[R]evolution Issue 8 - Out Now

cressa

Likes Dirt
Just quietly, "Specs" is technically a conjunction/shortening of "Specifications" and not a plural of "Spec" (which isn't actually a word) so in that case, the apostrophe is acceptable. There are many more instances where it clearly is not.
How about... "spec" is a shortening of specification, and "specs" is the plural of the shortened word. "Specifications" has no apostrophe, nor should "specs".... i'm guessing really... aim flame -->here<--

About the mag, this is the first issue I have actually bought and spent time with and, sorry [R], the whole typo thing really does let down an absolutely spot on mag (I know a freak of a proof reader if ya need one;)).

I worked as a designer for a publisher predominatly interested in "action lifestyle" titles a few years ago, and pitched the idea of a MTB mag that pretty much was envisioned to be exactly what Revolution is today, and that was before I was into MTB myself. I'm very glad to see the DH,4x,DJ,FR niche covered and presented so well, keep it up.

Scott, the logo looks terrible with a yellow fill in the wording!

Ryan

Radministrator
How about... "spec" is a shortening of specification, and "specs" is the plural of the shortened word. "Specifications" has no apostrophe, nor should "specs".... i'm guessing really... aim flame -->here<--
Ooh, it's on now! Why do we need to shorten the singular word and then make it into an apostrophe-free plural though? Bikes never have a single specification, they have specifications, which is the word that's being contracted to get "Spec's"

cressa

Likes Dirt
Ooh, it's on now! Why do we need to shorten the singular word and then make it into an apostrophe-free plural though? Bikes never have a single specification, they have specifications, which is the word that's being contracted to get "Spec's"
But that's still no reason there as to why you need to put an apostrophe there...

So in the mag it is just used as a one off word (in caps) "SPEC'S". Which complicates things a little as it does not form a part of a phrase or sentance, but this gives even more reason NOT to use an apostrophe.

Specifications is simply a plural of specification, specs plural of spec, (which I would probably consider more an informal use of the word, hence, another word entirely rather than a shortening).

Last edited:

holmes

Squid
I hear you guys on last issue with mistakes and it's an issue myself and JT want to have sorted hella pronto.

While [R]evo is run by 3 riders out of spare rooms on the most minimal budget, it aint no excuse! And when you put so much work into making each issue happen, it's a downer to see stuff that could've been easily fixed make it out there...

It's a steep learning curve not too dissimilar to riding. Each time you go out, you wanna step up, go a bit faster, ride a bit smoother etc. Thats the ultimate plan for the mag.

Shane1377, you mention you know a freak of a proof reader... Hit me up with some details, and are they in Syd? And who where you working with when there was talk of a freeride like MTB mag? Just interested in all this mag shiz.

Anyways, I hope you're digging the mag even with the typos. I blame too much riding as a kid.

Roc on,

Matt