Recommend me some kevlar beaded 26" slicks for commuting

axertes

Likes Dirt
Hey all. I have some cheapie Innova 26x1.25" slicks for making my XC HT a commuter.

Two problems with the wire bead:

1. Bloody heavy
2. I'm spoiled by my kevlar XC tyres and the ease of removing them. Removing the slicks is such a chore, especially when I want to change them over to my knobbies to do strange things with my MTB like, er... MTB.

Apart from that I love riding around town on the slicks. So, any recommendations? I'm guessing that the 1.25-1.5" width range would be best. Most importantly. I'd like something that is easy to remove.

Also, does anyone rate the hybrid-type grooves like on the Maxxis Detonator, or do you prefer proper slicks? I've found my completely slick Innovas to be fine.

Thanks in advance! :D

Edit: also, I know that this isn't the for sale section, but if anyone wants to buy my Innova slicks for the price of, say, postage and a sixpack, then PM me. They've got 90+% tread left.

Last edited:

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Was in the same position a year ago... I ended up buying a cheap set of rims instead, easier to swap wheels over than tyres......

Science

Likes Dirt
I use a set of IRC Metro 1.50 slicks for street use, but i never have any trust in them under brakes.
So i was looking at a set of HookWorms. Yeah. 2.40 hookworms. its finding non 2 ply walls thats been an issue. No-one stocks the ones i want! ARGH!

What i find interesting is why Maxxis do a downhill specific HookWorm. Who the f would downhill on slicks?!

axertes

Likes Dirt
Was in the same position a year ago... I ended up buying a cheap set of rims instead, easier to swap wheels over than tyres......
That's interesting. I discussed that idea with my LBS guy and he reckoned that because if issues of the spacing of hubs that I might have trouble and have to keep readjusting brakes, derailleur etc. I liked the idea because it would be a great excuse to get nice new rims (I have stock XTC2 wheels ATM - Mavic somethingorother rims and Deore hubs, plus Deore discs and XT cassette). Has this been an issue for you? Is it less likely to be an issue if I get Shimano hub, discs, cassette? I'd recycle my old Deore cassette, and use my old discs for the commuter wheels I suppose.

copenbas

Likes Bikes
honestly, it takes like 5 minutes to change tyres, if you have a decent floor pump. Some slick recommendations:
Specialized Armadillo 26x1.5 - hard wearing and very puncture resistant. Cost around 75
geax Evolutions: 26x1.95 super big fast rolling semi slicks for the commuter who has some trails for the ride home. $45?
maxxis detonators: 26x1.5 good tyre, just not a lot of puncture resistance.$40
xeniths or similar: super slick 1.5s, have no tread, and no protection from punctures. from $40

You are better off investing in a good floor pump or compressor and tyre changes take no time. you have to factor in cassette wear with different wheels, or having to remove each time, and transfer, plus all the extra cost is silly. i would keep separate tubes for each tyre, so it is easy to transfer.
My personal choice of the lot would be the specialized followed by the Geax.
There are a lot of tyres out there, I have just found that these work...

-Macca-

Squid
I run a set of Tioga City Slickers on my bike, but they have a steel bead.

The City Slicker Pro's (click here) have a folding bead though..

Science

Likes Dirt
Just reading that bit in the link by macca, about some protection against cuts to the sidewall, made me remember somthing.
Has anyone ever managed to cut the tread surface of a slick? I have a 5mm square section that i cut under, so that it lifts up on my slicks. Think it was coused by a skid on gravel but i'm not real sure.

Should i worry? It's not showing canvas, and it holds air.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I use Specialized fatboy 26-1.25 slicks when I use the hardtail as a commuter (currently).
They are light, super fast, nice and tacky and they grip lick demons even in the wet.
They are a full slick and at about 80psi they just belt along.

They are only 1.25 wide but have a higher profile so you get a slightly bigger bag than some other 1.25 tyres.
I live in Hobart and the roads can vary from smooth tarmac, lumpy slab concrete roads, old bluestone roads, and it's eats them all up nicely.
Dunno about the kevlar, but has flat jacket technology apparently for less flats (Marketing BS?).
I have ridden continental slicks, hookworms, ritchey tom slicks, schwalbe city jets and the fatboys are by far my favourite.

It's all personal though.

http://www.specialized.com/au/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=42215&menuItemId=0&eid=0

Attachments

Binaural

Eats Squid
Xeniths roll well and corner excellently, but pick up more shit than zookeepers due to the breadth of the central rolling contact patch. Vredsteins are a little on the narrow sides but are just about the fastest rolling middle-volume slicks I've used. My old MTB commuter I've lent to mates back in Australia has some Italian branded tyres that are the duck's nuts - I can't remember their name. V something? Continental do a nasty slick as well, but I can't recall the name.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Not really much help, but the idea of changing wheels, isnt really that great.

as has been said, think of cassette wear, chair wear, rotor wear.

all the added cost's, yeah you may want a new set of rims, but do you want to spend the extra 100+ bucks on a new set of rotors?? the 100+ on cassette, chain etc. for the amount of money you put into it, you could almost buy a whole bike, purely for commuting!

changing tyres with practice should take less then 5 minutes a wheel with QR.

cant help with slicks sorry. i have a roadie for city duties.

hugh0147

Likes Bikes
I'm going to disagree with the changing wheels thing.
I'm all for it. but I change the cassette, so run the one cassette between the two sets of wheels. I find its easier to swap the cassette over than two tyres.
Also, I had a spare set of wheels already, so no set up cost for me.

Tyre recommendation: Vittoria Rubino Pro slicks, 26x 1.5 approx $70ea.

Come in foldy and wire bead. I'm using the wire beads, as they're cheaper, and I don't swap tyres over.

Newton

Likes Dirt
I commute on my XC bike, I was changing tyres for about 9 months then got jack of it, bought another set of rims, but instead of buying cheaper rims I bought a set of second hand Simano XT UST rims, rotors and cassette, so I upgraded and kept the old set as the commuters, which also serve as spare rims for racing events.

Having a second set of rims means that I can keep my racing wheels setup as tubelss with latex, the road set are set up with slicks and tubes. After a SC ride on the Sunday, it's a 2 minute job to switch rims ready for the commute monday morning.

As I 've posted in another thread, component wear is all about chains, and cleanliness of the drive train - I rotate through three chains and regularly clean the chains, sprockets and cassette. Rather than leaving one chain to stretch (wear out) and have the drive train degrade with the life of one chain, I share the work across three chains - it's not hard to clean & rotate the chains.

Cheapest I've found the Maxxis Detonator Tyre 26 x 1.50 is HERE $24.95 and the post is normally less than $10.00

Last edited:

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
I hate changing tyres, but then again as I have two bikes I discovered it was easier changing bikes than tyres.

A recommendation I got from a bike shop in Brisbane was Continental Ultra Gator Skins. They come in both wire and kevlar versions (the shop dude reckoned no one bought the kevlar ones, so he stopped stocking them), they have a kevlar armour belt on them, and apparently cycle commuters have great results with them. They're 1 1/4" tyres, so they're pretty narrow.

I've not had them for long, but they're very quick rolling compared to running knobbies. They're not cheap either ($75 ea for wire versions, can get cheaper online though).

Considerations on their use:
Pros:
They're fucking quick. They roll much easier than my knobby tyres.
Excellent wear (not proven by me, but others have also said the wear is fantastic).

Cons:
If you run rubber rim strips, expect to be replacing tubes until you get new rim tape. I got 3 punctures in a week due to this.
They run high pressures, don't expect to be pumping them up properly with a cheap MTB pump. (Same goes for getting stuck by the side of the road).
You can't buy tubes for them easily. Every person I ask in a shop for a tube (see above for punctures) tries to sell me a 2 1/4" instead of the 1 1/4" tube I ask for. They've generally got them in stock, but expect to be sold the wrong ones.

I've also got a Maxxis Xenith 1 1/2" slick, it doesn't appear to be wearing anywhere near as well. I prefer the Gatorskins.

frensham

Likes Dirt
get another bike just for commuting, saves the wear and tear on your pride and joy. Recently picked up a 92 Giant Cadex 3 for very little. Spent about $100 on tyres, brakes, dual purpose pedals etc. It's only 21 speed but runs beautifully - great for commuting

Matty_P

Likes Dirt
I'm using the same tyres you're wanting to get rid of - the Innova 1.25's on my old Avanti HT which is now my dedicated commuter. On wider rims the Innova's are tough (nee impossible) to get off - especially annoying on a 5 degree day & you get a pucnture while riding. But with appropriate rims they're fine. I'm lucky enough to not have to worry about using the same bike off & on road though.

Did 5000km on the Innova's last year commuting here in Melbourne. 1 puncture. Up to 100psi. $9 each (on sale last week) plus delivery from T7. Not bad value in my opinion. Have also used the 1.5's which weren't too bad either.

axertes

Likes Dirt
Did 5000km on the Innova's last year commuting here in Melbourne. 1 puncture. Up to 100psi. $9 each (on sale last week) plus delivery from T7. Not bad value in my opinion. Have also used the 1.5's which weren't too bad either.
Yeah I've prolly done 1000km on mine and never had a puncture. Maybe I should stop being a pussy and get tyre levers lol.

get another bike just for commuting, saves the wear and tear on your pride and joy.
Like the new wheelset idea, this is also unworkable for the near future as I have about $200 to my name. One day I'll build a sweet commuter. But for now 'pride and joy' has to be a workhorse.