Recommendations for a fun enduro bike?

Cyclomaniac

Likes Dirt
Hi motas, I have had a couple of Konas. Is it the same frame as the one in my sig? If so it can be very poppy with lots if volume spacers in the shock or in my case being over sprung. It always bobbed under pedaling which it why I updated it to the newer frame. The newer model pedals great and still feels lively.

motas

Likes Bikes
More pressure may help, otherwise try more LSC ?
Will give it a go in the morning, but I still need to buy a bike :D.
Hi motas, I have had a couple of Konas. Is it the same frame as the one in my sig? If so it can be very poppy with lots if volume spacers in the shock or in my case being over sprung. It always bobbed under pedaling which it why I updated it to the newer frame. The newer model pedals great and still feels lively.
No it's the later model Process 153 like this one:

At this point I'm leaning towards getting the Canyon Spectral CF 7.0. The reviews are excellent and seems to be the best value carbon bike around at $4,350.

Cheers guys!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Other options include the Pivot or Santa Cruz bikes but they are exy.
I think that $4 budget was for the whole bike, not just a frame...but yes these are delicious bikes.

Suspension style will often come down to personal preference. I prefer a virtual pivot set up, such as those used by Santa Cruz, Pivot, and banshee. I find they have a floating feel with less hook up through chunder. But this makes them slower for bunny hops and jumps, but maybe that isn't the kind of snappy you're after? I also run a bit less sag in the rear end than Ultra pants recommended. I like about 20-25%.

motas

Likes Bikes
So jumped on the bike for a bit of a test. I'm sitting around 20% sag front and rear. Should I make them softer?

motas

Likes Bikes
I also had it on very fast rebound. I've lowered the pressure in the back to around 25% sag and made the rebound about in the middle front and rear. Will give it a go.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
try and get a test ride on a shorter travel bike mate, if your after a more sprightly pedaller that doesn’t feel limo ish the kona might be abit too much bike.

I’ll be interested in hearing what you have to say after all your fiddling with the squishy bits.

And regardless of branding, you don’t need a big enduro bike to race enduro haha.

motas

Likes Bikes
I've been wondering for a while if rider weight should influence travel. I'm 173cm and 57kg, and I'm starting to think I simply don't need that much travel even if I'm on gnarly downhill tracks, but i don't want to spend money testing that theory and regretting it.

I only have time for a little play on some dirt jumps bit it's seeming less pressure feels a bit poppier, I'd guess because it's sitting further into its travel and higher on the ramp up of an air spring. I'm going to drop the pressure a bit more to your recommended sag and see how it feels. 100psi in the rear shock is only 20% sag .

Thanks for all the help!

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Gotta go with @Ultra Lord here. Sounds like you want something more lively.

Tranny Smuggler
Evil Following MB
New Kona Process 134?
Banshee Phantom
YT Jeffsy

I’m sure a heap of others out there in that style of shorter travel but still burly.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Gotta go with @Ultra Lord here. Sounds like you want something more lively.

Tranny Smuggler
Evil Following MB
New Kona Process 134?
Banshee Phantom
YT Jeffsy

I’m sure a heap of others out there in that style of shorter travel but still burly.
Don't discount Trance 29...or if the budget extends, Pivot Trail 429 or Ibis Ripley.

motas

Likes Bikes
I’d jump on this. Buy it before I end up with another bike I don’t need.
https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/bikes-frames/complete-bikes
Size large :( and I'm still unsure on the 27.5/29 decision. Will try to get on some test rides.

I think I am still leaning towards the Spectral or the Jeffsy. They are both targeted as trail bikes which will hopefully be a bit more lively than an enduro, but they still have basically as much travel. Not sure if this is the best of both words (long travel but easy to pedal) or the worst of both (heavy but not burly). The reviews on both are excellent, and the price is great (the Spectral even more so). The only issue is I'm going to have a hard time testing them, hopefully I can get a test ride on the Canyon though given they are based in Melbourne, but I'd say the YT is impossible.

Buying a bike would be easier if there wasn't so many options to choose from!

Thanks again for all the help I really appreciate it.