Recommend me a 4WD?

frostbite

Likes Dirt
I need to buy a car within the next 2 months or so seeing as the headgasket just went in my 86 mazda 323 and now added to the number of other problems it already has, I'm sick of it and its going to go to the wrecker as its not worth fixing.

I am strangely drawn towards getting a second hand 4WD. What I want it for:
- Driving around town, parking in a small carpark in my apartment. My car usually sits unused 5 days of the week as we ride our bikes/train to work. We really only bust out the car on weekends. Occasionally we drive in city traffic during the week, but I could do without it anyway.
- Weekend getaways. Camping, MTB, surfing (in the future.. maybe.. my girlfriend is keen to learn).
- Chuck 2-3 bikes in the back comfortably along with enough gear for a weekend away. Seats can fold down for this.
- 4WDing. Ive driven proper 4WDs on two occasions for a week or so each. During this time I've took them both offroading and I really really really enjoyed it. I'd like to be able to go do beginner/intermediate trails. I dont need 33" tyres and the ability to drive over a two storey house, but proper 4wd tracks would be awesome.
- If I could sleep in the back on an inflatable mattress this would be a bonus.
- In the future I might have the opportunity to tow a boat around but I wouldnt use this to select one car over another.

My price range isnt particularly high (about 10-12k ...if we could wait 6 months for the car that'd be another story).

I am pretty comfortable working on my own cars (I've always done it, helping my dad fix the family cars since I was about 14) and I would do as much of this as possible myself including pretty much all the servicing.

I would like a reliable 4WD, 'safe', decent on petrol (or LPG conversion if possible) and preferrably around 97-98 upwards. Now the funny thing is that I like XJ Jeep Cherokees which really.. well.. suck on all those grounds from what I can tell. A 98/99 seems to be within my grasp with about 150k or less on the clock. They burn 12-15L/100k and while the later models can be had with dual airbags they get an average safety rating. From what I can tell they have issues with overheating and seeing this is what killed my mazda, if I purchased one I'd be upgrading the cooling system right off the bat with aftermarket radiator + water pump and possibly new fan (found this info on the aus jeep forums).
Anyone here had any experience with them?

Landcruisers are probably too big (and too expensive) and so are grand cherokees and patrols from what I can tell. I havent really considered landrover discoverys as I've heard horror reliability stories... are these accurate?
The other option I should probably consider is something like a subaru forrester which will do everything I need except for the 4WDing, but for the same money I'd prefer a proper 4wd.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Seriously tho, a Prado sounds like it would fit the bill for you, I'd go turbo diesel instead of petrol as the early ones, both 4 cyl and the v6 are pretty thirsty.

sram001

Likes Dirt
I think your going to have a hard time finding a fuel efficient, reliable, safe 4wd for even 12 grand especially (by the sounds of thigs) a wagon 4wd. a forester can have a few mods done to do Some FWDing but you wont get one for under 16 without lookin at over 300 000 on the dash, then spend 10 G's getting it up off the ground. in my opinion, to get what your after, your looking at round the 20G mark. but who knows, just check out car sales or car point, u might find a bargin!

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mitsubishi Delica L400 V6 on gas. Reason I say the V6 instead of the 2.8TD L400 is the older TD's were not as reliable as they should be. V6 is a much better option. For the price your looking at you would be looking at the older 94-96 models with all the bells and whistles.

Will do everything you want except maybe fit in the carpark.
more info here

frostbite

Likes Dirt
I think your going to have a hard time finding a fuel efficient, reliable, safe 4wd for even 12 grand especially (by the sounds of thigs) a wagon 4wd. a forester can have a few mods done to do Some FWDing but you wont get one for under 16 without lookin at over 300 000 on the dash, then spend 10 G's getting it up off the ground. in my opinion, to get what your after, your looking at round the 20G mark. but who knows, just check out car sales or car point, u might find a bargin!
Yeah I realise this is probably going to be the case, which is why the jeep is an attractive option because its in the price range despite being quite average in terms of fuel efficiency, reliabilty and safety. I only drive about 10-12,000km a year anyway so fuel efficiency isnt a huge concern (I guess).

Having a look at prados, the only ones in my price range are pretty high mileage, not too sure about these just yet. Please keep any suggestions coming though.

Last edited:

Duskfire

Cannon Fodder
You could go for a Pajero.
They are pretty good mate they are very well equiped and can tackle most thing you could throw at it and you could get a 1995-1999 one.
The only draw back is the engine the only one in your price range is the 1.8 liter not powerful.....
The other one which the screen keeps on coming up again and again is the landrover freelander might be small but it is a good bargain also low km (40000- 90000):eek:.
I think your right with the landy disco myth one of my mates has one and its radiatior blew(the dosent happen on the 2005+ models).

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
The options listed are pretty tough. Safe, good, 98 model, 12k....

Jeep/Chryslery - avoid. Big horrible spongy things, crap to repair, crap to drive, and so on.

If you take safe off the list, you'll probably be able to find some gnarly decently built Hilux, old Landcruiser even, but they won't be too 'nice'.

Possibly a Subaru Wagon? Depends on how 'off road' you really forsee yourself.

frostbite

Likes Dirt
If you take safe off the list, you'll probably be able to find some gnarly decently built Hilux, old Landcruiser even, but they won't be too 'nice'.

Girlfriend doesnt want a ute, or something too rough so those are out basically. She's going to be driving it as well, and despite the fact that she's pretty fiesty I dont think she'd enjoy battling something too rough around town by herself.

As for the subaru wagon - I have considered these. Originally I was set for an outback but getting the idea of a 4WD. If it doesnt pan out, I'll probably end up with one of these or just a regular station wagon.

I'm not going to do huge amounts of 4wding as I'd still like to have ttme to ride my bikes and do other things, but every month or two I'd be keen to get out for a day or weekend. I guess if it came down to it, I dont do any 4wding now and I'm happy so I coudn't really miss it right? I would like to go on a 2-3 week trip around Vic/NSW at the end of the year though, and would be nice to have a 4wd for that.

I'm going to have a look at increasing budget for this. I realise 12k is probably a bit unreasonable for what I _want_ but for what I _need_ its plenty so not sure that I want to spend heaps more.

In the meantime - Are pathfinders (98-2000 ish) going to be decent performers offroad?

daever

lunatic rant extraordinaire
Jeep/Chryslery - avoid. Big horrible spongy things, crap to repair, crap to drive, and so on.
my family has had an XJ, grand, and a new cherokee all on lease and now a I have a 96 XJ. It sucks ass. Jeep suck, Poor ass quality. Americans can't build cars for shit. I totally agree with that statement...

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
few of my family members have disco's late 90's models with about 150-200k on dash, both paid in the region of 7-10k for them i pretty good nick, both on gas...

im not going to lie they are slow as.... somethign really slow. but so far seem reliable. and to the person who said his mates radiator blew, big deal, i seen a ferrari with a blown tire the other day. must meen they are not reliable. radiators go, it was probaly due to poor maintence.

forester are a bit smaller, and can be had for under 16k, with less then 200k on them no problem at all for 98-02 models. but not really built for 4wding.

Hungry

Likes Dirt
mate by reading your thread and seeing what you want to do id seriously consider either a 80 series cruiser wagon or a GQ nissan patrol wagon. both tough as guts and reliable. easy to modify if you really start to get into wheeling (4wd), both can take up to 33" tyres without too many dramas. slap a roof rack on for all ya camping gear. i rekon you could get a pretty decent GQ for out 10 - 12 grand with about 150kms on it. dont worry about the kms on the nissan as they are one of the most toughest and reliable engines out there not so sure about 80's but ive heard good reports about them. if you find a GQ try to get one with a 4.2L diesel in it. can run it up to 800kms and itll still go as hard as you bought it. ultimately if you can afford it get a NISSAN Patrol GU 4.2 Intercooled wagon.

just be a real man and get a GU 4.2 Intercooled ute:D

my 2 cents

good luck with ya pic anyway dude

Last edited:

BM Epic

Eats Squid
The options listed are pretty tough. Safe, good, 98 model, 12k....

There are plenty of gq turbo diesel patrols out and about for sale,best chassis to modify,try finding an unmolested hilux anywhere?

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
With 4WD's, there is PLENTY of crap around. Steer away from Pajero's, Explorer's, Hilux Surf's, Jeep's, Land Rover's...actually it's probably easier to tell you what to buy, rather than what not to buy.

Either a Hilux, Patrol and Land Cruiser. I've got a petrol extra cab Hilux ute, and it's fantastic. I get 600k's to a 70 litre tank, it sits on 120 on the highway, I don't have to get out to engage the hubs, it looks pretty trick and it's tough as guts...tough enough to jump over a metre high in the sand dunes west of Birdsville, with 400 kilograms of gear in the back!

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
There are plenty of gq turbo diesel patrols out and about for sale,best chassis to modify,try finding an unmolested hilux anywhere?
Note where I said 'gnarly well built Hilux'. I was referring to older 'built' 4wd's that come within the price range.

Thumbs up for a Patrol if you can get one and the Mrs will drive it. Might be more than you need though.

Danoz

Likes Dirt
land rover discovery TD5......ive had one for 5 years and ill never go back.....used to have an old one which was awesome then bought a mercedes benz ML320 which is the WORST CAR and then bought a new disco....havent had any problems at all (except accidents) but apart from that they are the best 4WD imo

sam_westy

Likes Dirt
Friend of mine got a nissian patrol jack up with all the componets needed( He is serious about the sport) for 6 grand. Whatever you get make sure its diseal.

Last edited:

frostbite

Likes Dirt
Appreciating the help guys. Having a look at patrols... so much more than I need, but the more adventurous side of me is loving it. Whats the 2.7l TD motor in the GU like? reliable? dead slow? If I could get something around 13l/100k out of it it'd become a serious contender.
If I had it my way I'd be looking at hiluxes too (first car my father suggested), but the missus has flat out rejected driving a ute and since we're in this together those are out. Thinking a prado might be the way If I could find one with a diesel in my price range.