Quicksilver - Saturn 14ST

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Done.

Spec list because I'm a) bored and b) this is what we do now.

I initially was going to just swap everything across from the Rocky and then sell the Instinct frame, but in the intervening months I've been waiting for delivery I started to get carried away... As you do. And then I realised if I just bought a couple extra parts I would be able to sell the Rocky as a complete which should be easier. So, in for a penny in for a pound (many pounds).

Meanwhile, boxes of shit have been piling up in the shed waiting for a frame to go on, here's the plan:

FrameNicolai Saturn 14 ST (M)
3.25​
ShockDPX2 Factory 210x50
0.42​
HeadsetCane Creek 40
0.12​
Seat clampBBB Lightstrangler
0.02​
ForkPike Ultimate
1.88​
SeatpostTransfer P/E 150
0.56​
SeatPhenom Pro
0.21​
StemDeity Copperhead 35x35
0.14​
HandlebarOneUp 35 20mm rise
0.20​
GripsODI Vans
0.11​
ShifterM8100
0.12​
DerailleurM8100
0.28​
CassetteM8100
0.47​
ChainM8100
0.25​
CranksM8100
0.52​
ChainringPilo 34t
0.07​
ChainguideOneUp ISCG05
0.04​
PedalsXT trail
0.41​
BrakesCura 4
0.53​
Rotor FMT800 203mm
0.16​
Rotor RMT800 180mm
0.13​
Adapter FShimano
0.02​
Adapter RNil
WheelsEXC1200 (inc tape/valves)
1.80​
Tyre FAssegai 29x2.5 EXO+
1.13​
Tyre RDissector 29x2.4 EXO
0.90​
Insert RRimpact Pro
0.16​
Total (est)
13.89​

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
At what point do you realise you're actually keeping the Instinct? :p

So keen to see this build though!

(...even though your seat clamp has the weirdest S&M kinkster-inspired name I have ever seen)

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
(...even though your seat clamp has the weirdest S&M kinkster-inspired name I have ever seen)
Haha I'm no @pink poodle - I can only cope with a light strangle.

Definitely not keeping the Instinct, they're not sufficiently different for there to be any point. I like it, it satisfied my urge to see if I would like a mid-travel 29er. I did, now I want one that I can also get excited about.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Haha I'm no @pink poodle - I can only cope with a light strangle.

Definitely not keeping the Instinct, they're not sufficiently different for there to be any point. I like it, it satisfied my urge to see if I would like a mid-travel 29er. I did, now I want one that I can also get excited about.
I don't mind it rough! One of my seat clamps says "Skywalker". It's on the jumpy bike.

What sort of plans do you have for this thing?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Frame collected from distro by TNT... Odds of it making it from Qld to Mel overnight? Probably slim. Odds TNT might deliver on a Saturday? Also probably slim. Fingers crossed but looking like it'll be here Monday.

Minlak

custom titis
Frame collected from distro by TNT... Odds of it making it from Qld to Mel overnight? Probably slim. Odds TNT might deliver on a Saturday? Also probably slim. Fingers crossed but looking like it'll be here Monday.
Prepare for Friday Next Week - Thursday Pick up goes to a Depot - Friday sorting - Saturday / Sunday it's Australia that shit ain't going nowhere - Monday to Melbourne depot - Tuesday to local Depot - Wednesday / Thursday it will be in the freight nether void realm (A realm where freight goes to whilst the local Depot swears they haven't got it) - Friday you go and pick up when it miraculously reappears.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Person: What kind of impacts are your headtubes stress tested to?
Nicolai: Yes
Yeah wild hey. The regular non-ST Saturn 14 doesn't have the extra gusset, and is "not rated" for bikepark use or forks with >35mm stanchions. Which seems wild because even without the gusset these things look tough as.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I either read somewhere or just made up that Nicolai / Geometron are still sitting on 0.0 warranty returns after six years, so I can only assume they just go straight through whatever they crash into. That A-bomb probably got dented hitting it.
a local in gisborne warrantied his, i think it was a saturn, he rode it with loose linkage bolts and on crashing it one of the joins failed - prob wasn’t nicolai’s fault but they warrantied it anyway, that was roughly 18months ago -he moved to ibis and is very happy - built up new nic. frame for his partner who doesn’t ride