Quick Question: LS-1 to LG-1

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As the title says, a quick question.

I've currently got an E13 LS-1. Below.

And I would like to run a Taco.

Not this.
This.

But the Ls-1 does not allow. If I was just to purchase an old (not the LG1+) back plate, as they're available, would my ls-1, become this. As by the look of thing, they're essentially the same, bar the back plate.

Therefore being Taco compatible.

Thankyou. And i hope you enjoyed my pictorial questioning.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
the back plate is the important bit ... as you've noticed ... your current jobbie doesn't have the taco bolt holes ...

So ... since the roller and top guide thingy are the same bolt pattern ... your logic is good.

Always good to have pics

dj3

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i have an LS-1 and always thought that if i wanted to run a taco, Mr. drill could make those holes? there is enough overhang to do so.

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I considered that. But the back-plate is just a relatively thin piece of steel, and would be no where near strong enough to take a beating through a Taco.

(Broken Taco)

T-Rex

Template denier
In the House of Rex we run both LS1 and LG1s. I was just last night fitting an LS1 to T-Rex Junior's DJ/4X bike, so your question is timely.

The top chain guide on the LS1 that I fitted last night had a different top chain guide to the LG1. As you know the LS1 has a pressed steel backing plate maybe 2mm thick, and the LG1 backing plate is aluminium more like 4 - 5mm thick. The LS1 top chain guide had a slot in it which created a lip that the steel backing plate sat in, and the aluminium backing plate on the LG1, being considerably thicker, would not fit in this slot. It might be something that you could fix with a file, but I wouldn't assume that it would just bolt right up to a LG1 backing plate.

Edit: And assuming you don't already own a taco, have you costed buying a complete LG1 and sellig your LS1, vs buying separately a backing plate and a taco? Spare tacos are annoyingly expensive for a simple yet very exposed part that gets wiped out from time to time.

Last edited:

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmm... Interesting. Actually I've got an old SRS in the garage, i could test the top box on, assuming it's the same as the LG-1. But I can't use this back plate on the bike as it's the old ISCG, I need ISCG '05.

Price wise the new LG1+'s are bloody expensive ($300+ I think), and I don't think I could get much for the LS-1 second hand, as they retail for just over a hundred. But i'll defiantly look at prices in more detail now to see whether it's worth it.

Thanks.

nvd20l

Likes Bikes
Hmm... Interesting. Actually I've got an old SRS in the garage, i could test the top box on, assuming it's the same as the LG-1. But I can't use this back plate on the bike as it's the old ISCG, I need ISCG '05.

Price wise the new LG1+'s are bloody expensive ($300+ I think), and I don't think I could get much for the LS-1 second hand, as they retail for just over a hundred. But i'll defiantly look at prices in more detail now to see whether it's worth it.

Thanks.
I'm in the same boat as you mate. I've got an LS-1 and I bought a taco last week assuming that it would bolt straight on. Now I'm stuck with this taco I can't use unless I get a new chain guide. When I read through the first few posts, I had hope that a new backplate would do the trick.
Hmmm.....

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
You can buy 4 or 5t aluminium and it shouldn't be too hard to make up a new backing plate if you have a few tools like drill, saw and files. Way cheaper than all new. Alternatively look at stiffening up the pressed steel backing plate. You could bolt an aluminium plate on the back or even get another pressed steel backing plate and bolt the two together.

nvd20l

Likes Bikes
This straight from e.Thirteen tech support:

"The original LS1 backplate that you have is unfortunately not taco compatible. We completely redesigned the backplate into the LS1+, but it uses newer generation sliders and a specific molded taco for strength.

The only way to convert over would be to find the appropriate 06-08 LG1 (aluminum) backplate, in which everything would simply swap over from your current LS1. These backplates are getting much harder to find as they have been completely discontinued for nearly two years now, so any remaining stock is the last of it."

If anyone has one of these they no longer need/want, can you send me a pm please.

floody

Wheel size expert
Just flog the LS1 for whatever and get a LG1+ then, its scarcely any more than a backplate and taco will cost at dealer price.

Morgan123

Likes Dirt
Sweet, cheers mate.

All parts and whatnot will be sourced through work. Support your LBS, Not the internet. ;)
If you're at all worried i asked the same question and got a reply from one of the e13 guys here .

Brand new lg1 for $188 is damn good.

philw86

Likes Bikes
If you're at all worried i asked the same question and got a reply from one of the e13 guys here .

Brand new lg1 for $188 is damn good.
The original 06-08 gen LG1/SRS backplate is becoming pretty scarce...so if you can find the backplate I would scoop it up. :cool: