Radially spoked wheels......whats the go?

wombat

Lives in a hole
shmity said:
Thats the only thing i can fault the wheel craft wheels on, the spox just have waaaaay to much tension for real world riders. One stick in your spox snapping one or two is going to pull it right out to the side, and make a nice big builge in the wheel, making it almost unrideable.
Good point. I think I must be getting lazier though. I'd much rather replace a rim on the odd occasion that I do catch a stick than have to constantly true my wheels; I hate maitenenece, and parts are getting cheaper...

notb4dinner

Likes Dirt
I'm with wombat, the one thing I *really* dislike doing, as far as bike maintenance goes, is wheel truing. Too many variables, fiddly and I can never get it exactly right.

perfor8r

Likes Dirt
sxereturn said:
Radially spoked wheels would be significantly weaker than a 2 or 3 cross wheel.

The radial design is very resistant against side to side force, hence the reason most flatlanders use it. But it is really bad when combatting front on force, so you'll get a lot of flatspots and buckles because of this.

The weight saved would be minimal, but the strength lost would be substantial.
Very true!
Tried XC racing on a radial spoked wheel after a friend of mine built it for me, but kept getting flatspots in it after each race...Lighter yes, but you cringe at every little bump.

Good point. I think I must be getting lazier though. I'd much rather replace a rim on the odd occasion that I do catch a stick than have to constantly true my wheels; I hate maitenenece, and parts are getting cheaper...
You're not the only one who's lazy! :D AFter a ride it's like therapy cleanin' up the bike, but when it comes to wheels, man i suck keeping them true. Just don't have the knack for it.

Ty

Eats Squid
i believe one of the main problems with radially spoked wheels is disc brake and drive wind up, basicaly when you grab a had full of brake the hub stops moving first and then the stoping has to be transfered to the rim/tire, with a 3 cross patten the force is down the shaft of the spoke (squeesing it together from the ends) in a radially spoked wheel the force is being applyed to either ends so it wil flex more, sorry but it's hard to explain across the net.

--> = direction of force

---> ----------- <---

--> |
|
|
|
| <---

but basicaly the rim is attatched alot more solidly for disc brake and drive loads with a 3 cross pattern, if you find a pic of the first of the mavic wheelsets (from V-brake days) you'll see that the drive side is 3 cross while the non drive side is radial

anyways someone will probably come up the the maths to support or disprove me now.

and a pic for wombat

Rik

logged out
You've got to be an idiot to run radial spoking on a disc wheelset!

But some of the new mavic wheels come with radial drive and 3cross non-drive, which is another no-no usually, except they've made the hub specifically for that pattern so it's ok.
I still find nothing at all wrong with 3 cross,and will continue to ride it for years to come. But, I am an overweight rider who is unforgiving on wheels, so guys like me should always try to keep as traditional as possible when it comes to wheels.

dick

Likes Dirt
some of the mavic wheelsets come with only 28 spokes...llike the deemax/ is that just for weight or is it meant to be stronger somehow?

Ty

Eats Squid
dick, less spokes = less weight (by a factor of bugger all) and better aero dynamics (not really when going slower than 20km/h with a 2+inch tire),

i'd say it's just a marketing ploy.

Rik

logged out
Mavics all run insanely high spoke tension, so I guess that makes them stronger with less spokes.

But on a side note, dud wheels, what about the Shimano range, what on earth were they thinking? Make a heavy wheel with no strength, good job

Bonnet

Likes Dirt
i know a trials rider who's comp setup is a 3 cross on the front with a magura lousie disc, and a radial on the back running HS33's. he claims that the 'wind-up' in the radial on the back wheel gives him another half foot lurch/gap. But only runs it in comps because its expensive continually having to replace wheels. just so you know he rides a 20" monty.

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
everybody knows that if you want wheels to look good, you get spokie dokes!! :lol:

wombat

Lives in a hole
live_to_ride said:
everybody knows that if you want wheels to look good, you get spokie dokes!! :lol:

Haha, I put two sets (70 spokies) on my boss's new bike. It took him over two hours to get the bloody things off (these ones are really tight, you need to prise them off with a screwdriver).
When our local 4X series gets going though, I'm gonna race with tassles if I can, I'll strike fear into the heart of the competition! :twisted:

wombat

Lives in a hole
Hmmm, a basket might interfere with my vision. I am however happy to ride with a dolls seat on the back, provided I can adapt one of the mounts.... I spose I could run spokey dokeies too.
Do you reckon the doll seat, tassles and spokies would be enough to put off the competition and compensate for my total lack of skill?

CHEWY

Eats Squid
hell yea! i know id get freaked out if i saw a wombat with tassels screaming down the hill behind me :wink:

wombat

Lives in a hole
CHEWY said:
hell yea! i know id get freaked out if i saw a wombat with tassels screaming down the hill behind me :wink:
Behind you??? :p See that's the idea of the dolls seat, I mean how would you feel trying to get round the rider in front of you while there's a white and pink doll seat flapping round the back of their bike?

hydroboy

Likes Bikes
Another advantage of radial lacing

Many flatlanders use it, it is very stiff side to side but not as stiff up and down, i have seen a detailed explination as to why buliding a wheel radialy laced on the non drive side and 3/4 cross on the drive side is the strongest, stiffest wheel posible. However if you run disk brakes this may be abit of a no no because the disk will put too much force on that side of the hub. I can try to find a link if people are interested. Many trials riders lace their wheels this way because of this advantage and because almost all of us use v/magura rim brakes on the rear.

Rik

logged out
I wonder how that'd compare if you were to lace a front wheel 3cross disc side, radial non-disc side... :?:
Then again, fancy lacings are all fun and games (like the front of my roadie) but I'll stick with good old 3/4 cross for reliability and ease of truing.