Recommend me a turntable

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
New or used, whats a good way to spend a few hundred on a turntable?

Is classic better or are there genuine improvements in modern ones?

I’ve never owned one, but she wants one to dust off a box or two of LPs from eons ago :)

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Rega P1, Audio Technica lp120 (SL1200 clone, but in a good way).

These are your 3 best new choices - should be around $450 on special. First 2 are belt drive, 3rd is direct drive.

I've got the Pro-Ject - its simple in design and I like that about it. Need to take platter off for switching between 33/45 which isn't that bad really.

Kicking myself I sold my 1200s years ago - those things are worth a bit now and hard to find. The reissue is extremely expensive.

Anyway, for fecond hand you're going to want to be sure you can get a new belt for it straight away, and a new cartridge. Unless restored to some degree (there is Duratone in Phillip which sell older 2nd hand stuff (trade in etc), I think its a bit overpriced, but they do have some kind of warranty).

Haakon

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Rega P1, Audio Technica lp120 (SL1200 clone, but in a good way).

These are your 3 best new choices - should be around $450 on special. First 2 are belt drive, 3rd is direct drive.

I've got the Pro-Ject - its simple in design and I like that about it. Need to take platter off for switching between 33/45 which isn't that bad really.

Kicking myself I sold my 1200s years ago - those things are worth a bit now and hard to find. The reissue is extremely expensive.

Anyway, for fecond hand you're going to want to be sure you can get a new belt for it straight away, and a new cartridge. Unless restored to some degree (there is Duratone in Phillip which sell older 2nd hand stuff (trade in etc), I think its a bit overpriced, but they do have some kind of warranty).
I like the project in walnut. And I’m reading they make turntables for NAD as well, will assist in acceptance seeing as it will be connected to the old 3020

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I see a big opportunity to write an app that injects scratching, wow and flutter into too clean digital music.

The retro world will rejoice in a degraded level of quality for their mp3s. Keeping it real, homies............

Scotty T

Walks the walk
You can borrow one of my Vestax PDX DJ turntables for a month or two if you just want to dust off old LPs for nostalgia. You can also throw down some DJ scratches without damaging your records. @droenn spewing I never bought some 1200's when they popped up cheap before becoming super rare!

Haakon

You can borrow one of my Vestax PDX DJ turntables for a month or two if you just want to dust off old LPs for nostalgia. You can also throw down some DJ scratches without damaging your records. @droenn spewing I never bought some 1200's when they popped up cheap before becoming super rare!
Cheers, but she wants one for keeps. She likes buying quality and buying once, so whilst it might get used rarely she wants it to be the last one she buys.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I've got the Audio Technica LP120 and rate it. Good quality, but bigger and bulkier than other options out there.

I don't think vinyl necessarily sounds better than CD, but I have a heap of old records I love, plus will likely inherit my dad's collection one day which has all of David Bowie's discography and a lot of classic aussie bands.