Radially spoked wheels......whats the go?

Glock

Likes Bikes
I have noticed that some bikes have a radially spoked front wheel. Why is this? Surely a standard cross pattern would be stiffer and stronger. I know that on road bikes radially spoked wheels are for aerodynamics, but why bother for an mtb?

Rik

logged out
lighter, looks good
mainly the latter reason, as it gives a "racy" appearance, which makes them look more XC orientated. Felt do it, who else?

bazza

look at me
my ol goose did it looked pimpinnnnn better than the cross spoked. but yeah your theories are right its for looks basically and thats fine on lower range bikes ie 500-1500

Glock

Likes Bikes
heaps of bike co's do or used to radially spoke wheels. specialized, norco, and the trek family (gary fisher, klein, trek). Rik, am i missing something when you say it's lighter? If the wheel has the same amount of spokes but just a different lacing pattern, how is it lighter?

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Radially spoked wheels would be significantly weaker than a 2 or 3 cross wheel.

The radial design is very resistant against side to side force, hence the reason most flatlanders use it. But it is really bad when combatting front on force, so you'll get a lot of flatspots and buckles because of this.

The weight saved would be minimal, but the strength lost would be substantial.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
arnt the spokes longer in a radially laced wheel? wouldnt it make it heavier...
what do u think the best lacing patten for DH and big hits?

wombat

Lives in a hole
Glock: a radial wheel is marginally lighter because the spokes travel in a straight line from the hub to the rim, rather than on an angle like in a cross pattern, so they are fractionally shorther and therefore lighter.

The most widely used pattern is 3 cross, because it's simple and strong. My guess for the strongest though would be a tied and soldered wheel. Although apparently sex lacing is pretty strong (provided your spokes don't snap).

CHEWY

Eats Squid
wombat said:
My guess for the strongest though would be a tied and soldered wheel. Although apparently sex lacing is pretty strong (provided your spokes don't snap).
escuse me?

wombat

Lives in a hole
Hahaha, not there's no joke.

Tied and soldered: a process where a wheel is built normally, and the spokes are tied together using wire, and soldered in place. When done properly it creates a "virtual hub flange" that is huge, making for a very stiff wheel. Can make it difficult to adjust the tension or true a rim though.

Sex lacing: rare and kinda strange, also known by many other names that I can't remember. Instead of the sets of spokes simply being crossed, they are actually twisted together multiple times, making a braid type arrangement. Very difficult to build well, but man do they look cool!

CHEWY

Eats Squid
ok thanks wombat... i saw that "sex" lacing a while back... kinda freaked me out but it does look very pimpish indeed

Rik

logged out
sex lacing, I've heard it referred to as twisted or twistback.

what a prick of a thing it would be to do.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Rik said:
sex lacing, I've heard it referred to as twisted or twistback.

what a prick of a thing it would be to do.
Yeah that's one of the names, I think I also heard it called cheese something? But no matter what you call it it would be a nightmare to put together, especially with low gauge spokes, argh, I don't even want to think about it....

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I built a "twisted" wheel a few months ago when I was working at a shitty bike shop I won't mention. It was for a Norco Bigfoot. Just spun the spokes two full revolutions. Looked really good, and was VERY stiff.

But...there's always a but...it's just transfering the force to some other part of your bike. So instead of buckling a rim, you're smashing hub flanges or headset cups...

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ill always go with a 3 cross lacing patern, it might not be as stiff as a 4 cross or 'twisted' but atleast if you buckle your wheel, its more easily fixed. And when you do buckle or destroy it wiht a stiffer lacing, by by wheel. Thats the only thing i can fault the wheel craft wheels on, the spox just have waaaaay to much tension for real world riders. One stick in your spox snapping one or two is going to pull it right out to the side, and make a nice big builge in the wheel, making it almost unrideable.

Cruz

Likes Dirt
Wombat, if you buy MBA from the USA there was a picture of Greg Herbolds Scott HiOctane with a twist spoke rear wheel build, in the heros bike of the month or whatever it is called.