Rainrut Track Conditions Changed

SCHOEY

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Was out for a ride yesterday arv, and rainrut was the track of choice. Was having a blast till i got to the northshore style ramp chute before the set of doubles near the bottom.

I rode the track five times in the past week, so the track isn't exactly new to me. I know the lines, but someone has decided to change it over the weekend, removing the steeper ramp from the pallet to the flatter ramp. As you can't see it till you are there, and i didn't have enough approach speed, i proceeded to go over land on the front wheel, nose wheelie and then lay on the ground like a bag of you know what.

Yes it is an A line, but that steep ramp wasn't obstructing the riders that wanted to launch from the pallet.

I could accept losing it on a corner and ending up in the lantana or something. But something man made being removed like this ramp is a bit irresponsible.

I won't be on my bike now for a good couple of days as i've got a sprained wrist, bruised elbow and some good gashes.

Just thought i would voice this before someone else gets hurt.

People changing conditions like this should use this forum to keep fellow mtb'ers informed of changes & on there bikes not off them.

What do you's think?

Kasplat

Likes Dirt
never rid'n rain rute don't know where it is, but i agree people need to say what's going on, ont the tracks. but then again i thinks it's people who don't use this forum and that arn't affiliated with the culb making these changes!:mad:

aaron01

Likes Bikes and Dirt
personnaly the tracks should be left alone changing tracks should only be done on designated track building days. Thoses deciding they want to change the track & its conditions should p**s off & build their own tracks.
Leave the Trails alone god knows there aren't many so look after what we have.

MrPlow

TMBC
That track is used by horse riders too.
It wouldn't suprise me if it was vandalised maybe?

Did some runs of flaggon on the weekend, got abused about 4 times, all different cars.
Our days are numbered there as well. I can only imagine that the same immiture dickheads that build NS there also tear up the shuttle runs driving like idiots.

Time to build some more secret tracks I think:confused:

Out of city limits off course.

SCHOEY

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't know what the answer is, but something should be done before someone gets hurt.

Generally. if it's a line you don't know, you ride it with caution, but with this ns crap it can change in 5 minutes. If it's gonna get built it should be made permanent and by someone with some construction/ carpentry skills & out of some structual material.

Is flagon the old preston track?

I'll have to get to a club ride and join, so i can voice my opinion as a member of a group, not an individual.

I don't want to sound like a dick having a whinge, some of the ns stuff is pretty cool. It gives some tracks a bit of variety, especially a short track like rain rut.:mad:

aaron01

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is rainrutt still even a legal MTB track? I know it is still marked as such on council maps, but I have heard of a couple of riders being spoken too by rangers while riding the trail. Anyways best to keep the trail building to the bobcats & club days IMO
SCHOEY, mate your comments are valid I don't think you are whinging when you have been injured by somebodies stupid behaviour, although it does show the importance of maybe checking the trails that may be vandelised or updated before doing them at speed.

Last edited:

aaron01

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OK the rangers weren't to forward they just simply stated that we should be carefull where we rode as not all trails are for MTB useage, maybe we were reading into it too much?

MrPlow

TMBC
Don't stress

From what I know there is no prob with riding there. Or the fire road that connects it to the DH.
Also Mark Ready is getting signs and markers made, then we will no for sure.

Road Rage Ryan

Likes Bikes and Dirt
aaron01 said:
Is rainrutt still even a legal MTB track?
Lets put this baby to bed. Rain Rutt is definately a legal track and as Greg said it is a gazzetted Road owned by the state govnernment not local council. Therefore unless there are plans to continue the road through the track should be accessible for years to come. A couple of points that I would like to bring up regarding this track are: To those that are making all these adjustments please respect that other users also access this trail ie horse riders and walkers. Let's not turn this track into one big mountain bike playground. The way the track originally was seemed to minimally impact upon the surroundings. Now there are bits of track here there and everywhere. Another point I would like to make is that riders should always yield to the other users of the track like horse riders and pedestrians. Remember we are quite a bit luckier than the horse riders as they are very restricted to where they can ride. We have been given land by the council to develop into a mtb park unlike our equine friends. On a final point I have recently been down to the council to look at the proposed areas where we can ride. They have been very generous to us and I can tell you that most of the fireroads are all still accessible to mountain bikes but some trails are definately no no's such as cheeseburger, suspension bridge and picnic point trails. In saying this if we as a club can maintain and develop sustainable DH and XC trails it is my belief that the council will be more willing to grant us greater access to land.

louispijpers

model citizen
I have seen the guy that builds all of the NS down there cause i had to give him a bit of a serve one day. He had put a pile of uncompacted dirt which he called a 'jump' in the middle of the track. While i was chasing someone down on my hardtail i didn't notice the uncompactedness of the jump and proceded to headbutt the ground with exceptional force. So I proceede to tell him not to alter already built tracks. He didn't really take it onboard beacause as you can see there is a lot of NS down there now. As far as building and riding new tracks i think it has to be done througt the council because then there is some sort of protection from randoms building shotty 'obstacles' which will improve their 'freeriding' abilities of riding along a metre wide platform until they try to corner on a real track and flip their guts out. The point i am trying to get across is that NS is useless why build POS wooden bridge over a section of track that is already good, or is it to technically challenging for the technical freeriders who can ride over wooden bridges.

nathan

Likes Dirt
Im with ya louie. Why don't these people join the club and work with us and not build this dodgy crap everywhere.

OK _ Went for a ride on Sunday and for our good luck we met up with the lady who owns the land yesterday, and it responsible for maintaining and guiding the track development of the horse riders there.

A few points. We have made a semi-formal arrangement with her about where each of us rides. She was quite happy at the understanding that the MTB's are free to ride what they want on the left hand side of the track, but attempt to stay clear of the right hand side. She said she doesn't mind track work done on the left, but asked for no obsticles to be built on the right, simply becuase her horses don't like them and they tend to distract the horse on their ride. Also they horses will destroy them and she doesn't want them being made bigger and stronger as it will one day hurt one of her horses.

We made it quite clear that she is to tell other horse riders on the track that if they see someone who is building obstacles on the right hand side of the track (as you look from the start of the track) to kindly tell them not to. Excessive language can be used at their choice. Also there are sections of the track they are shared, where both tracks meet and run for a short period, no track work there has been requested.

Also - now this is a message to the people doing track work on the left hand side of the track. There is some nice work there - and there is some absolutely shocking work. More attention needs to be paid to the safety of the other riders. If no effort is mae to make it safer for other riders, especially on the sections of Northshore, and no effrorts are made to provide B-Lines on the more technical parts of the track, then some riders might become annoyed and remove the unsafe obstacles.

Below are some photos of the track which I took on my ride, with some talk on them.

This is the beginning of the track. There are two distinct entries, left and right. Please keep the right hand track for Horse use and minimise the use of MTB"s through there.

This is the first "real" jump, there is a smaller rock jump before this. This is an example of good work. Clear B-Line, well designed and re-inforced.

This is the looking down shot (looking directly on top). The steep northshore on the reverse side is an excellent exaple of deisgn. If someone hits the jump to slow they can roll-over it and not stuff up their landing. THere is plenty off room too for a good sized jump and landing for beginners and amateurs.

This is some tree-made nothershore across a small section of a rut. Well made, very sturdy, not too obtrusive.

Here is a reverse shot (looking back at it)

This is the first "run" of northshore in the track. This has both good points and bad points which I will demonstrate.

This is a good point. Excellent entry, nice smooth start, well designed section. Embedded well in the dirt, minimal safety issues.

Yet only 1 metre further on there is a major issue. This is a photo looking back up the northshore on the first section desacribed above. This is a join from one section to the other. A small tree branch has been used for the second section with a piss poor connection. It wobbles, is not sturdy and will be one of the first sections to go when it does. Note the use of the word WHEN, not IF.

This is another example of some piss poor engineering in place. This is a cross beam which is one of the main supports for the northshore. Sure it is made from treated pine and will weather well, but is SITTING on top of a bent 44 gallon drum. I know that this is so it doesn't embed itself too deep, but what is to protect it from lateral movements?

Below are before and after shots of the northshore ending. The left hand one is from two weeks previous, and the right hand photo is from our ride on Sunday. The end of the Northshore has been risen by about 2 feet to make it a jump, something I was clearly not expecting. I broke hard and had to bail quickly not to hurt myself on this.

What annoys me here is the fact there is no B-Line off the end, it is jump or nothing, and the fact that it is chaning overnight with no warning is what is going to kill or hurt people. I could do the drop previously, but now it is too much for me.

This next section is too scary for me to ride it, and too bloody dangerous as it was, even more so now.

This is a rather large drop here, about 2 - 2.5 metres where someone has built a northshore ramp down. In theory it is good but the workmanship on the ramp is shocking to say the least. There is no correct support, nothing to prevent it slipping and the wood used does not appear to be strong enough for consistent use. The beginning of the ramp is the worst.

Now what has made it worse is the inclusion of a pallet at the beginning which makes a drop onto this poorly constructed ramp. One day someone is gong to hit it and end up with wood right through them, very dead!. One redeeming fact is the clear B-Line to the left of this monstrosity as seen in the third picture.

This next image is looking back on the northshore "death trap" ramp.

This next section would have to be the "Icing on the Cake" award for ultimate stupidity.
To cover a gap, which is seem running across the bottom of the photo, some 'genius' has place an unaltered pallet acorss this gap with the gooves facing in the direction of travel!. I know some beginners who ride this track and could easily get caught out on this idiotic peice of laziness. This will be the first to go if things don't change.

So to those who wish to modify and use this track.

1. Try to stick to the LEFT!
2. ALWAYS give way to the horses at ALL TIMES.
3. If you build an obsticle, make it for ALL skill levels, if this means spending an extra hour building a decent B-Line, then do it, it could be someone's arm, leg, hand, neck you save.

Last edited:

faith_rider

Likes Dirt
Daniel-Son said:
This next section would have to be the "Icing on the Cake" award for ultimate stupidity.
To cover a gap, which is seem running across the bottom of the photo, some 'genius' has place an unaltered pallet acorss this gap with the gooves facing in the direction of travel!. I know some beginners who ride this track and could easily get caught out on this idiotic peice of laziness. This will be the first to go if things don't change.
OMFG! That sure is engineering at its finest right there :eek:

It looks like the track could have a lot of potential if things were built properly. We get the same kind of thing around here at Choc Buddha amongst other places. If it was even built properly in the first place, some arsehole won't like it and will want to change it. People need to learn that if they want t build NS then do it right the first time and if they don't like it becasue they can't ride it then learn or if they think its too easy, build their own. Don't alter things, especially in blind spots or when it is going to become dangerous.

One main reason why people build their decent NS out of harms way ;)

MrPlow

TMBC
Daniel-Son..... with the lady who owns the land yesterday said:
No, This is a gazetted Road, I don't see how she can claim to own the land.
So, the way I see it, we have the same rights to ride any of the tracks there.
But I think this NS is ridiculous:mad: Geeez, the reason why "Slats" started in the first place (NS is a place BTW) Is because their terrain was too unridable.
So don't build it I say.
But if your going to, FFS do it properly. Ask your Dad to help you, if your too scared to get some parental advice that answers your Question if you should be building there hey??

But as far as TMBC is concerned, I will say officially, we have nothing to do with track building / modification there. And we will continue to ride that track until someone of appropriate authority tells us, in writing otherwise.

Over and out, end of discussion, lets move along.:)

style wiskey

Likes Dirt
Daniel-Son said:
This next section is too scary for me to ride it, and too bloody dangerous as it was, even more so now.

This is a rather large drop here, about 2 - 2.5 metres where someone has built a northshore ramp down. In theory it is good but the workmanship on the ramp is shocking to say the least. There is no correct support, nothing to prevent it slipping and the wood used does not appear to be strong enough for consistent use. The beginning of the ramp is the worst.

Now what has made it worse is the inclusion of a pallet at the beginning which makes a drop onto this poorly constructed ramp. One day someone is gong to hit it and end up with wood right through them, very dead!. One redeeming fact is the clear B-Line to the left of this monstrosity as seen in the third picture.

This next image is looking back on the northshore "death trap" ramp.
I'll start off by saying that you(as in every person that rides mtbs) should ALWAYS either ride the track that your riding extremly slow the first time for that session of runs that your going to do or even walk up/down it.

That north shore "death trap" as you say is also only about half a metre from the top of the drop to the highest part of the downramp, and is only a drop of 2 to 2 1/2 metres if you huck it almost to flat onto the dirt at the very bottom of the north shore downramp. And i somehow dont see that downramp snapping unless you are a real hack because ive landed on everypart of it and beyond as have some of my friends, every run we do. But if saftey is really an issue for you then dont ride it and dont change the track just because it doesnt make you feel comfortable, i understand making it safer but dont change the actual line or the way the track goes.(note:i also agree that the drop could be mad a bit safer but like i said if your not comfortable doing it then dont).

And if you can not ride the track then simply ride somewhere else(maybe cheeseburger)to build up your skill so that you can ride the more "advanced" tracks. Its just like flaggon if you dont like the track or cant ride it then simply learn how to and dont change it, or go somewhere else or just simply walk around the a-lines.

Not trying to have a go at your or anyone, but its towards everybody at the same time, i used to walk some parts of tracks to when i first started riding.

Edit: Sorry greg i was typing this when u said that and didnt see it

Last edited:

Cruz

Likes Dirt
Another prime example of unnecessary building of man made crap in the bush so that a few riders can get their jollies. What a complete eyesore, whether it was made professionaly or not. Build it in your own back yards and leave trails alone.

MrPlow said:
No, This is a gazetted Road, I don't see how she can claim to own the land.
Sorry Mr Plow - I can see how that sounded wrong. The lady owns the land on which the horses are kept, next to the track. She has taken the responsibility on herself for the track of the horses, but in no official capacity does that job nor own the land upon which the tracks reside.

style whiskey said:
And if you can not ride the track then simply ride somewhere else(maybe cheeseburger)to build up your skill so that you can ride the more "advanced" tracks. Its just like flaggon if you dont like the track or cant ride it then simply learn how to and dont change it, or go somewhere else or just simply walk around the a-lines.
Firslty, the is one of the very few (complete) techical rides available in Toowoomba. Cheesburger is illegal, and if you doubt me on that, check with your local council, or ask Mr Plow.

I like to ride the tracks, and don't ride the bits I don't feel comfortable but to have the attitude of "I want to make it techical and 'advanced' and if you don't like it then just piss off" is the wrong atttude to have. It is the same as me having the attitude "I like to ride really simple tracks and any track work done I will demolish, and if you want 'advanced tracks' go somewhere else".

I am asking the people who are doing this to have some more sense and to think of the other people who might ride the track, and might not have the same skill level as yourself. I am all up for NS, hucking, and having a blast while making something a chalange, but there needs to be an opportunity for ALL riders to enjoy the track, not just yourself.

Simply stated, clean up your act or someone else might clean it up for you, and I am sure there are some very proficient cleaners out there.

style whiskey said:
I'll start off by saying that you(as in every person that rides mtbs) should ALWAYS either ride the track that your riding extremly slow the first time for that session of runs that your going to do or even walk up/down it.
Just for clarification. I ride that track a few times a month, and I don't expect the changes to be so severe every time I ride them. I also like to ride more for endurance and XC, rather than do repetitive runs of the same track.

For instance, my ride on Sunday was from Westridge, through Queen's Park, down Rifle Range, through the Bridle trail to the top of the Downhill Track, through the Bridle Trail through to Bridge Street, through the Bridle Trail through to the Range, across the highway, past the Rangers Hut, through the Bridle Trail, to the bottom of South Street, up South Street to Drayton Road, down Alderly street back to Westride.

Last edited:

SCHOEY

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good to some like minded guys showing a bit of common sense.

Wounds heal, but confidence doesn't as quickly. Hitting a line after you have had a good crash on it is like riding it for the first time again. (Scary)

We have limited places to ride in T'Bar, so we have to accomodate to all levels of riding abilities. Not just if you can't ride it go somewhere else. Or if it's to easy make it harder.

Look at the downhill track, there are still lines for the more novice riders right through to the expert.