs as soon as possible. A bottle of powerade and a banana for example would be good and are easy to take with you as well. depending on what flavour you have, the bottles have between 40 and 80g of carbohydrates. a banana has approx 23g of carbs along with a little protein, good sugars and other good nutritional goodies.

additionally, consuming carbs during and/or after prolonged or high intensity work has shown to reduce disturbance to immune system markers.

Protein:

early intake of good quality protein foods helps to promote the increase in protein rebuilding. protein consumed immediately after a session is taken up more effectively by the muscles compared to protein consumed in the hours afterwards.
protein needs to be consumed with carbohydrate foods to maximise this effect!

example of this is a peanut butter crumpet or toast. peanut butter has great protein in it and the bread provides carbs. however dont overdo it because peanut butter also has a high fat content. also try and stay away from white bread as it has far less nutritional value and is less satisfying on the hunger front.

most of this information can be found on the AIS site etc. but i thought i would write it out so you dont have to search for it.

sorry about the length ,
hope this will help.
Will add

Ratio of about 1:3 -1:4 protein to carbs.

So in your example of 75kg taking in 75g carbs they should also take in about 25gram protein at the same time. This is a general guide line for immediate after exercise, something fast absorbing like whey protein with simple carbs is ideal.

On the hydration front
Every hour, a healthy kidney at rest can excrete 800 to 1,000 milliliters of water and therefore a person can drink water at a rate of 800 to 1,000 milliliters per hour without experiencing a net gain in water. If that same person is running or cycling long distance, however, the stress of the situation will reduce the kidney's excretion capacity to as low as 100 milliliters per hour. Drinking more water per hour under these conditions can potentially lead a net gain in water. You can drink too much too quick in a condition known as Hyponatremia which is serious and can result in death. In where the intake of water is too high and it dilutes the blood levels of sodium and other electrolytes and essentially drowns the cells and the body. When the amount of sodium in fluids outside cells drops, water moves into the cells to balance the levels.When levels drop too low the body intakes too much water into the cells, This causes the cells to swell with too much water.

Not trying to scare people away from water here, but just make sure not to over hydrate, the condition is mostly seen in long distance runners or longer bouts of exercise where you are sweating and loosing sodium and only drinking water or not replacing electrolytes and sodium enough. re-hydrating with electrolyte and sodium solutions should reduce the risk of the condition.