Recommend a good mechanic (melb area)

benketch

Likes Bikes
As mentioned earlier, I'm quite sure astroboy racer has shut his workshop for now. He was really good though. The guys at My Mountain do a good job.

Garrath

Likes Dirt
Strange I've always been called if there is a change to the work that is needed. As for his shock mechanic, my front and rear shocks have never felt better and he spent sometime with me setting them up for me afterwards. For me it was the best shock service I have ever received. Oh well such is life.

simonj

Cannon Fodder
Reply from Quality Bicycle Repairs for redbruce...

Redbruce, Simon from Quality Bicycle Repairs here... I wasn't aware that your friend wasn't happy with his fork service or at least the cost etc. As the old saying goes, " If you're happy please tell your friends, if you're not happy please tell us!" - If you would be kind enough to have your friend contact me, I would be very anxious to discuss what happened and find a solution he will be happy with! I am,however, pleased that the complaint wasn't that the fork was leaking oil immediately after being serviced! But you are right, not good enough and I would like to sort this out. Cheers, Simon J.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Tom at Yarra Valley Cycles has some mad skills (pakenham most days)
Hmm. Another bike shop (Lilydale store) I've had problems with fork servicing.

Wont bore you all here so PM me if you want to follow up.

Last edited:

redbruce

Eats Squid
Redbruce, Simon from Quality Bicycle Repairs here... I wasn't aware that your friend wasn't happy with his fork service or at least the cost etc. As the old saying goes, " If you're happy please tell your friends, if you're not happy please tell us!" - If you would be kind enough to have your friend contact me, I would be very anxious to discuss what happened and find a solution he will be happy with! I am,however, pleased that the complaint wasn't that the fork was leaking oil immediately after being serviced! But you are right, not good enough and I would like to sort this out. Cheers, Simon J.
Will pass it on.

For the record, recently had 3 of the family, plus two friends forks serviced and only one needed needed seals (fork was over two years old), the other reused seals didnt leak.

I have a fair bit to do with motorcycles and we dont replace seals at the annual service unless they look well used. Whether serviced by my mechanic or myself I've never had a leak after service either.

After speaking with a number of people in the bike trade (here and O/S) about fork servicing in general (and reiterated in recent magazine articles), I'm yet to hear of the requirement to replace seals every time you open a fork, let alone one with less than 10hrs on it.

Is it possible that some in the pushbike trade are over servicing in order to manage their risk, but at the consumers expense.

Last edited:

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey mate

I get all my yeti bikes serviced by Astroboy cycles in collingwood not really a shop just a mechanic with cool retro stuff but he knows his shit

Used to Australian team mechanic and rock shock service

Worth and reasonably priced
Paul was up at the Garmin 24 on the weekend and is definitely still servicing, great mechanic.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Is there anyone you recommend, in melbourne or sydney, that does good fork servicing?

Ta.
Tekin in Melbourne, but they only do Fox.

The other plus here is that for minimal extra they can tune it to your needs. I have had both fork and shock on my Yeti done and it is a completely different (much better) bike now.

Although I have no personal experience with them, several riding buddies use and recommend http://www.astroboyracer.com/

John at YVC Lilydale
PM'd you with our experience here. Doesnt quite match yours by the sounds of it.

Last edited:

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mate teach yourself. If you're riding lots you're the best mechanic. YouTube and forums are your friend.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mech

Used to be a mech, I'll do it for a six pack of something boutique. Will finish said payment during work so no guarantees on quality.