Rally Pace Notes

aaronzor

Likes Dirt
Ok quick question if anyone knows the answer

been watching the rally lately, and i wondered how does the passenger dude who reads the driver the pace notes know when to say them, like say they are going around a corner how the hell does he know which corner and when to say the notes :rolleyes: i have no idea how it works
like what if he reads them too fast wouldnt he get confused which ones he has read and which ones he hasnt??

anyone know how it works?

kizza01

Likes Dirt
The co driver drives the course slowly before and uses that experience and maps to write the notes. if u watch, they are also looking up as well to see where they are. i think this is rite i read it on rally australia website.

aaronzor

Likes Dirt
lmao i would be the WORST for that job i would be like
left sharp turn oh look at that hot chick lol :D

Wattsy

Hornsby Cycles
Dedication to the job, these guys read by different numbers to tell the driver how big or sharp the corner is and by what speed he should approch it at. I believe damo is a co-driver?

Drew.

Eats Squid
I was talking to this guy i met (Who is currently a 4WD racer), but he used to race rally, he was saying this one time, He was going through a desert track, but it was in the middle of a massive sand storm, so his vision was blocked, so the co-driver had to tell him what to do, and the driver had to do it without sight...

So these co-drivers have to be VERY good navigators, and if they make 1 mistake it could lead to the loss of a race or injury.

It's crazy.

kizza01

Likes Dirt
In the Rally of GB. the dirvers regularly turn off their lights as the fog is sooooo bad and rely on the pace notes. this is not even being able t osee 3 ft in front of the car