quick question

feltq650

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hi, im looking to order a wheel set for chain reaction cycles. looking at the popular 721's on pro 2's. in the advertisement (i guess you'd call it) it states "Wheels are supplied as qr and can be converted with the included 15mm conversion (XC rims – 355, 4.2 and 717) or the 20mm conversion included with all other rims."
Now im wondering what they mean by this?
do they mean that i will be able to buy a qr hub and then convert it to a 20mm or 15mm. Or do they mean that it will come as a 20mm hub and come with the converters for qr or 15mm?
cheers any help would be appreciated.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40777 theres the link just in case.
cheers

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Hi Mate,
It looks like they lace the wheel to a QR version of the Hope Pro2 Hub, and include the 15mm QR kit with certain rims (the 355, 4.2 and 717), but include a 20mm conversion kit with any other build (such as 721s).

Don't stress too much about converting the hubs from QR to 20mm - it'll take you all of about 30 seconds max. All you need to do with the Hopes is to remove the QR skewer, pull off the end caps, and install the 20mm end caps. I did this recently on my 819s rims with Hope Pro2's, so I know that it is as easy as that! ;)

There's no buggering around inside the hub to change axle diameter - the hubs just use different end caps for different axle systems. Easy as punch!

If you want more details I can post up some pictures of what the end caps actually look like.

feltq650

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi Mate,
It looks like they lace the wheel to a QR version of the Hope Pro2 Hub, and include the 15mm QR kit with certain rims (the 355, 4.2 and 717), but include a 20mm conversion kit with any other build (such as 721s).

Don't stress too much about converting the hubs from QR to 20mm - it'll take you all of about 30 seconds max. All you need to do with the Hopes is to remove the QR skewer, pull off the end caps, and install the 20mm end caps. I did this recently on my 819s rims with Hope Pro2's, so I know that it is as easy as that! ;)

There's no buggering around inside the hub to change axle diameter - the hubs just use different end caps for different axle systems. Easy as punch!

If you want more details I can post up some pictures of what the end caps actually look like.
so there is no such thing(well with hope hubs) as a QR specific? only asking since ive only ever seen 15mm and qr convestion kits sold not 20mm. thanks for the help too

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Hi Mate,
Not to my knowledge, no. If you looks at the Hope service guides for the Pro2, the internal bearings & layout are all the same.

On the matter of service, this is what was a big winner for me on the Pro2s. They come with sealed bearings, which are really easy to remove, check & replace if necessary. Essentially they're bomb-proof, but if you do manage to stuff a bearing, it's super easy to sort out.

I've attached a picture of one of the QR plugs/end caps that came out of my Pro2s earlier this year. As you can see, it's basically a 20mm -> QR step down plug. The hub will come with one of these in each side. The 20mm conversion kits is basically 2 short 20mm tubes, that clip into the hub and give it the spacing required to make it to the fork lowers.

You remove the 2 QR plugs, install the 2 20mm plugs, and away you go!

I also managed to find some pics of the my hub on my new fork, with 20mm plug on. The black pieces you see between the inside of the fork lower and the silver hub are the 20mm end caps. These are what the axle goes through before it enters the hub proper.

Good luck!

Attachments

robwa

Likes Dirt
Hi Mate,
Not to my knowledge, no. If you looks at the Hope service guides for the Pro2, the internal bearings & layout are all the same.

On the matter of service, this is what was a big winner for me on the Pro2s. They come with sealed bearings, which are really easy to remove, check & replace if necessary. Essentially they're bomb-proof, but if you do manage to stuff a bearing, it's super easy to sort out.

I've attached a picture of one of the QR plugs/end caps that came out of my Pro2s earlier this year. As you can see, it's basically a 20mm -> QR step down plug. The hub will come with one of these in each side. The 20mm conversion kits is basically 2 short 20mm tubes, that clip into the hub and give it the spacing required to make it to the fork lowers.

You remove the 2 QR plugs, install the 2 20mm plugs, and away you go!

I also managed to find some pics of the my hub on my new fork, with 20mm plug on. The black pieces you see between the inside of the fork lower and the silver hub are the 20mm end caps. These are what the axle goes through before it enters the hub proper.

Good luck!
Mate what weight did your wheels come in at ?

just wondering cause im about to order Pro2's laced to something, cant quite decide (dt swiss 4.2, xc77, xm819) with dt swiss comp spokes.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Robwa:
To be completely honest mate, I never actually got them weighed, either before of after the QR->20mm conversion. I can tell you that it's not the lightest wheel set on the market, but it is definitely one the of the most bomb-proof for XC & trail riding. It's still not heavy though - certainly lighter than my old OEM wheels that came on my original Trance (XM317s on DT Swiss Cerit hubs).

So far I've had to give the front wheel a small true, but they've gone through some pretty serious abuse! :D

I don't race at all yet, and even if I did I reckon they're suffice for what I do. I mean, really, by no means am I an "elite" rider ;)

felt650q:
No Worries mate. Enjoy your new wheels!